August 20, 2014, 11:09:34 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announces the EOS T5i  (Read 21665 times)

Plainsman

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Announces the EOS T5i
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2013, 05:23:20 AM »
Underwhelming 700D from Canon.
Could the 70D also retain the old 18 Mp sensor?
eg 60D plus AFMA!
I am still hopeful the 7D2 will have the new sensor but I think delivery will be much much later than rumoured  - maybe 2014 - look what's happened to the 200-400/4.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2013, 05:23:20 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2013, 05:58:32 AM »
for DR yeah they coudl easily add not just one but even 3 stops at low ISO and some more high ISO DR too

Imho Canon simply isn't able to raise dr a lot with the current sensor generation (max something like 5d3->6d update), they might do better with the next but that will trickle down to Rebel only after many years - the old production facilities are cheap to be used, that's why we always see the 18mp sensor again and again.

Could the 70D also retain the old 18 Mp sensor?
eg 60D plus AFMA!

+ wifi/gps (if they can put it in next to the flash) + touchscreen + more fps + faster video (1080p/60) + better video lv af (digic6)? Maybe, I wouldn't be surprised if Canon postponed the real sensor upgrade to the 7d2 in the end of 2013 (delivery: sometime 2014)...

CTJohn

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2013, 08:09:35 AM »
At least it appears the confusion of the T3 and T3i combo of a couple years ago is no longer in Canon's marketing arsenal.  Unless someone has heard of the brand new T5 about to be introduced?
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * Powershot S110 * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2013, 08:13:52 AM »
<div name=\"googleone_share_1\" style=\"position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;\"><g:plusone size=\"tall\" count=\"1\" href=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=13168\"></g:plusone></div><div style=\"float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;\"><a href=\"https://twitter.com/share\" class=\"twitter-share-button\" data-count=\"vertical\" data-url=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=13168\">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>New Canon EOS Rebel T5i Digital SLR Camera Packs Performance With New Creative Controls<br />

</strong>Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, is proud to introduce a new flagship model to its popular EOS Rebel line, the EOS Rebel T5i Digital SLR Camera. The incredible image quality and performance starts with an 18 megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor and Canon’s superb DIGIC 5 Image Processor. Combined with an extensive ISO range of 100-12800 (expandable to 25600 in H mode), the EOS Rebel T5i boasts crisp, detailed images, even in low-light conditions. With a continuous shooting speed of up to 5.0 frames per second (fps) united with 9 all cross-type AF focus points, the new EOS Rebel T5i allows photographers the opportunity to shoot with ease, even in challenging shooting situations.<strong><br />

</strong></p>
<p><strong>Product Highlights</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>STM Lens Support for Quiet AF in Movies</li>
<li>18.0MP APS-C CMOS Sensor</li>
<li>DIGIC 5 Image Processor</li>
<li>3.0″ Vari-Angle Touch Screen LCD</li>
<li>ISO 100-12800, Expandable to 25600</li>
<li>Full HD 1080 Video with Continuous AF</li>
<li>5.0 fps Continuous Shooting</li>
<li>9-Point All Cross-Type AF System</li>
<li>Multi Shot Noise Reduction</li>
<li>Compatible with Canon EF and EF-S Lenses</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Preorder the EOS T5i: <a href=\"http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/945049-REG/canon_8595b001_eos_rebel_t5i_dslr.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296\" target=\"_blank\">B&H Photo</a> | <a href=\"http://www.adorama.com/results/canon-t5i?KBID=64393\" target=\"_blank\">Adorama</a></strong></p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p><strong>MELVILLE, N.Y., March 21, 2013 –</strong> Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, is proud to introduce a new flagship model to its popular EOS Rebel line, the EOS Rebel T5i Digital SLR Camera. The incredible image quality and performance starts with an 18 megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor and Canon’s superb DIGIC 5 Image Processor. Combined with an extensive ISO range of 100-12800 (expandable to 25600 in H mode), the EOS Rebel T5i boasts crisp, detailed images, even in low-light conditions. With a continuous shooting speed of up to 5.0 frames per second (fps) united with 9 all cross-type AF focus points, the new EOS Rebel T5i allows photographers the opportunity to shoot with ease, even in challenging shooting situations.</p>
<p>When shooting in Live View mode, the Hybrid CMOS AF system enables speedy and accurate autofocus for photos and video. Coupled with Canon’s new EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, available in the standard kit lens bundle, the EOS Rebel T5i takes full advantage of the Stepping Motor (STM) technology, which allows the lens to smoothly and silently focus on the subject whether it is moving or standing still. When combined with the camera’s high-resolution Vari-angle Touch Screen 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor II and intuitive touch controls, the EOS Rebel T5i stands as Canon’s most “consumer-friendly” DSLR.</p>
<p>“Built to make advanced photography creative and fun, the EOS Rebel T5i Digital SLR Camera gives users exceptional image quality and fast, intuitive operation along with creative functions to help advance photographic expression,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies & Communications Group, Canon U.S.A.</p>
<p><strong>Expand Your Creativity with New Advanced Features</strong></p>
<p>The EOS Rebel T5i provides amateur and advanced photographers looking to hone their creative and technical skills with a range of features that allow for crisp, clear images.</p>
<p>Whether it is adding saturation to a vivid landscape or applying a unique, vintage touch to a portrait, users who want to express their creativity can experiment with different effects and settings, composing a shot, by using one of Canon’s seven Creative Filters. When the Creative Filters are applied in Live View, users can preview the filter on the vari-angle three inch LCD touch screen without having to shoot the image first. Effects such as ArtBold, Water Painting, Grainy Black and White, Soft Focus, Toy Camera, Fish-Eye and Miniature let users pick and choose how to best express their creative vision before or after the image is captured.</p>
<p>The EOS Rebel T5i features advanced shooting modes to take creative imaging even further. When using one of the advanced shooting modes such as Handheld Night Scene, HDR Backlight Control or Multi-Shot Noise Reduction, multiple images are taken and combined within the camera to help create the best quality image based off of the shots taken. Providing quick and easy accessibility, a new mode dial with Scene modes has been included, allowing users the flexibility to select the subject matter while the camera determines the optimal settings.</p>
<p><strong>Enhanced EOS Full HD Movie Mode</strong></p>
<p>The EOS Rebel T5i offers easy-to-use professional video capture. When users switch to EOS Full HD Movie mode, the EOS Rebel T5i offers the ability to shoot in 1080p Full HD video in a number of recording sizes and frame rates. With Canon’s Hybrid CMOS AF System and Movie Servo AF, the camera provides continuous AF for focus tracking of moving subjects by helping to reduce the camera’s need to “hunt”, resulting in a quick and smooth continuous AF. While shooting with one of Canon’s Stepping Motor (STM) lenses, such as the new EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, the camera will only capture the stereo sound of the scene being recorded. For added flexibility, the EOS Rebel T5i also features a built-in stereo microphone with manual audio level adjustment to enhance sound quality.</p>
<p><strong>Expanded Lineup of STM Lenses</strong></p>
<p>Canon is expanding the lineup of STM lenses by adding one new lens, which now gives users three choices that will allow for the capture of stunning images and video with the EOS Rebel T5i – the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM and the new EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens. The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens offers high magnification in a compact and lightweight EF-S standard zoom lens with an optical image stabilizer for up to four equivalent stops for shake correction. When paired with the Hybrid CMOS AF, it allows for smooth and quiet, continuous AF for photo and video capturing – making it the perfect combination for preserving those once in a lifetime moments.</p>
<p><strong>Availability</strong></p>
<p>The EOS Rebel T5i Digital SLR camera is scheduled to be available in April for an estimated retail price of $749.99 for the body alone; $899.99 bundled with an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens kit, and $1,099.00 with the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens kit.</p>
<p>The new EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens also is also scheduled to be available separately in April at an estimated retail price of $249.99</p>

You meant canon re announces   the 650D/T4i ..... pathetic.

Vagabondman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2013, 08:40:11 AM »
The more I think about it, the fact that Canon didn't put wifi into the T5i(700D) or for that matter even the new SL1 is kinda perplexing/frustrating. Both these can be considered Canon's flagship entry level DSLRs for people migrating from point & shoots to more serious photography. We live in a world of iPhones & instant uploads. I thought the inclusion of wifi in last years "affordable" FF was a sign of things to come for Canon's future entry level DSLRs....but alas no.

I think Canon missed a real opportunity here. For one thing, wifi would have made the T5i an ACTUAL upgrade lol and not just in name only!....but it'd also be a REALLY useful & popular feature for consumers. Not to mention the fact that it'd help differentiate it from competitors like Nikon's offerings at a time when many are thinking Nikon is doing all the innovating lately.

I dunno. I still consider myself firmly in camp Canon, and not because I own tons of expensive Canon glass(I don't)...but even I am questioning some of Canon's moves lately...or lack thereof.

I know in this age of instantaneous feedback via the Internet, its easy to appear troll-ish....but there's legitimate criticism to be made here by Canon lovers. Maybe Canon will hear the grumbling coming from camp Canon. Wether they listen is another matter. I think until it begins to effect their bottom line, they won't. So, it'll be up to Nikon to take advantage of Canon's missteps and light a fire under their butts.

Having said all that, I cannot wait to check out Canon's new small SL1 DSLR in person. As an avid World traveller who likes to bring only carry on aboard planes...the size does intrigue me. I know some are upset that Canon didn't offer up a more professional EOS-M....but I am not as upset about this move. The thought of slapping a nifty-fifty or 28mm lens on the SL1, hoping on a plane and shooting some street photography in a foreign city is kinda exciting.

I just have to see if the SL1 is gonna be too puny in my giant man hands lol.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:49:02 AM by Vagabondman »

Ladislav

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2013, 09:23:44 AM »
The more I think about it, the fact that Canon didn't put wifi into the T5i(700D) or for that matter even the new SL1 is kinda perplexing/frustrating. Both these can be considered Canon's flagship entry level DSLRs for people migrating from point & shoots to more serious photography. We live in a world of iPhones & instant uploads. I thought the inclusion of wifi in last years "affordable" FF was a sign of things to come for Canon's future entry level DSLRs....but alas no.

I think Canon missed a real opportunity here. For one thing, wifi would have made the T5i an ACTUAL upgrade lol and not just in name only!....but it'd also be a REALLY useful & popular feature for consumers. Not to mention the fact that it'd help differentiate it from competitors like Nikon's offerings at a time when many are thinking Nikon is doing all the innovating lately.

I agree with missed opportunity. WiFi was something I definitely expected in the new version. Together with touchscreen they make stellar features for mass market. Canon already have application for iOS and Android to communicate with 6D. It could be just extended for T5i and make this huge differentiation to other entry level DSLRs.
6D | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 70-300 L IS | 430 EX II | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 + MH054M0-Q2

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2013, 09:40:23 AM »
+ wifi/gps (if they can put it in next to the flash) + touchscreen + more fps + faster video (1080p/60) + better video lv af (digic6)? Maybe, I wouldn't be surprised if Canon postponed the real sensor upgrade to the 7d2 in the end of 2013 (delivery: sometime 2014)...

Sounds reasonable.  Canon really seems to want to get the most out of that old sensor fab.  I remember people complaining about it when the 60D came out...  I wouldn't be surprised if they just keep with it until their market share starts dropping, and even then...  The 7D2 may just try to compete on fps and AF.  That's the problem with insisting on using your own fab (and not renting it to others), there is a huge cost associated with building a new one and decommissioning the old one.  Nikon has given itself a lot of flexibility by using other company's fabs, and Sony has been able to finance their fab by renting it out to Nikon and others.  Even major chip companies share fabs, see nVidia and AMD.
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2013, 09:40:23 AM »

Vagabondman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2013, 10:37:52 AM »

I agree with missed opportunity. WiFi was something I definitely expected in the new version. Together with touchscreen they make stellar features for mass market. Canon already have application for iOS and Android to communicate with 6D. It could be just extended for T5i and make this huge differentiation to other entry level DSLRs.

Yup. They sure did. It's just odd that the last DSLR canon released, the 6D and the new power shots got wifi....but they leave it out of both the new entry level DSLRs the t5i and the SL1? Makes no sense if ya ask me. But hey...it's not my company. I'm just a consumer.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2013, 10:43:33 AM »
I'll not be surprised if 70D and 7D2 will sport the same 18MP sensor... Maybe some other features will be improved but if they're not going to upgrade their sensor technology, I'm still expecting the old 18MP sensor.  Anyway, I just hope they can drive 6D's price down a little bit more.

Vagabondman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2013, 11:07:37 AM »
Wishing doesn't make it so unfortunately...but these were on my wishlist and were unfulfilled. :-(

Canon 6D....swivel & touchscreen

Canon T5i.....GPS & WiFi

Canon SL1.....swivel screen, GPS & WiFi

Oh well.

heptagon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »
I'll not be surprised if 70D and 7D2 will sport the same 18MP sensor... Maybe some other features will be improved but if they're not going to upgrade their sensor technology, I'm still expecting the old 18MP sensor.  Anyway, I just hope they can drive 6D's price down a little bit more.

If they had a new sensor ready i'm sure they would have told us. If they had it ready by now, they'd release either the 70D, 7D2 or both. They didn't which means they don't have the sensor ready. Now they can postpone it but they need to release something. So they wait a bit and then release a camera with the old sensor and some gimmics like WiFi, touch-screen or slightly better framerate and AF. 70D gets single card no sealing, 7D2 dual card slots and sealing. Then we wait for the new sensor to arrive in about 2015..16..17.

hmmm

« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »
New sensor?  New sensor?    We don't need no stinkin' new sensor!   We got Digic 6 coming!

Here is an excerpt from the SX270/280 press release:

"The HS System pairs the new DIGIC 6 processor with a 12.1 Megapixel high-sensitivity CMOS sensor to deliver exceptional images in low light, with minimal blur and noise, as well as wide dynamic range – perfect for capturing shadowy detail as the sun sets on holiday. Using the DIGIC 6 processor and HS System, users can enjoy shooting with incredible ISO sensitivity, up to ISO 6400, with outstanding results."

Canon couldn't be thinking that the same old 18MP sensor will be just fine in the 70D and 7D mkII because of Digic6 ...  could they?    ???

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2013, 05:04:15 AM »
Canon couldn't be thinking that the same old 18MP sensor will be just fine in the 70D and 7D mkII because of Digic6 ...  could they?    ???

You can improve jpeg noise reduction with a faster cpu and better algorithm, and you can lower banding with better readouts. The 70d might also get a better noise pattern like 5d2->5d3. And you probably can bump dynamic range a bit with the same sensor tech (see minor dr increase 5d3->6d) - but that's about it.

But Canon has a whole fleet of marketing people, and the less real innovations there are the more they matter and have to perform their magic - to the point of satire as these press releases prove.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2013, 05:04:15 AM »

rihanishtiaq

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account:
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2013, 06:02:47 AM »
I hope the 70D or 7DII will not disappoint us.. may be it's worth the wait..

60D--50mm1.8 II--18-55 IS--YN 560--Lowepro Slingshot 102AW
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meftasadat/

Vagabondman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2013, 08:13:57 AM »
Perhaps this non update signals that Canon intends to phase out the T5i rebel series and eventually replace it with the SL1 series. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:16:36 AM by Vagabondman »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2013, 08:13:57 AM »