July 28, 2014, 09:31:21 AM

Author Topic: Phottix Odins, monolights, and HSS  (Read 7636 times)

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
Phottix Odins, monolights, and HSS
« on: March 23, 2013, 07:26:28 PM »
Maybe I'm on crack, but I thought people have successfully used the Odins to high-speed sync monolights? I tried HSS with the Alien Bees today but no workie :( Am I doing something wrong?

The way I understand it, in HSS mode the Odins are supposed to trigger the monolights to fire right before the shutter opens. All I got was a black exposure.

canon rumors FORUM

Phottix Odins, monolights, and HSS
« on: March 23, 2013, 07:26:28 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Phottix Odins, monolights, and HSS
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 07:42:45 PM »
http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2455

To plagiarize what someone posted in that link:

"Remember that Hyper-sync (PW) and Highspeed Sync (Canon) are two completely different things.
The first is a tweak to X sync timing that permits taking best advantage of a strobe tube's tail after the main burst. Essentially making the strobe a short duration continuous light source."

I thought that's what the Odins are supposed to do, but perhaps I'm mistaken. I wouldn't expect a monolight to pulse like a Speedlight in HSS. That would be insane :)

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:56:10 PM »
Are the Einsteins perhaps different in this regard than the Alien Bees?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 11:05:27 PM »
Are the Einsteins perhaps different in this regard than the Alien Bees?

Yes. Different from most other monolights, actually.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10053-10715
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Stickman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:32:15 AM »
Maybe I'm on crack, but I thought people have successfully used the Odins to high-speed sync monolights? I tried HSS with the Alien Bees today but no workie :( Am I doing something wrong?

The way I understand it, in HSS mode the Odins are supposed to trigger the monolights to fire right before the shutter opens. All I got was a black exposure.

The Phottix don't work with certain Canon cameras, but of course they don't tell you that when you buy them. 

In general, I have been highly underwhelmed with the Phottix Odins.  I picked up four last year, and have been sitting on them for the past 6 months waiting for Phottix to try and get their act together. 

The units eat batteries, and won't synch at higher speeds.  I'm not sure I would call them a total, utter, and absolute failure, but I can say that it was money wasted for me.  The company talk of "upgrades" to the system seem to be nothing more than a PR move to ride out a defective product. 

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 12:24:39 PM »
The Phottix don't work with certain Canon cameras, but of course they don't tell you that when you buy them. 

That blows. I assume the 5D3 is one of those Canon bodies :( I'll try the "manual hack" method to see if I can get the Bees to sync up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 12:24:39 PM »

Stickman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 12:58:33 PM »

That blows. I assume the 5D3 is one of those Canon bodies :( I'll try the "manual hack" method to see if I can get the Bees to sync up.

I'm not sure about the 5D3, but the 1Dx certainly doesn't work with the Phottix.  Since they both came out around the same time with similar design features, I would guess its possible.  If that is what you are using that would seem to confirm it.

Phottix keeps hinting that they are coming out with new features for everyone with their next firmware update, but as I've told them, just get the current body Canon cameras to work.  Add extra features later AFTER your lineup is functional. 

I would really like to see this system work, but so far it is nothing but money ill spent.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »

works great with my elinchroms
I got a couple of these kits, 400w per head is fine for my needs and with 4 of them i can do pretty much anything i want now.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/906651-REG/elinchrom_el_20852kit_d_lite_rx_4_400w.html
APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »

In general, I have been highly underwhelmed with the Phottix Odins.  I picked up four last year, and have been sitting on them for the past 6 months waiting for Phottix to try and get their act together. 

The units eat batteries, and won't synch at higher speeds.  I'm not sure I would call them a total, utter, and absolute failure, but I can say that it was money wasted for me.  The company talk of "upgrades" to the system seem to be nothing more than a PR move to ride out a defective product.

really? mine work fine on
5Dmk2
5Dmk3
1Dmk3
EOS-M and
600D

i havent tried them with my elan 7 yet but i would assume they work with that too
APS-H Fanboy

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 10:20:46 PM »

I got a couple of these kits, 400w per head is fine for my needs and with 4 of them i can do pretty much anything i want now.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/906651-REG/elinchrom_el_20852kit_d_lite_rx_4_400w.html

Thanks for the info! The good news is that the Odins and HSS works with Elinchroms. The bad news is that I might have to get a new set of Elinchroms. Damn you ;D

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 10:28:11 PM »

Thanks for the info! The good news is that the Odins and HSS works with Elinchroms. The bad news is that I might have to get a new set of Elinchroms. Damn you ;D

if you do grab a stratto 2 reciever and a 3.5mm audio splitter cable to fire them and save the spendy odin recievers for your speedlights which you can still mix in.

i've been meaning to do a detailed tutorial on this since it comes up quite alot but just havent had time
APS-H Fanboy

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »
if you do grab a stratto 2 reciever and a 3.5mm audio splitter cable to fire them and save the spendy odin recievers for your speedlights which you can still mix in.

i've been meaning to do a detailed tutorial on this since it comes up quite alot but just havent had time

That's a great money-saving tip. I wonder why HSS will work with Elinchrom lights but not the Bees. Weird. I'm spoiled by the money/performance ratio you get from the Bees, so the Elinchroms are really going to hurt my wallet.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:17:06 PM »

That's a great money-saving tip. I wonder why HSS will work with Elinchrom lights but not the Bees. Weird. I'm spoiled by the money/performance ratio you get from the Bees, so the Elinchroms are really going to hurt my wallet.

I'm not quite sure how it works exactly but from the detailed specs from B&H

Product Highlights
•Built-in Skyport Wireless Receiver
•Multi-voltage Monolight: 90-260VAC
•Recycling: 0.35-1.6 Sec. (115V)
•Flash Duration: 1/800 Sec (Full Power)
•5 Stop Power Variability in 1/10 Stops
•Pre-Flash Detector
•Fan-Cooled, Auto Dump
•Optional iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch Apps
•Accepts 7-8 mm Umbrella Shafts
•Firmware Update Options

Its showing a full power blast is at 1/800 sec so any shutter speed faster than that could be completely lit within that if its timing the firing
APS-H Fanboy

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 12:58:55 AM »
I need to study up on the Elinchrom product line. Ideally I'd like more power than the D-Lite 400s, but then again, with HSS i could kill the ambient much more easily, which means I could open up the aperture more, which means I wouldn't need as much power in the first place. Hmmm.... The RX 600 heads are too expensive for my budget,  but very appealing.

I'd be tempted to try to run these off a Vagabond since the Elinchrom power supplies are so costly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 12:58:55 AM »