August 20, 2014, 03:15:20 PM

Author Topic: Which would you pick for a wife camera sony nex 6 or eos sl1?  (Read 6069 times)

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
Re: Which would you pick for a wife camera sony nex 6 or eos sl1?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 01:46:06 AM »
Thanks everyone. Lots of good advice. Yeah she already ok'd the sony nex 6 and it has an evf so we could keep that but then if I went that route I would consider the nex 3nl since its half the price with all the same stuff she uses. Just not sure if squeezing in the eos would be better for the fact that hopefully i can get her a 17-50 2.8 someday and it would be a better combo. Never been a fan of the 4/3's cameras. She looked at the rx100 and hated the flash placement. I want the eos m but everyone seems to not be satisfied with the af speed and grabbing you kids you need all the speed you can get.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 01:46:06 AM »

Botts

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 02:27:40 AM »
Thanks everyone. Lots of good advice. Yeah she already ok'd the sony nex 6 and it has an evf so we could keep that but then if I went that route I would consider the nex 3nl since its half the price with all the same stuff she uses. Just not sure if squeezing in the eos would be better for the fact that hopefully i can get her a 17-50 2.8 someday and it would be a better combo. Never been a fan of the 4/3's cameras. She looked at the rx100 and hated the flash placement. I want the eos m but everyone seems to not be satisfied with the af speed and grabbing you kids you need all the speed you can get.

That 17-55 2.8 is a wonderful piece of kit.  It's unparalleled in Canon's full-frame line.  The 40STM is a great lens too, but I found it too wide as an everyday walk around piece on my crop 7D, and I still find myself wanting to switch to the 35mm quite a bit, even on the FF 6D.

Have you played with Olympus' m4/3s?  They are another astonishing camera, with IQ that is lens limited, not sensor limited when compared with the T1i-T4i.  This may change if the SL1 or T5i have new sensors though.  They are also a very ergonomic series, specifically the OM-D.

In the end though, with what you mention in your later posts, specifically shooting kids, and likely some day in the future, kids sports, I would probably go SLR for the AF and long lens advantages.
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 09:17:13 AM »

That 17-55 2.8 is a wonderful piece of kit.  It's unparalleled in Canon's full-frame line.  The 40STM is a great lens too, but I found it too wide as an everyday walk around piece on my crop 7D, and I still find myself wanting to switch to the 35mm quite a bit, even on the FF 6D.

Have you played with Olympus' m4/3s?  They are another astonishing camera, with IQ that is lens limited, not sensor limited when compared with the T1i-T4i.  This may change if the SL1 or T5i have new sensors though.  They are also a very ergonomic series, specifically the OM-D.

In the end though, with what you mention in your later posts, specifically shooting kids, and likely some day in the future, kids sports, I would probably go SLR for the AF and long lens advantages.

Exactly. I thought eventually she could carry the 18-55, 55-250 combo and be set if she was at some indoor sports. I know these cameras are not meant for high iso but it has to be better than ps and m4/3's. but i could always get that when the time comes. They are going to be 6 this year so I guess we have sometime.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 10:26:21 AM »
Another vote for Fuji X100s...I might get this camera since my wife been using my Sony RX1.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 11:39:31 AM »
We are going on a vacation in a few weeks and my wife wanted a new camera with video capabilities and the ability to take good landscapes.  The s95 has served her well when traveling before but all I've been able to do to date is get her to shoot RAW so I have a bit more ability in post.   

I showed her the various choices.   At micro4/3 the Panasonic GH2/3 looked really good but were over budget and were impractical to tap into our existing EF lens collection.   The various premium compacts were nice, but about the same price as the GH* to hit something much better than the s95.   The EOS-m, fit the bill but I know she would have killed me over missed shots from the slow focus.  We ended up with a T4i and she really likes it.  The Q menu and touch screen makes it much easier to understand settings.   I put a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM on it that I had picked up a month or so ago on fire-sale.  I explained aperture to her (at which point she watched several YouTube videos to find a better teacher) and she was off and thrilled.   She shared that she always felt intimidated by the 40D and 7D we have but loves the T4i.

The SL1 might have been an even better fit but it wasn't available.
7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 11:41:29 AM »
I am torn between keeping my sony nex 6 for the wife or getting her the new sl1 ...

Why do you think that you should pick her cameraa ??? Let her pick her own camera.

BTW a Panasonic G5 is a better camera than either of your choices. A small/light camera with small/light lenses that will make prints that even a pixel-peeper couldn't complain about.

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »
...all I've been able to do to date is get her to shoot RAW so I have a bit more ability in post.   

Just set the camera to P (for professional). The jpegs will amaze you!!

More than a few professionals shoot jpegs. If you get it right in camera, you don't have to waste time in post.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »

EvilTed

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
I am torn between keeping my sony nex 6 for the wife or getting her the new sl1 with a 40mm pancake. She just uses auto and wants to shove it in her purse just on occasional outings where lugging my 5d would be overkill. I think the sl1 is more versatile since all my lenses will serve a dual purpose and she like my 60d when I had it. She is just not the type to want larger heavy gear but I thought with either I could start to teach her how to use the pasm modes to control her photo's at times. Does anyone have an opinion? I just dont want to get her the eos if everyone thinks that its much larger and bulkier. I have noone else to ask.

I tried to get my wife into photography by buying her a Fuji X-Pro 1 when it came out last year with a 35mm F/1.4. She used it once and it became my favorite camera over my 5D MK3.

I replaced it with the NEX 6 + 16-55 kit + 50mm F/1.4 and she loves it.
Video is a big thing for her and the Fuji's are pretty basic in that department.

I've since sold the X-Pro 1 and replaced with the the XE-1 + zoom but she has no interest in this either...

ET

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
What if she is the better photographer and has nicer gear than you do?
The best camera is the one in your hands

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 02:13:06 PM »

If she wants a camera she can put into a handbag, she mightn't be entirely amused if you handed her a DSLR, no matter how small, with that big, heavy 17-50 2.8 attached to it!  I'm with those who suggest micro 4/3 - which ones have you seen and not been impressed by?  I was more than a little skeptical about all the hoopla around the Olympus OMD E-M5 until I rented one; it's capable of quite spectacular images, especially with some of the available fast, light primes, and it's very hard to find any reviews/comments about it that aren't, well, skepticism-provoking.  (And if you really want an equivalent of that 17-50 2.8, its micro 4/3 equivalent, the Panasonic 12-35, costs around the same but is a fraction of the size and weight.)

As for the flash placement on the excellent Sony RX100, that camera has a rather fast lens and performs more-or-less as well at high ISOs as Canon APS-C cameras (unless the newest two are better in that regard); so there may well be no need to use it anyway.

I wouldn't bother with a DSLR unless she needs the speed of handling which seems to be the sole advantage of an APS-C DSLR. 

But of course, ideally you would take her to a decent camera store that would let her play around with a handful of cameras; B&H in NY at a less busy time of day would be nice....

EvilTed

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 02:30:09 PM »
What if she is the better photographer and has nicer gear than you do?

Then pony up the 2.8K or 7K for the Sony RX-1 or Leica M 240 :)
Personally, I went with the M...

ET

Botts

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 02:41:49 PM »
Exactly. I thought eventually she could carry the 18-55, 55-250 combo and be set if she was at some indoor sports. I know these cameras are not meant for high iso but it has to be better than ps and m4/3's. but i could always get that when the time comes. They are going to be 6 this year so I guess we have sometime.

I had rented the OM-D before, and I'd give it the edge in high ISO quality over my 7D and T2i.  It'll be interesting to see if the SL1/T5i have finally gotten a sensor that can beat modern m4/3 cameras.  Time will tell once they get into people's hands.
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • M.R.S. = my initials! www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 03:33:44 PM »
I am torn between keeping my sony nex 6 for the wife or getting her the new sl1 with a 40mm pancake. She just uses auto and wants to shove it in her purse just on occasional outings where lugging my 5d would be overkill. I think the sl1 is more versatile since all my lenses will serve a dual purpose and she like my 60d when I had it. She is just not the type to want larger heavy gear but I thought with either I could start to teach her how to use the pasm modes to control her photo's at times. Does anyone have an opinion? I just dont want to get her the eos if everyone thinks that its much larger and bulkier. I have noone else to ask.

Obviously you care a lot more about photography and kit than she does. Just let her choose something she likes and is comfortable with   ;)
5D3, 5D2 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12mm f/2, Ʃ19mm & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 55-210 OSS | FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 03:33:44 PM »

VanWeddings

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • VanWeddings: Vancouver Wedding Photographer, Vancouver Wedding Videos
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 03:35:59 PM »
Hi! Since most folks on the CR forum only seem to care about FF and such, I am afraid they will advice you to get a bigger, stronger improved wife that can lunge around at least two Eos 5D MarkIII's with a bunch of f/2,8L zooms... ;)

lol @ this!

my vote is for a m43 camera. perhaps with a pancake zoom. something other systems only wish they had

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »
Is this camera really for your wife or are you hoping it will be an extra one for you? If it is for your wife, and unless she told you to just go pick something out, please just ask your wife what kind of camera she wants. Run down all the options with HER. I'm a woman who has a 6D and a T1i and I think the smaller form factor of the EOS SL1 is a great idea. But, even with a 40 mm pancake attached I still wouldn't be able to put it in most of the purses I carry or even my work satchel when it is full of papers. So, when I have a small purse and a full satchel and I don't want to carry yet another bag, I'll either use my s100 or my iPhone. It's fine to use this forum to get ideas about options and ideas you can discuss with your wife, but let her do the choosing. Even if the choice is the phone on her camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »