September 15, 2014, 09:16:22 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announces the EOS T5i  (Read 22168 times)

AshleyAshes

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Announces the EOS T5i
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2013, 10:52:43 PM »
Has anyone noticed that DPReview's overview of the camera lists MJPEG support?

Typo, error, or does the T5i/700D actually support MJPEG for video?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2013, 10:52:43 PM »

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2013, 11:05:45 PM »
They should have named it the T4i mark II  ;D
+1

Nope.  In 5D to 5D2, the change is quite remarkable (MP, video, 14-bits, etc...).  Even 1d to 1d2 to 1d3 to 1d4, they've got nice improvements.  They should just named it T4i with new firmware update.
+10
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2013, 12:14:26 AM »
It would have been great if they put a swivel screen on the SL1 and called that the T5i. Releasing a camera with virtually no changes, let alone improvements, it seems that they really are just taking advantage of people.
-100% RAW-

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2013, 12:23:41 AM »
To all the people who stand up for Canon no matter what happens and defend the similar sensors, FPS, no AFMA, lame AF and lack of new features on rebels by saying things like, "what do you expect"....
well, I expect lower prices for the same products over time, or increased features at similar prices. This is technology after all, not furniture or vegetables.
Things should always be improving or the prices should come down..... end of story.

The reason why Canon continues to offer these less than exciting products is because some people will defend them no matter what, and uneducated consumers will continue to purchase whatever is new regardless of how much better it is than the previous product.
My advice to friends and beginners to the camera world would be to buy a used 550D, 7D, or D7000. If they want new, I'd say get a Nikon D3200, D5200, D7100 or get a NEX.  I truly hope the 7DII and 70D are awesome, but they are nowhere to be found. This isn't trolling, there just isn't anything compelling to me from Canon below the 5DIII. I'm sure others may disagree.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

killerBEEcamaro

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2013, 12:28:54 AM »
They should have named it the T4i mark II  ;D
+1

Nope.  In 5D to 5D2, the change is quite remarkable (MP, video, 14-bits, etc...).  Even 1d to 1d2 to 1d3 to 1d4, they've got nice improvements.  They should just named it T4i with new firmware update.

True, but in reality T5i is a T4i with a new name with very very minor updates. Renaming it the T5i will trick many, but IMO it makes more sense just to name it a T4i mark ii "the same camera with a tweak".

Either way, this camera should have had at least a better upgrade....
CANON 60D | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM| EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS| EF 50mm f/1.8 II

ddashti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2013, 01:09:16 AM »
Without significant differences, I'm guessing this will appeal mostly to those who are "new" to the DSLR scene.

iP337

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2013, 01:25:32 AM »
Has anyone noticed that DPReview's overview of the camera lists MJPEG support?

Typo, error, or does the T5i/700D actually support MJPEG for video?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that, the only other time Canon has used MJPEG in a DSLR is in the 1Dc for 4K video but I wouldn't get my hopes up for any of these models.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2013, 01:25:32 AM »

Jason

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2013, 03:38:37 AM »
Would you agree that the 7D MKII will most likely have a DUAL Digic 5 setup?

It seems to me that would make it a great step up from the current 7D as the flagship crop sensor, even if it stays at 18MP.  With 19 cross point fast focusing, faster processing with the new chip set and so on, a more sturdy body to comfortably hold heavier and faster L glass without creaking, it seems like an amazing sports and wildlife (including the elusive bouncing, laughing 3 year old) camera in the making for those of us who can't make the leap to the 1D level AND afford awesome lenses (due to said 3 year old).

Right now, I am still squeezing the life out of my Rebel XTi.  When I had the choice to make between upgrading my camera or buying lenses with my budget, I opted for the brand spankin' new 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, instead of jumping up to the 7D because the 7D had already been around for like a year and a half.  That lens should serve me for a solid decade.

So, personally, I am very patiently waiting for the 7D MKII to come along with its faster, hopefully DUAL chips and other refinements to the system that will make it incredibly rewarding to enjoy using, along with that amazing lens.  While I hate to wait and wait, I feel like every month that goes by will be all that much more worthwhile for it.

ewg963

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2013, 03:40:54 AM »
this is pure arrogance of a market leader.

i really hope canon is loosing market share like mad in 2013.
but that won´t happen.. i know. 

nikon seems to have people who are really interested in photography and deliver products that at least show some improvements.

while canon is full of managers who see nothing but numbers.
+100
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-105mm 70-200mm 2.8 Non IS, 100-400mm 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2013, 03:44:11 AM »

Yeah, right - incredible iq from this sensor (in comparison to a mobile phone?), crisp/detailed images with a kit lens and shooting in low-light on crop (with tripod?) ... the Canon marketing guys are about to be hit by lightning.

Unlikely ... or else they would already have been struck by lightning for royally screwing up the AF on the 6D.

Huh?

All the field reports I've heard of the 6D suggests that it actually has quite remarkable autofocus performance, including that it focusses better in very dim light than any other camera ever made.

Sure, it doesn't have as many points. And, yes -- of course! -- it doesn't perform as well as Canon's top-of-the-line cameras like the 1Dx and 5DIII. But it would seem to have the best autofocus of any midrange camera ever made.

If that's a royal screwup, I sure wish I could screw up that royally more often....

b&

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

TrueFocus

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2013, 03:53:53 AM »
The masses will keep on buying Canon products, no need to waste money innovating. They are not after the enthusiasts, really.

That drove me to buy a K-5 as my first DSLR. IQ, in-body IS, 7FPS (~25 pic RAW buffer), sealed, ergonomics, legacy lens support. Then there is the D7000... I see no advantages in going Canon right now.

That's a bummer, because I really wanted to buy a Canon. The first DSLR I ever handled was a 350D.
Canon will release an awesome sensor eventually, but only once the market really forces them to and I don't like staying behind and waiting for others to innovate.

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2013, 04:02:50 AM »
With 5.0 fps Continuous Shooting and a 9-Point All Cross-Type AF System, it's quite obvious that this new release was aimed directly at soccer Moms... Am I the only one that sees that? 

the 650D had the exact same features...same fps, same AF borrowed from 50/60D
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

heptagon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2013, 04:06:33 AM »
With 5.0 fps Continuous Shooting and a 9-Point All Cross-Type AF System, it's quite obvious that this new release was aimed directly at soccer Moms... Am I the only one that sees that? 

But it didn't have the same picture effects... instant Upload to Facebook is still missing though. (I hear the 750D will come out soon.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2013, 04:06:33 AM »

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2013, 04:23:50 AM »

But it didn't have the same picture effects... instant Upload to Facebook is still missing though. (I hear the 750D will come out soon.)

yap i saw they added something like multi shot noise reduction
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2013, 04:46:36 AM »
To all the people who stand up for Canon no matter what happens and defend the similar sensors, FPS, no AFMA, lame AF and lack of new features on rebels by saying things like, "what do you expect"....
well, I expect lower prices for the same products over time, or increased features at similar prices. This is technology after all, not furniture or vegetables.
Things should always be improving or the prices should come down..... end of story.

The reason why Canon continues to offer these less than exciting products is because some people will defend them no matter what, and uneducated consumers will continue to purchase whatever is new regardless of how much better it is than the previous product.
My advice to friends and beginners to the camera world would be to buy a used 550D, 7D, or D7000. If they want new, I'd say get a Nikon D3200, D5200, D7100 or get a NEX.  I truly hope the 7DII and 70D are awesome, but they are nowhere to be found. This isn't trolling, there just isn't anything compelling to me from Canon below the 5DIII. I'm sure others may disagree.

+++++1

Yep, because of all that frankly I don't even know why I'm still Canon, my main lenses are Sigma's 70-200, 35mm and Tokina 16-28 2.8. The latter two beat Canon's offerings and at far less the cost, while the 70-200 is "good enough" and less than half (faster AF and sealing would be welcome though).
But back to that, if anyone is interested in a 'good camera' then I direct them to one of the endless options of mirror less cameras, fixed lens cameras from Fuji and friends, and if not an older/used Canon for the good price, like the 7D / T2i, then Sony or Nikon. The latest Canon? Well.. sure... you can give them money for a 4 year old camera re-relased for the umpteenth-time, I'm sticking with my 5DII which still outperforms the latest in IQ after 5 years.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2013, 04:46:36 AM »