April 19, 2014, 06:57:13 AM

Author Topic: Congratulations Canon to another great Camera release!!  (Read 35715 times)

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Congratulations Canon to another great Camera release!!
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
If anyone if worries about AFMA, then they aren't the target audience for this camera...  The people who are the target audience are those who say, of look cool, it has video!

there are plenty of people who can only afford a xxxD body.
they spend more for lenses and AFMA would be usefull for them.

Of course I would love a lexus, but if I could only afford a Hyundai, I wouldn't expect to get high end lexus features in the Hyundai.  If you can only afford this camera, save up like just about anyone has to do, or if your set on getting this level of camera, send in your camera/lenses to be calibrated together...

well that´s one way to see it.

in my opinion AFMA is there so canon can get away with higher manufacturing tolerances.

it would only be FAIR when canon offers AFMA in all bodys so we can correct canon manufacturing errors ourself.

in the end everyone pays the same for a 85mm f1.2.. not?
a 600D user does not get a lens cheaper then a 1D X user.

the "cheap body customers don´t own expensive glass" argument is no argument and it´s wrong.
when you are clever, you buy the best glass and a cheaper body... not the other way around.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:37:58 PM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2013, 04:30:13 PM »
Here is a nice short review of hands on with a pre-production SL1.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/03/21/first-impressions-canon-rebel-sl1/

Interesting read, it looks like a little camera with a big heart 8)
5D3, 5D2, Sony NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: Ʃ19mm f/2.8 EX DN, Ʃ30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 OSS, 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes.

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2013, 04:34:42 PM »
If anyone if worries about AFMA, then they aren't the target audience for this camera...  The people who are the target audience are those who say, of look cool, it has video!

Of course I would love a lexus, but if I could only afford a Hyundai, I wouldn't expect to get high end lexus features in the Hyundai.  If you can only afford this camera, save up like just about anyone has to do, or if your set on getting this level of camera, send in your camera/lenses to be calibrated together...

LOL...and Canon service will set AFMA in their service menus that can't be accessed by users...

The point is it costs them nothing to add it and it would be yet another sales bullet. Just think of all the buzz there would have been right here in this very thread if it was announced it DID have AFMA?

The point is, even a Hyundai has cup holders in it...
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, Canon TC 1.4x III

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2013, 04:47:32 PM »
Good lord, this is why I need to stay away from the Canon forums for a few days after an announcement.  If you guys took pictures half as well as you whined about Canon, you'd all be professionals (and ironically, would complain far less about rebel series SLRs).

instead we all take crap pictures like you and complain about no innovation at canon....

Taking pictures > complaining.

well your not taking pictures right now, you are arguing here... so what?

when you are so good at giving advices... why not following them yourself?  :P

I'm at work, buddy.  I like to catch a few discussion threads in here when possible, usually to glean whatever I can from the more experienced members.

Like quite a few members of this forum, I use it as a learning tool -- particularly when I don't have my camera with me, such as my paid profession.  I take exception to those who prefer to clog the channels with their complaints about Canon gear.

I learned a long time ago that you shouldn't complain about the decisions you make.  I made the decision to invest in Canon gear.  Of course, I don't always agree with their product direction... but overall I am happy with my gear and feel it suits me.  If I ever feel differently, there's a very simple solution.

But "your" right... I should follow my own advice.  I'm definitely the one with too much time on my hands.
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2013, 04:54:49 PM »
I'm at work, buddy

yeah well maybe others are at work too?  8)
never thought about that uh?

and you seem to be pretty happy to take part in a discussion you think is useless... that´s what i call paradox.

But "your" right... I should follow my own advice.  I'm definitely the one with too much time on my hands.

glad you agree...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:06:52 PM by Canon-F1 »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2013, 05:00:23 PM »

LOL...and Canon service will set AFMA in their service menus that can't be accessed by users...

The point is it costs them nothing to add it and it would be yet another sales bullet. Just think of all the buzz there would have been right here in this very thread if it was announced it DID have AFMA?

Skiltron, the point is the average rebel user isn't an above average photographer... it's a person who goes to costco and see's a rebel as splurging...  It's the realtor that would rather do their own photos rather than pay for a pro to do them for them and wonder why the photos dont look right...  It's that soccer mom who wants to take the photos of little jimmy and dont give a rats butt about the horrid noise...  Then they read in the manual that oh yeah, it has afma, and has NO clue how to do it, or dont even read the manual in the first place and dont even know it's there... then canon has to deal with the morons who buy the camera, reads about afma, and then calls them asking how to do it, and have their employees on the phone with the people for 10-15 minutes at a time trying to talk them through it, wasting their time and money...  It's stupid... it's advanced... It's like getting a hyundai accent and complaining it has a stick shift saying it should have pedal shifters instead.  It's more than enough camera for what that target market is aimed for. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

sdsr

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2013, 05:07:48 PM »
I was thinking of maybe a baby DSLR for convenience. BUT, no AFMA no sale. Canon, you just lost a potential sale because you don't realize that the baby DSLR could be for newbies and advanced users who want portability.

Is a baby DSLR that convenient?  Canon's best lenses tend to be rather large and heavy and feel (to me, anyway) a bit awkward on a Rebel and would presumably feel even worse on an even smaller one.  If size and weight are an issue, mirrorless cameras (esp. Micro 4/3) make more sense to me; and with them, AFMA simply isn't an issue.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2013, 05:07:48 PM »

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »

Skiltron, the point is the average rebel user isn't an above average photographer... it's a person who goes to costco and see's a rebel as splurging...  It's the realtor that would rather do their own photos rather than pay for a pro to do them for them and wonder why the photos dont look right...  It's that soccer mom who wants to take the photos of little jimmy and dont give a rats butt about the horrid noise...  Then they read in the manual that oh yeah, it has afma, and has NO clue how to do it, or dont even read the manual in the first place and dont even know it's there... then canon has to deal with the morons who buy the camera, reads about afma, and then calls them asking how to do it, and have their employees on the phone with the people for 10-15 minutes at a time trying to talk them through it, wasting their time and money...  It's stupid... it's advanced... It's like getting a hyundai accent and complaining it has a stick shift saying it should have pedal shifters instead.  It's more than enough camera for what that target market is aimed for.

what are the sources for your claims?
you make this up out of the air i guess.

i know many photographer who only have a 550D or similiar entry level stuff.
some work in asia as pro photographer for magazines.
they borrow lenses as they need them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avikbangalee/

they just don´t have the money to buy a pro body!!
that does not mean they are all to stupid to know AFMA.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:15:38 PM by Canon-F1 »

Zlatko

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2013, 05:09:57 PM »
I teach beginning photo classes at my lab and trust me, there are way too many menu options already - the average person does not want and will never use all those settings.

Exactly!  There is a place for complex menus and advanced features, and this tiny camera isn't the place.  These cameras already have far too many settings for most people who buy them.  These buyers want good pictures, not more features.

People who freak out and complain about such things seem to have little understanding or appreciation for the needs of others.

As for the supposed lack of innovation, did Sony or Nikon just introduce the world's smallest and lightest DSLR today?  No, Canon did.  Somehow that innovation is overlooked. 

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2013, 05:13:15 PM »
People who freak out and complain about such things seem to have little understanding or appreciation for the needs of others.

calling the kettle black....  ::)

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2013, 05:16:29 PM »

what are the sources for your claims?
you make this up out of the air i guess.

i know many photographer who only have a 550D.
some work in asia as pro photographer for magazines.
they borrow lenses as they need them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avikbangalee/

they just don´t have the money to buy a pro body!!
that does not mean they are all to stupid to know AFMA.

I know some really good (and serious) photographers who used Rebels for a long time, a few still do.
especially students

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2013, 05:22:22 PM »
Does anyone remember the film days, when a new camera model was introduced every five years or more?  Now anything over a year and people are freaking out.  I started on the fantastic manual Pentax K1000 which had about a 20 year production run (and I am pretty sure is the best selling camera model of all time).

Yes, but as see below did they come out with an EOS651 and EOS652 just to put a new dial on them? No and look below:

OK, the t5i does seem unnecessary - why not stick with t4i? 

Exactly this one is a total waste. Waste of time making all new info for it, tooling up new housings, etc. Just keep the t4i out there another year then (with firmware update to add AMFA). How on earth can it not have at least gotten the wifi/network stuff?

As for AFMA, I use a 5D2, I have large aperture lenses, and I have never had a need for AFMA.  Plus, no one is using large aperture lenses on these cameras and it would just be another confusing menu item.  I teach beginning photo classes at my lab and trust me, there are way too many menu options already - the average person does not want and will never use all those settings.

Well, I have yet to find a body+lens combo that has worked best at AMFA 0.
I have found many cases where it made a radical difference.
I think the average person finds it more confusing when they aim at something and find the darn focus 3' in front what they aimed at in 2/3rd of their shots no?

Zlatko

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2013, 05:23:40 PM »

This camera will meet some people's needs very well.  They will absolutely love the size and weight, and the features that it does offer.  It is brilliantly built for them.  If you need AFMA or some other feature, buy a camera that has it.  Plenty of cameras do.  Not every camera needs to be designed to meet you personal needs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2013, 05:23:40 PM »

emag

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2013, 05:24:22 PM »
Here is a nice short review of hands on with a pre-production SL1.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/03/21/first-impressions-canon-rebel-sl1/

'twould be a good astrophotography camera if modified.  I have eyepieces that weigh more.  The shorty forty looks BIG on the SL1!

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »

This camera will meet some people's needs very well.  They will absolutely love the size and weight, and the features that it does offer.  It is brilliantly built for them.  If you need AFMA or some other feature, buy a camera that has it.  Plenty of cameras do.  Not every camera needs to be designed to meet you personal needs.

1000+  well stated
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »