October 24, 2014, 10:57:36 PM

Author Topic: Congratulations Canon to another great Camera release!!  (Read 44865 times)

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Congratulations Canon to another great Camera release!!
« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2013, 05:24:08 AM »
I think the main reason the creative filters were added to the new rebels is that they literally had zero upgrades to the bodies at all worth mentioning in the press release.

from 550d to 650d rebel's line had a great jump in AF features (borrowing a quite good AF from XXD line) and in fps department...the 700D got nothing particular.

the creative filters are a good thing for beginners and casual shooters
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2013, 05:24:08 AM »

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2013, 05:55:39 AM »
I think the main reason the creative filters were added to the new rebels is that they literally had zero upgrades to the bodies at all worth mentioning in the press release.Thus, this was a cheap and easy way to spruce up the spec/features list, reviews and conversations with something new, instead of literally adding nothing. lol.
Look at this thread, it has degenerated from an utter trashing of the new releases to a conversation about why these new "features" weren't included on the 5DIII.
These new features are for the M 4/3rd, Instagram, hipster crowd, and just as a filler to rearrange the list of specs.

I think most of the DSLR innovation is now done. So we get very simular new models with very simular specs. The odd new tweek sometimes does shake things up. The 40D brought live view...many said it was a gimmic but it's transformed most of the way landscapers work and paved the way for movie mode.
the 5DIII brought a near silent mode (which really works) and it's been a game changer for many genres, especially Wedding work with grumpy registras. So while MP's haven't increased much and many of the AF arrays have stayed the same for a lot of the Canon product range, innovation is creeping in from different areas and isn't so obvious on paper. Grab hold of a 300D and then take a 650D, the difference of only a few years is huge. The pace of sensor and AF array improvements has now slowed to almost static, but the rest of the camera is still open for a lot more improvements.
I don't think Canon will ever put a pro AF system in any camera which isn't in it's pro portfolio. So lets get real here, if you want a 5DIII or 1Dx Spec then that's not going to ever happen in a XXXD camera. But the ergo and ui differences do get filtered down and up stream.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #242 on: March 25, 2013, 06:59:39 AM »
I think most of the DSLR innovation is now done.

Are you applying for a job as a Canon exec :-> ? ...

There's no end of features and ideas, for software just look at everything Magic Lantern has to offer (and the things they cannot do due to Canon fw constraints). How about an switchable ovf/evf with all the information it could offer (focus peaking for mf in the vf)? How about really smart af tracking across the whole frame ("Please track the player with the number 8", "Please always automatically focus the eyes")? How about 1/500 x-sync like on the original 1d?

roblem is, Canon is driven by product differentiation, max. profit (lowest cost & highest prices) and they are so conservative they probably don't think about real innovations, even not with a cpu as fast as their digic5 (or 6).

Pixelsign

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 25, 2013, 07:06:20 AM »
problem is, Canon is driven by product differentiation, max. profit (lowest cost & highest prices) and they are so conservative they probably don't think about real innovations, even not with a cpu as fast as their digic5 (or 6).

sign
5D II / EF 24-105 / EF 70-200 2.8

baervan

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 25, 2013, 07:53:48 AM »
I think most of the DSLR innovation is now done.

roblem is, Canon is driven by product differentiation, max. profit (lowest cost & highest prices) and they are so conservative they probably don't think about real innovations, even not with a cpu as fast as their digic5 (or 6).

i might be wrong, but every company is driven by those assumptions. Nikon has not the upper hand in terms of sales for the entry level nor probably the uber-pro (D4 vs 1DX), so in order to steal Canon's share they offer a more extensive set of features with their cameras. As long as Canon has the upper hand they will never make a revolutionary product, only incremental changes. Sorry for being captain obvious.

Also I'm surprised how long this conversation has been going, there is a new entry-level model every year that will entice only the beginners that dont have a camera yet. There haven't been any changes with the 650D but companies that have the sales upper hand do that (iphone 4 and 4s anyone? im sure there are people here who had both). Nobody here is gonna buy the 700D unless as backup body, if you want 7D features in a backup body you know what to buy.

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 25, 2013, 08:30:31 AM »
I think most of the DSLR innovation is now done. So we get very simular new models with very simular specs.
I don't think Canon will ever put a pro AF system in any camera which isn't in it's pro portfolio. So lets get real here, if you want a 5DIII or 1Dx Spec then that's not going to ever happen in a XXXD camera.
Do you work for Canon? Why are people so quick to say that today's cameras don't need to get any better, or we shouldn't expect more, or they cant cost less?
Maybe it won't be in a Canon XXXD body, but it may be in a Sony Mirrorless or Fuji camera real soon(maybe even a Nikon, check the AF on the D5200.)
Maybe you are happy with paying 3000 dollars for a huge DSLR, but many people aren't. Canon wants us to think like you, but other companies who aren't on top are hoping other people still want more, which I do.
If Canon continues to think that no one wants better specs at a lower price and everyone is happy with the size, price and features of the current offerings, then there will be a long, long fall from the top.
Sure, the best of the best cameras will always be expensive, but I see no reason why a camera with 5DIII specs cant cost 1000 bucks in 5-10 years.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #246 on: March 25, 2013, 09:14:18 AM »
Sure, the best of the best cameras will always be expensive, but I see no reason why a camera with 5DIII specs cant cost 1000 bucks in 5-10 years.

It certainly will, well, actually in 10y nobody will want to use the 5d3 as a doorstopper (and all other current dlsrs).

As for "expensive" it really is about what you pay for - yes, but only for bleeding edge hardware that is really expensive to produce because new facilities and r&d want to be paid, too. A large "premium" and "early adopter's" fee will probably also stay as long as we have capitalism (predictions are pretty good atm).

But as for software - the xxxd or maybe xxd line would be a perfect place to implement new features, but Canon only targets amateurs but not innovators, they very seldom update their fw after release. If they would hire the main Magic Lantern dev they'd have a stellar fw in a year's time that blows every other dslr out of the water - but they don't want to because they want to sell their top gear. And top gear is conservative by default, because as a pro you want 110% tried and stable equipment.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #246 on: March 25, 2013, 09:14:18 AM »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 25, 2013, 08:05:48 PM »
I believe your guess also correctly explains exactly why AFMA is not included on the new Rebel SL1:  useless to most users, not a lot of requests for it.  So the manufacturer makes the most sensible decision.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.  I think it's at least as easy to understand and useful to the Rebel user base as 2-axis white balance!

You're avoiding the question about whether the useful "edit CSS" feature should be offered to all WordPress.com customers,

Thought the question is not terribly relevant here, I did address it though maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. Yes, of course the marginal cost of enabling that feature for the remainder of the user base is either zero or very close to zero.

In software, marginal costs of expanding or upgrading the user base are nearly always close to zero, but you will always lose if you price near or at marginal costs (because marginal costs are zero or close to zero whereas fixed costs are very high).

So the answer to your question which is, essentially, "why don't software vendors price at marginal costs" is:

"because marginal costs are dwarfed by fixed costs. If they price at or near marginal costs they don't recuperate their fixed costs).

Also, in this particular case (wordpress), it is most likely that the non-paying users if not free riders are not the primary source of profits (actually IMHO they are pretty close to free riders). This is not the way it is with cameras,  where (a) the marginal costs are not at all negligible, and (b) the cheaper models are a major (perhaps primary) source of revenue that the manufacturer can use to offset fixed costs.

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 26, 2013, 03:54:01 AM »
The lack of "Kelvin" WB setting makes that I'm not even considering this camera any further.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

whatta

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 26, 2013, 04:33:47 AM »
there is a reason why I still did not change the 400d, even though I've been very keen for a while. After waiting so long, I would not invest money into a very new body but very old tech in it :(

I was not expecting much, but still even surpised with this release..

btw the new sigma 30/1.4 can do AFMA instead of the body!!!!
Canon 400d | efs 15-85 | efs 60/2.8 | Sigma 30/1.4 | (broken efs 17-85)

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 26, 2013, 05:36:20 AM »
The recent cameras are better than your 400D and its noticeable in image quality also. But why sad u are still using your 400D? I think its awesome u still get along with that camera where many other people already threw it away. It seems really nice to me you dont rely on technique but rather your photo skills :)

paul13walnut5

« Reply #251 on: March 26, 2013, 05:44:58 AM »
there is a reason why I still did not change the 400d, even though I've been very keen for a while. After waiting so long, I would not invest money into a very new body but very old tech in it :(

Point of sheer bloody minded pedantry, there is no new 30mm f1.4.  It's a 35mm f1.4 and it's full frame not DC  It's an entirely new lens, not a new version.  Looks quite nice too, but the USB dock (required for calibration) isn't provided with lens, and my experience of the 30mm f1.4 DC lends me to believe that the lens will need calibration.

I had a 400D which I would probably still be using were it not for video.  No shame in that at all.

kraats

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 26, 2013, 07:25:52 AM »
How about you just get a camera and go out and shoot. Taking nice pics is not about the best tech ......

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #252 on: March 26, 2013, 07:25:52 AM »

whatta

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 26, 2013, 09:53:18 AM »
The recent cameras are better than your 400D and its noticeable in image quality also. But why sad u are still using your 400D? I think its awesome u still get along with that camera where many other people already threw it away. It seems really nice to me you dont rely on technique but rather your photo skills :)
I borrowed a 650d and to be honest I was not convinced. Yes it is better, but far not as better as what I would expect that many generations and years later.

thanks btw :)

whatta

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 26, 2013, 09:57:34 AM »

Point of sheer bloody minded pedantry, there is no new 30mm f1.4.  It's a 35mm f1.4 and it's full frame not DC  It's an entirely new lens, not a new version.  Looks quite nice too, but the USB dock (required for calibration) isn't provided with lens, and my experience of the 30mm f1.4 DC lends me to believe that the lens will need calibration.
excuse me?  :o

"Announced Jan 29, 2013 The Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM lens is a redesigned version of Sigma's popular 30mm F1.4 prime. On APS-C cameras this lens covers an effective focal length of approximately 45mm, making it a very useful standard focal length. The new lens has an optical configurations of nine elements in eight groups, including a double-aspheric element, with rounded aperture blades for attractive blur in out of focus areas. The new 30mm F1.4 is also compatible with Sigma’s new USB Dock, which will enable firmware updates and focusing adjustments."

http://www.dpreview.com/products/Sigma/lenses/sigma_a_30_1p4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #254 on: March 26, 2013, 09:57:34 AM »