October 30, 2014, 12:45:55 PM

Author Topic: Congratulations Canon to another great Camera release!!  (Read 45335 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Congratulations Canon to another great Camera release!!
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2013, 08:31:58 PM »
The more money Canon milks from its entry-level product line, the more money it has to invest in its pro and semi-pro gear. Sounds good to me ;D

yeah well it only has to show results some day....

I would say the 1Dx and the 5D3 are adequate results.

Aside from dominating the DSLR market, yes.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2013, 08:31:58 PM »

ishdakuteb

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2013, 08:46:03 PM »
The more money Canon milks from its entry-level product line, the more money it has to invest in its pro and semi-pro gear. Sounds good to me ;D

humans are never satisfied with what they have :) like we wants more holidays per year, so retailers or manufactures... but really different thoughts between the two since to retailers and manufactures more holidays mean more bussiness... LOL

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »

But that's only because we don't know what we're buying.

Zlatko

« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2013, 09:27:22 PM »

So it's somehow wrong to convince buyers to spend more money for more features?  Wrong to offer a diverse product line with products at different price levels?  Then we photographers should follow the same rules: never offer clients a way to spend more to get more.  Never offer any extra product for any extra money.  Offer just one product at one price, one size fits all?  Or, offer various products but all at the same price, no matter what it costs to make and service them? ???  In what galaxy does business work that way?

well you think like the typical brainwashed consumer slave and i can´t blame you for that.
but maybe you should think again before wasting so much time asking rhetorical questions.

i think it´s pretty clear why AFMA should be in any camera.
i don´t want all the 1D X features in all the cheaper bodys.

AFMA fixes a FLAW.... i could also ask for body and lenses that focus correct from the start.

It's pretty clear that AFMA should be in your camera.  It isn't clear that it should be in this camera.  Photographers don't all have the same needs as you.

This cameras will focus correctly from the start for the vast majority of users, even without AFMA.  The review on
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/03/21/first-impressions-canon-rebel-sl1/
indicates that the autofocus is "really good". 

AFMA recognizes that autofocus isn't perfect for more demanding users in certain situations.  It is a brilliant solution to customizing each individual camera to each individual lens.  But Canon knows well that AFMA is also laborious to implement.  The typical buyer of this camera will not know what it is and will not want to do it.  There is such a thing as "feature bloat" where there are just too many unfamiliar settings on the menus, making a camera less attractive to many buyers.

fonts

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2013, 09:34:29 PM »

So it's somehow wrong to convince buyers to spend more money for more features?  Wrong to offer a diverse product line with products at different price levels?  Then we photographers should follow the same rules: never offer clients a way to spend more to get more.  Never offer any extra product for any extra money.  Offer just one product at one price, one size fits all?  Or, offer various products but all at the same price, no matter what it costs to make and service them? ???  In what galaxy does business work that way?

well you think like the typical brainwashed consumer slave and i can´t blame you for that.
but maybe you should think again before wasting so much time asking rhetorical questions.

AFMA fixes a FLAW.... i could also ask for body and lenses that focus correct from the start.

It's pretty clear that AFMA should be in your camera.  It isn't clear that it should be in this camera.  Photographers don't all have the same needs as you.

This cameras will focus correctly from the start for the vast majority of users, even without AFMA.  The review on

AFMA recognizes that autofocus isn't perfect for more demanding users in certain situations.  It is a brilliant solution to customizing each individual camera to each individual lens.  But Canon knows well that AFMA is also laborious to implement.  The typical buyer of this camera will not know what it is and will not want to do it.  There is such a thing as "feature bloat" where there are just too many unfamiliar settings on the menus, making a camera less attractive to many buyers.

+1000. Freelancer, I get it, trust me I do, but you are forgetting we live in an open market world. Canon can't make ONE camera with EVERYTHING in it. Come to think of it, NO COMPANY CAN, in any industry. Seriously calm down, there is already a camera out there for your needs, Nikon has it. I'm not trying to be a dick about it, but that's the whole point of different manufactures, they reach out to different people. Just chillax for once.

fonts

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2013, 09:38:09 PM »

But that's only because we don't know what we're buying.

Don't know what we're buying? PLEASE say that the D4 is better than the 1DX, PLEASE!

Zlatko

« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2013, 09:45:46 PM »
as mentioned before by someone, AFMA is a feature to fix canons own shortcomings in the manufacturing process. it should be a standard feature!

Why stop at just AFMA?  Everything should be a standard feature on the $649 13.05 ounce camera.  Everything has the potential to be useful to some photographer somewhere.  And added complexity never stopped anyone from buying a camera.  Yep, we know Canon's business better than they do. ;)

Because AFMA is different. It is NOT a feature it is about making a camera not be broken and about making up for QC tolerances!!!!

Something that is a feature is AutoISO. That is something one can argue over and, in fact, I will. It still doesn't work even on 5D3!! Every other maker has it working for years on rebel-like stuff and Canon marketing, after a decade, is STILL slowly dribbling it out even to top level.

If AFMA is about making a camera not be "broken", then photographers have been using "broken" cameras for about 25 years, since autofocus became popular.  And yet they somehow managed to make pictures. 

Even $5,000 - $10,000 Leica lenses sometimes need to be adjusted to specific bodies, despite their very high QC tolerances and low volume production.  I doubt most of us could actually afford to pay for the ultra-perfect lens production and AF systems that would meet your QC standards. This quest for perfection at f/1.4 in a $649 camera is far beyond what the typical user of this camera expects.  Think f/5.6 at a soccer game, or f/3.5 at a birthday party.

Auto ISO works wonderfully on the 5D3 -- I use it quite a lot.  I really don't know why you would buy Canon if this is such a problem and "every other maker has it working".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2013, 09:45:46 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2013, 09:46:20 PM »

No that shows that that one particular SL1 with that one lens happens to focus really well.
For most pairings it is  constantly sending to Canon for adjustments.

agierke

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2013, 09:50:08 PM »
This quest for perfection at f/1.4 in a $649 camera is far beyond what the typical user of this camera expects.  Think f/5.6 at a soccer game, or f/3.5 at a birthday party.

+1

this conversation is hilarious. do you all really care that much about the Rebel line?
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2013, 09:52:21 PM »
as mentioned before by someone, AFMA is a feature to fix canons own shortcomings in the manufacturing process. it should be a standard feature!

Why stop at just AFMA?  Everything should be a standard feature on the $649 13.05 ounce camera.  Everything has the potential to be useful to some photographer somewhere.  And added complexity never stopped anyone from buying a camera.  Yep, we know Canon's business better than they do. ;)

Because AFMA is different. It is NOT a feature it is about making a camera not be broken and about making up for QC tolerances!!!!

Something that is a feature is AutoISO. That is something one can argue over and, in fact, I will. It still doesn't work even on 5D3!! Every other maker has it working for years on rebel-like stuff and Canon marketing, after a decade, is STILL slowly dribbling it out even to top level.

If AFMA is about making a camera not be "broken", then photographers have been using "broken" cameras for about 25 years, since autofocus became popular.  And yet they somehow managed to make pictures. 

1. before digital many people also looked at 3x5" prints which masked lots of errors
2. people have been complaining about poor calibration though and it means sending in stuff for adjustment, sometimes more than once, sometimes being without it for weeks, sometimes it means not having a focusing pair for a nat geo expedition because Canon is too busy fixing 1D3 bodies to care about anything else in the meantime.
3. It costs 0 dollars to put it in the body why the heck are you defending it unless Canon is paying you??

Auto ISO works wonderfully on the 5D3 -- I use it quite a lot.  I really don't know why you would buy Canon if this is such a problem and "every other maker has it working".

Unless you need EC and then you are stuck. Note that you can't use Av mode with shutter limit because they locked out all of the shutter speeds that would work for action which is exactly what you need autoiso for!
Seriously with like 2 bytes of changes code (or just a few more if they need to table each allowed shutter speed) it would work but marketing had them cripple it on purpose. Why? For what purpose?

Zlatko

« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2013, 09:55:49 PM »

all AFMA does is make a camera work as you should expect.
so it´s ok to pay for that? mhm, in what galaxy do you live?  ;)

it´s actually sad seeing consumer defend such company strategys.
but it shows why companys can get way with so much crap today.   :-[
most consumers are sheeps.

AFMA makes the 5D3 and 1DX work as you should expect.  It's a great feature.  But the Rebel line of cameras, including this new SL1, work as you should expect without AFMA.  Different users, different expectations.

I'm puzzled by some posters' extreme negativity about a manufacturer's "strategy" to make a profit, or to offer a diverse product line that meets different customers' needs and budgets.  It is as if all of those factories and highly skilled employees should somehow spend all of their time serving photographers without any profit motive.  Hmmmm.   ???

Zlatko

« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2013, 09:58:41 PM »

No that shows that that one particular SL1 with that one lens happens to focus really well.
For most pairings it is  constantly sending to Canon for adjustments.

So you know a lot of Rebel users constantly sending their gear to Canon for adjustments?  I don't.  But maybe I'll ask the other parents at the soccer game or at the school play.

Zlatko

« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2013, 10:06:14 PM »

1. before digital many people also looked at 3x5" prints which masked lots of errors
2. people have been complaining about poor calibration though and it means sending in stuff for adjustment, sometimes more than once, sometimes being without it for weeks, sometimes it means not having a focusing pair for a nat geo expedition because Canon is too busy fixing 1D3 bodies to care about anything else in the meantime.
3. It costs 0 dollars to put it in the body why the heck are you defending it unless Canon is paying you??

Unless you need EC and then you are stuck. Note that you can't use Av mode with shutter limit because they locked out all of the shutter speeds that would work for action which is exactly what you need autoiso for!
Seriously with like 2 bytes of changes code (or just a few more if they need to table each allowed shutter speed) it would work but marketing had them cripple it on purpose. Why? For what purpose?

The correctness of your analysis depends on at least these two things:
1.  You know that Canon's exact costs for implementing AFMA in a completely new camera body are $-0-.
2.  You have read the minds of unknown people in "marketing" and you know they were motivated to "cripple" the 5D3.
Really, why buy Canon if you think they are so badly motivated?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2013, 10:06:14 PM »

Zlatko

« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2013, 10:10:28 PM »
This quest for perfection at f/1.4 in a $649 camera is far beyond what the typical user of this camera expects.  Think f/5.6 at a soccer game, or f/3.5 at a birthday party.

+1

this conversation is hilarious. do you all really care that much about the Rebel line?
Thank you!  :)

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2013, 10:45:18 PM »
So you know a lot of Rebel users constantly sending their gear to Canon for adjustments?  I don't.  But maybe I'll ask the other parents at the soccer game or at the school play.

If Canon share this attitude towards users of their entry level SLRs, that would certainly explain their policy of removing "confusing" features that "parents at the soccer game" don't understand.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2013, 10:45:18 PM »