October 21, 2014, 08:54:34 PM

Author Topic: Phottix Odins, monolights, and HSS  (Read 8322 times)

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
Re: Phottix Odins, monolights, and HSS
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2013, 11:46:13 PM »
Yep. My spread pattern is very similar to the patches of light seen on the cars in all four shots, don't you agree? The stairs in the second shot would need a big light, but all the rest could be blended from speedlite exposures, which lets face it, you are going to be doing even with big lights.

OK, I see what you're saying now. Yes, if you composite 5-6 exposures together, then the Speedlites will work in a pinch. When you have multiple pops of light on multiple sections of the car coming from multiple angles, it's hard to blend it all together while making it look natural and convincing. Removing all the hot spots would take about five years, too. With two AB800s, I can get better results in a single exposure. I don't particularly enjoy Photoshop, so the monolights are a much more appealing option :)

My shot is five stops under metered for the ambient at 100 iso and f8, that s a pretty dramatic ambient drop along with good iso and useful aperture, especially at the distances the car images are framed at.

Different colors and types of paint play a big role in how far a Speedlight will get you.

With a light colored, highly reflective metallic paint and no ambient light to battle, two Speedlites (on on side and one on front of car) works quite well, even at ISO 100 and f/8.

With slightly darker colors like this, again with two Speedlites, you have to crank it up to ISO 400 at f/8 even though it's 30 minutes after sunset at this point.

Throw in a darker color and more ambient light, and suddenly you need ISO 1250 at f/8. The ambient is three to four stops under in this shot.

Make it a black car, and now you need ISO 1600 at f/8, even though there's zero ambient light at this stage in the evening.

I love the Speedlites, but they definitely have their limitations. Power is really the secondary issue. The primary benefit of monolights for this type of use is that they give off a far more pleasing quality of light with more favorable fall-off characteristics.

But don't forget, any studio light using a faked HSS is only providing a fraction of its light power to the exposure, just like speedlites.

Good point. That's why going with my original plan of upgrading to two 1320ws White Lightnings and pulling the ND grads out of the attic might be the best option.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:50:26 PM by V8Beast »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2013, 11:46:13 PM »

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2013, 05:21:47 PM »
V8,
Is there a battery solution that works for your outdoor use of two White Lightning monoblocks? How many flashes do these batteries offer as supplied by Paul Buff? (I realize that # affected by power settings on flash heads.)

I keep searching Amazon for a 1000' extension cord <grin>

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 07:37:09 PM »
According to Buff's literature, a Vagabond mini will power up to four Bees/White Lightning/Einstein lights. I'd imagine that recycle times would suck with one Vagabond and two of Buff's 660 or 1320ws lights, but they're cheap enough to where it makes sense to get one battery  pack per light. I hate fiddling with extension cords :)

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »

No HSS with the Odins and White Lightnings, but I'm pleased with the results nonetheless. I still had to crank the ISO up to 400 considering the black subject and the amount of ambient light I was working against, but that's why I get paid the small bucks ;D 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2013, 10:33:12 PM »
Great shot!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »
V8, great to see you back!

I bought 4 Einstein heads and a single Vagabond, have shot one or two assignments that called for outdoor power. Looking for similar car challenges way out here on my Pacific rock -- just for fun... owners of great iron here have few commercial aspirations that require spending $$ for a car picture but it looks like so much FUN!

Einsteins put out a LOT of light. Having Balcar attachment standard opens some options past the Buff modifiers, but the Buff materials seem good. Your point about the second or third Vagabond sounds smart and might keep wires out of sight in a more complicated setups.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:12:56 PM by jonathan7007 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »