October 31, 2014, 08:59:02 AM

Author Topic: Congratulations Canon to another great Camera release!!  (Read 45373 times)

thedman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Congratulations Canon to another great Camera release!!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »
Do people think the new low-end budget model was supposed to break new DSLR ground with revolutionary new features never seen on a camera before?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »

CHR20000

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 10:33:11 AM »
Do people think the new low-end budget model was supposed to break new DSLR ground with revolutionary new features never seen on a camera before?

Yes they do. I'm pretty happy for now with my T2i. Waiting for the 70d, even with the 18mp sensor...

wrlphoto

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 10:47:57 AM »

No. At least for me Im disappointed that they released two new rebels but not a 70D or 7D2. the 60D is nearly 3 years and the 7D is 4 years. They are overdue for an upgrade, not the rebels - especially when the rebel wasnt really upgraded at all except for adding a new small model.

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 11:08:16 AM »
Anyone have any idea how the SL1will stack up against the 5Dii / iii in low light? I'm a 5Dii owner and want to know if I can get decent high ISO out of it as a backup camera...

I highly doubt it'll be any better than any other APS-C... if you're used to FF performance, you'll likely be disappointed. That said, I've never owned FF, and I find the 7d to be perfectly serviceable... you just have to open your lens all the way up, shoot as slow a shutter speed as possible, or give up and bounce a flash. So to answer the question, it probably wouldn't hold a candle to the 5dII, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't function as a backup in a pinch...
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

Zlatko

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »
We see the same comments every time a new camera is released ...

Some people are quick to criticize any camera that doesn't meet their specific needs.  They see their personal needs for a camera as the only true path for a camera manufacturer, and don't grasp that cameras take different forms to meet the diverse needs of photographers in the world.  And some feel that features can be added with no added cost or labor, and are quick to criticize a manufacturer for leaving anything out.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »
ummm... you expected significant advances in the rebel lineup?  What are you smoking? 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

iMagic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »
I was thinking of maybe a baby DSLR for convenience. BUT, no AFMA no sale. Canon, you just lost a potential sale because you don't realize that the baby DSLR could be for newbies and advanced users who want portability.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »

thedman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 11:23:53 AM »
Canon, you just lost a potential sale because you don't realize that the baby DSLR could be for newbies and advanced users who want portability.

What, is it not portable?

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 11:37:08 AM »
My reactions are mixed:

T5i - WTF!

SL1 - will probably sell well, but not the camera for me

Power shot 280 - looks like a nice camera.... I have been waiting to replace my p/s and this looks like it will do.

The best camera is the one in your hands

dunkers

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 11:44:13 AM »
5D3 | 60D | 100L IS | 70-200L II IS | 24-105L

interpilot

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 12:01:51 PM »
Straight from the Canon Japan website:

Shot at ISO 1600
http://canon-premium.webcdn.stream.ne.jp/www09/canon-premium/eosd/samples/eos100d/downloads/06.jpg

Well, that pretty much confirms it to me. Looks pretty much like my 550d; I can already see the hallmark red/green blotches of pattern noise without even attempting to lift the shadows.

Let's hope they'll do better on the 70d. I don't see why they couldn't. From what I've seen, this problem is much better controlled on the 5d3/6d?

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »
My reactions are mixed:

T5i - WTF!

SL1 - will probably sell well, but not the camera for me

Power shot 280 - looks like a nice camera.... I have been waiting to replace my p/s and this looks like it will do.

Keep in mind that the Canon is targeting low end amateurs (spelling?) with the T5i and needs to introduce new cameras, if only to keep people interested and to appear to be improving their line up (to compete with Nikon, ...).  Many camera buyers are not knowledge and they either will go to the store for advice and ask for the latest model (or the salesman will say this model is only 3 month old - implication that newer is better) or check out sites like dpreview.com and look at dates and stars.  newer is always better, all things being equal.

Unfortunately those of us (very numerous on this site but not in the gen pop) buy high end equipment but make a small fraction of sales for Canon, Nikon, ...

Artifex

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 12:20:59 PM »
Always funny to see people complaining that the new low-end camera aren't focused on professionals users needs. The fact is that both these camera's target audience are amateurs who just what to make a few good looking picture easily. The great majority of them have no idea what are AFMA, DR or other. The thing they will see, though, is that they can get just as good picture from this camera that the last model but it is of smaller size, so it is more portable and more practical for them.
Although some might fell "cheated" by Canon, just remember that it is a corporation; its only goal is to make profits, just like any other corporation. They are making the products they think will sale best, and according to the success of those low-end camera, it seems they are doing a good job in it.
6D, 550D; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, Zuiko 28mm f/3.5, Samyang 35mm f/1.4, Zuiko 50mm f/1.8, Sears 55mm f/1.4, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5, Kenko Extension Tubes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 12:20:59 PM »

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 12:23:18 PM »
OK, now I'm baffled.  This now gives me four alternatives - T3i, T4i, T5i and Twhatever - with very little difference - specs, price, capability - between them.  Canon must have a plan, but right now it looks
to me like different internal development groups were set loose and everything was released.  The new "baby" Rebel doesn't look small enough to draw m4/3 users, the new standard Rebel doesn't have enough "new" features to draw upgrade users.  To quote the king of Siam, "tis a puzzlement!"
The new lens looks promising though, particularly for video users.

Drum

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 12:54:27 PM »
The biggest laugh in all of this is I just checked my local canon website and the line up has removed the 650d but kept the 600d..... obviously this is just a ploy to keep the prices inflated with the "new" model.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 12:54:27 PM »