October 02, 2014, 10:42:28 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announces the EOS T5i  (Read 22585 times)

JoeDavid

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Announces the EOS T5i
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 12:03:33 PM »
Definitely the same old sensor technology (higher ISO shots)...

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos100d/

Are you sure? In the Sky of the Nightscene I would expect more banding. But these are JPEG anyways so what I'd like to see is a pushed RAW in order to see if it still has the same banding.

If there is less banding, my guess is that the DIGIC 5 might account for that.  I was referring to the noise and the heavy handed noise reduction attempting to suppress it (along with the fine detail...).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 12:03:33 PM »

tomsop

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 12:19:06 PM »
I may need to revise my prior remarks that the T5 does not have improved video auto focus. I read the product announcement closely for the other smaller Canon and I would assume that this new technology would also be in the T5 so perhaps we will see improved video autofocus. If so, this is a reason for me to finally buy a camera from Canon. Here is the quote:

The new AF system also includes a new Hybrid CMOS AF II sensor, which provides a wider focus area when shooting photos or video in Live View mode, and a continuous AF speed that’s increased from previous EOS models.

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 12:21:40 PM »
The expectations here at CR was sky high with the anticipation of a 70D and all we get is a Rebel. While the disappointment is obvious, was anyone in their sane minds expecting a technological breakthrough in a Rebel?

I don't think this camera is aimed at existing DSLR users and the CR community here. This may end up entirely as a replacement for one of the lower Rebels on which Canon may just pull the plug.

BTW, Canon must have a logic for delaying the substantial upgrades to its lineup but right now it's just getting impossible to fathom.
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

DArora

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »
I would assume that this new technology would also be in the T5 so perhaps we will see improved video autofocus.

Unfortunately thats not the case here.
Only SL1's press release says that it has Hybrid CMOS AF II with wider area coverage. T5i's Press Release has no such information. Also, DPReview has not mention any thing about improved hybrid AF in their preview for T5i. It seems that Canon has put this new hybrid AF only in the smaller DSLR.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:36:16 PM by DArora »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 01:16:17 PM »
The only other significant change made over and above the 650D is the ability to preview and apply Canon's 'Creative Filter' processing effects at the point of shooting, rather than adding them as a post-shot process.

I have it on the 60d, I wouldn't want to use it even when starting photography... imho this is a no-feature.

Quote from: Canon
The incredible image quality and performance starts with an 18 megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor and Canon’s superb DIGIC 5 Image Processor. Combined with an extensive ISO range of 100-12800 (expandable to 25600 in H mode), the EOS Rebel T5i boasts crisp, detailed images, even in low-light conditions.

Yeah, right - incredible iq from this sensor (in comparison to a mobile phone?), crisp/detailed images with a kit lens and shooting in low-light on crop (with tripod?) ... the Canon marketing guys are about to be hit by lightning.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »
What I don't understand is why everyone is so quiet about the Powershot 280 they released at the same time.... it kicks ass for a p/s.... better processor than the rebels, way more movie modes, a 20x zoom in a tiny package... GPS.... WiFi..... seriously kicks Rebel butt in so many ways!

If they put some of those features into a Rebel it would be a game changer.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:39:21 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »

Yeah, right - incredible iq from this sensor (in comparison to a mobile phone?), crisp/detailed images with a kit lens and shooting in low-light on crop (with tripod?) ... the Canon marketing guys are about to be hit by lightning.

Unlikely ... or else they would already have been struck by lightning for royally screwing up the AF on the 6D.
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 01:36:24 PM »
MFA? No, never on a rebel, we've established that.

Meanwhile Nikon does do it on their "Rebel".

And meanwhile again, Canon actually pulls the feature from the xxD line...

So sorry if it agitates you that I remind them of how stupid their idea is...
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 01:37:16 PM »
Great!  Now the T4i will get cheaper!

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2013, 01:40:26 PM »

Unlikely ... or else they would already have been struck by lightning for royally screwing up the AF on the 6D.

Huh?

All the field reports I've heard of the 6D suggests that it actually has quite remarkable autofocus performance, including that it focusses better in very dim light than any other camera ever made.

Sure, it doesn't have as many points. And, yes -- of course! -- it doesn't perform as well as Canon's top-of-the-line cameras like the 1Dx and 5DIII. But it would seem to have the best autofocus of any midrange camera ever made.

If that's a royal screwup, I sure wish I could screw up that royally more often....

b&

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »

The lightning is using the new and improved live view tracking system to aim at the Canon execs....
The best camera is the one in your hands

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »

Huh?

All the field reports I've heard of the 6D suggests that it actually has quite remarkable autofocus performance, including that it focusses better in very dim light than any other camera ever made.

Sure, it doesn't have as many points. And, yes -- of course! -- it doesn't perform as well as Canon's top-of-the-line cameras like the 1Dx and 5DIII. But it would seem to have the best autofocus of any midrange camera ever made.

If that's a royal screwup, I sure wish I could screw up that royally more often....

b&

1 x type AF points looks like a royal screw up when the crop bodies are coming up with more x type Af Points. But then, maybe I am spoilt with the 5d3.

Point is, the 6D shouldn't have been crippled to such a great extent. What was preventing Canon from putting in a 7D sort of AF system is anyone's guess. It has been done on purpose and I don't see how anyone can defend that.

The low light AF is indeed a nice feature but then ... Could have been waaaay better!
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »
Canon is milking the cow.

I said they were heading down this road as far back as 2007 and that everyone needed to make their voices heard full force now rather than later before thing got entrenched and everyone called me a ridiculous troll for suggesting such an absurd thing.  ;D  I still recall the Canon exec going on, more or less (not quite direct quotes ;) ) about how Canon was infinitely ahead of Nikon for FF sensors and it might be a decade before they could even release one and they scoffed at the need to produce fast or different FF bodies and said they were the supreme kings and could sit upon the hill and laugh and milk their product lines for all they were worth.

That said they have still done some good stuff too. And lots of nice lenses certainly. They have made some of their best lenses ever the last half decade.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »
What I don't understand is why everyone is so quiet about the Powershot 280 they released at the same time.... it kicks ass for a p/s.... better processor than the rebels, way more movie modes, a 20x zoom in a tiny package... GPS.... WiFi..... seriously kicks Rebel butt in so many ways!

If they put some of those features into a Rebel it would be a game changer.

It does sound interesting. This is primarily a DSLR message board though.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »
MFA? No, never on a rebel, we've established that.

Meanwhile Nikon does do it on their "Rebel".

And meanwhile again, Canon actually pulls the feature from the xxD line...

So sorry if it agitates you that I remind them of how stupid their idea is...

You should switch to Nikon and only get only 1 MFA number for $2700 ;)

Are the T4i and T5i bodies exactly the same??

It looks like the SL1 might be positioned to take over the Rebel line.  If the SL1 sells well, I wouldn't be surprised if all future Rebels are sized like the SL1.

+1.....Clearly, canon is loossing in mirrorless market, therefore, they are forced to release small size DSRL. Both Sony and Fuji will cont to take BIGGER bite in this market. I started with Canon and DO NOT wish to switch to another brands.

My 2cents: Sony will soon releases FF mirrorless with exchangable lenses, and here canon releases :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( As an owner of Sony RX1, I enjoy this camera SO MUCH. Sony did it, where is CANON??????????????????????
Above and beyond what was necessary in to convey your thoughts, you you realize exactly how many extra ones and zeros had to die for this post?  Don't you know there are people in China who don't have internet and you're wasting ones and zeros?  ;D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »