October 20, 2014, 10:06:00 AM

Author Topic: Congratulations Canon to another great Camera release!!  (Read 44408 times)

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
Re: Congratulations Canon to another great Camera release!!
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »
anticipating a Canon announcement is like an adult sitting up on Christmas eve watching the fireplace for santa.
empty stocking?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 01:38:16 PM »
Interesting Graphic

Artifex

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »
Always funny to see people complaining that the new low-end camera aren't focused on professionals users needs. The fact is that both these camera's target audience are amateurs who just what to make a few good looking picture easily. The great majority of them have no idea what are AFMA, DR or other. The thing they will see, though, is that they can get just as good picture from this camera that the last model but it is of smaller size, so it is more portable and more practical for them.
Although some might fell "cheated" by Canon, just remember that it is a corporation; its only goal is to make profits, just like any other corporation. They are making the products they think will sale best, and according to the success of those low-end camera, it seems they are doing a good job in it.

nonsense....

the complains are about that canon sells a camera as NEW that has barely anything new on it.

What is funny is that people seems surprise. As stated before, the reason Canon does camera is to make profits. The low-ends body always get yearly release because this is how the market work. This is a bit like complaining that the Toyota Yaris 2013 is pretty much identical to the Toyota Yaris 2012; cars get yearly release, even though significant changes are only made every now and then. The same marketing logic is apply to consumers camera. The fact is it take lots of years of research to significally improve technology. Furthermore, I don't think lots of people upgrades from a XXXd camera to another one, and if so, I can only guess it can take quite a few years. Those camera aren't made for people who own a 600d or 650d, they are made for people who owns P&S and what something better. People who already own a XXXd are more likely to keep it for quite a few years if it fits there needs, or upgrade to XXd or Xd if not.
6D, 550D; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, Zuiko 28mm f/3.5, Samyang 35mm f/1.4, Zuiko 50mm f/1.8, Sears 55mm f/1.4, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5, Kenko Extension Tubes.

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 02:11:37 PM »
....This is a bit like complaining that the Toyota Yaris 2013 is pretty much identical to the Toyota Yaris 2012; cars get yearly release, even though significant changes are only made every now and then.
And for a lot of folks, that Yaris is just fine, does what they need.  There are appropriately priced high-end models available for those that want them.  The car-camera analogy is exactly what I've been thinking.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 02:12:08 PM »
Always funny to see people complaining that the new low-end camera aren't focused on professionals users needs. The fact is that both these camera's target audience are amateurs who just what to make a few good looking picture easily. The great majority of them have no idea what are AFMA, DR or other. The thing they will see, though, is that they can get just as good picture from this camera that the last model but it is of smaller size, so it is more portable and more practical for them.
Although some might fell "cheated" by Canon, just remember that it is a corporation; its only goal is to make profits, just like any other corporation. They are making the products they think will sale best, and according to the success of those low-end camera, it seems they are doing a good job in it.

nonsense....

the complains are about that canon sells a camera as NEW that has barely anything new on it.

Car manufacturers do it all the time from model year to model year, especially their bottom line series of cars....  It's a beginners camera... dont get your panties in a twist... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »
Interesting Graphic

It is interesting -- thanks for posting.  Add an EVF and some dials to the EOS-M and the length and width are similar.  The depth is bit larger to accomodate the mirror box, but then you also get a useable grip and phase detect AF.  Definitely wouldn't mind having one as a backup camera -- wouldn't take up much space in the camera bag.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 02:23:10 PM »

nonsense....

Car manufacturers do it all the time from model year to model year, especially their bottom line series of cars....  It's a beginners camera... dont get your panties in a twist...

X1000

It's a just a Rebel, they come out like clockwork, and the changes have always been minor from year to year.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 02:23:10 PM »

TheBadger

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 02:32:08 PM »
Midrange is dead. It's either now toyish rebels or full frame DSLRs.
"Qui audet adipiscitur"

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 02:37:36 PM »
Using Canon since 1983, being not a fanboy I yawned to read about the sensor: APS-C, 18MP.
The new M, xxD, xxxD.....
Yes, it is possible to make good pictures, but an innovative company sometimes brings innovations.

Sometimes.....

caMARYnon

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2013, 02:54:30 PM »
Interesting Graphic

It is interesting -- thanks for posting.  Add an EVF and some dials to the EOS-M and the length and width are similar.  The depth is bit larger to accomodate the mirror box, but then you also get a useable grip and phase detect AF.  Definitely wouldn't mind having one as a backup camera -- wouldn't take up much space in the camera bag.
+1
5D mkIII + P&S S45; 35 f2 IS; 100 f2.8L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; EF 1,4x III; 600EX-RT; 270EX

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 02:56:13 PM »
you could buy a 7D . . .

I've heard those things take decent photos occasionally . . .

I think you're barking up the wrong tree.  Judging by the comments above, most of the people posting on this thread don't take photos... I would be surprised if any of them even own a camera.

Judging by your comment above.... I would be surprised if you didn't work for Canon marketing.  ;D

MrFotoFool

• Canon 70D
  • 5D mk3
    • View Profile
    • HoodFineArt
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 02:56:49 PM »
Does anyone remember the film days, when a new camera model was introduced every five years or more?  Now anything over a year and people are freaking out.  I started on the fantastic manual Pentax K1000 which had about a 20 year production run (and I am pretty sure is the best selling camera model of all time).

OK, the t5i does seem unnecessary - why not stick with t4i?  But the SL1 I think is great and I am glad they offer it body only.  Not for use with large lenses, but with a 20mm Voigtlander pancake for the ultimate quality point and shoot.  If I can save up, I may go this route.

Funny how people think 18MP is not enough in an entry level crop sensor camera, yet I see very few complaints about the flagship full frame pro camera 1DX being only 18MP.  The rebel line is entry level - do you really think its users are making 40x60 inch enlargements?  (I work at a pro lab and I am virtually certain the SL1 and t5i will make very nice enlargements up to 24x36 inches - how many people need more?).

As for AFMA, I use a 5D2, I have large aperture lenses, and I have never had a need for AFMA.  Plus, no one is using large aperture lenses on these cameras and it would just be another confusing menu item.  I teach beginning photo classes at my lab and trust me, there are way too many menu options already - the average person does not want and will never use all those settings.

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 03:10:46 PM »
As for AFMA, I use a 5D2, I have large aperture lenses, and I have never had a need for AFMA.  Plus, no one is using large aperture lenses on these cameras and it would just be another confusing menu item.  ... trust me, there are way too many menu options already - the average person does not want and will never use all those settings.

+1  ;)
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 03:10:46 PM »

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 03:11:34 PM »
But the SL1 I think is great and I am glad they offer it body only.  Not for use with large lenses, but with a 20mm Voigtlander pancake for the ultimate quality point and shoot.  If I can save up, I may go this route.

Well, the $650 body-only price will need to calm down to more reasonable street price before I consider SL1, but stick the Canon 40 mm f/2.8 lens most of us have anyway, and it should be nicely portable and sharp.

Still, if Canon doesn't bring some REAL improvements for next generation of bodies, more customers for Sonikon :P

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 03:14:03 PM »
Canon failed at a mirrorless camera so they said, "Lets just make the SLR really small. So small the advantage is lost to not having a mirror" Voila! The SL1. Personally, If it was a FF camera that size, We'd all have our minds blown.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 03:14:03 PM »