July 23, 2014, 02:31:44 PM

Author Topic: When you get a new Body (Camera) and Lenses, what do you do to check it out  (Read 1878 times)

GlassEye

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Long time lurker, first time poster

I finally pulled the trigger on a 5D3(refurb), and some L Glass.
What kind of checklist do you usually go thru to prove to yourself that your copy is good,
and don't need to send it back or for calibration right away?

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
First, I checked the number of actuations.

2nd, I did a AFMA on all my lenses, the results were similar to my 5D MK II

3rd, I put the lens cap on and took exposures of varying times, and then looked at the dark frame for excessive hot pixels or noise.

4.  Took photos with my lenses with varying settings looking for over or under exposure.

5. On the 2nd Day, I started taking photos.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
I shake it a little to make sure nothing rattles.

Apart from that, I just check all the ports look ok, there are no dents or scratches, a quick look inside to check the mirror, simple stuff like that. The real test is when you turn it on and start taking pictures. For that, following what Mt Spokane Photography suggested is a good idea.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
Charge the battery and go take pictures.
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Bodies I do pretty much what Mt. Spokane does. Lenses I check centering (equal corner sharpness, symmetrical vignetting), AFMA them and check AF consistency (with FoCal), and then I shoot for real.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I give it a sniff test and the old tire kick test. Usually followed by a series of shots on most AF points and all servo modes, etc.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
After charging the battery, learning the controls (if it is a new model, not just a copy of a model I already have), do some test shots of the dog (or if I am lucky my wife and the dog together).  There are so many variables that it is hard to test everything - seldom get a new camera before a big shoot.  Like to have a month or 2 early, but that is not always possible.

canon rumors FORUM

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
Well, nothing like a test run going out shooting. :)

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • M.R.S. = my initials! www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
I take an evening to sit down and configure/learn the controls on the camera. With a new lens I'll take some 'real world' test shots in and around the house but nothing involving test charts or the like. Then I'll usually take it out on a foto-shoot the next weekend, always nice to use new gear :) Any fault should quickly become apparent if you start using the stuff before the return period is over.
5D3, 5D2, NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12mm f/2, Ʃ19mm & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 & 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes

rumorzmonger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Go out and take pictures - it's the only test that actually matters.  :)
Nikon D800E, Nikon D7100, Fuji XE-1, Nikon FE2, Olympus OM-4Ti, OM-1 MD

canon rumors FORUM