Canon Rumors General > Site Information

Moderators: Accidental ban of whole subnet

(1/3) > >>

DanielG.:
Hi moderators,

I think you accidentally banned a whole subnet (93.218.* or similar) from your forums.
No login (and even guest access) is possible from my DSL: I'm banned. (With different IPs falling in the mentioned subnet.)
From phone with login and totally different IP: not banned. (As you see by reading my post.)

I didn't even post since January and I'm always polite ;)
It looks like some punk with a dynamic IP was insulting but sadly now I (and many others) get IPs from the subnet he was in.

Thanks for looking into it!

Edit: Using my provider's proxy (and thus getting a different IP) for access from my DSL line also works. So it is definitely a ban of some IPs.

Forceflow:
IP banning, really? Sorry to tell you, but the only thing that does is to open you up to a huge variety of DoS attacks and potentially banning regular users yet it does absolutely nothing against anybody who is determined to get into the page.

CharlieB:
I'm not sure what has happened... but I'll tell you what I do.

I monitor the traffic coming into my network.  At least once a week, I get flooded for a few hours.  Its always from one or two IP's per occurrence.  I'll get hit maybe 500-700 times per minute, for hours at a time, methodically trying all ports.

Of course its simple to trace the IP's back to who owns them.

#1 offender - China
#2 offender - Eastern European countries - Serbia, Latvia, Ukraine, etc
#3 offender - United States universities.

In cases #1 and #2, I ban the IP, up to half a dozen from the subnet.  After that, I just ban the whole subnet.  It sucks to be them doesn't it. 

In the case of universities, I contact their admin, send them my logs, and they handle it. About 1/3 of the time they send me an apology response after the problem is corrected.

So there ya have it.  I don't provide bandwidth for buttheads.  Anyone on my network is my guest, and I expect them to behave as a guest.  Its like holding an open party at your house.  What?  You're just riding in the same car as the guest, but you got kicked out of my party because the folks you rode with decided to pee in my living room?  Guess it sucks to be you doesn't it.

CR Backup Admin:
It should be fixed now.  It was me. 

The boss has already let me know!!

Send me a private e-mail if its still not working.

RS2021:

--- Quote from: CharlieB on March 23, 2013, 12:14:21 PM ---
Of course its simple to trace the IP's back to who owns them.

#1 offender - China
#2 offender - Eastern European countries - Serbia, Latvia, Ukraine, etc
#3 offender - United States universities.

In cases #1 and #2, I ban the IP, up to half a dozen from the subnet.  After that, I just ban the whole subnet.  It sucks to be them doesn't it. 

--- End quote ---

#3 offenders...I am so pleased our boys are holding up their end! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version