September 22, 2014, 10:29:51 PM

Author Topic: Should I sell my 7D for a 6D?  (Read 3988 times)

Marvin

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • MarvinBowen.com
Re: Should I sell my 7D for a 6D?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 11:10:20 PM »
I've been reading this forum for a long time. I just now registered so that I could reply to you on this post, and that after I see you already made up your mind.

Short answer: YES.
Medium answer: unless you can afford 5D3.
Long answer: I own the 6D and shoot professionally (real estate). Static objects. This camera is miles beyond my expectations. Granted, mine were not that high because I was coming from a 30D but there are surprises about this camera that I simply didn't expect.

I have an old computer which means processing stuff in LR is slow. Now with 20 MB raw files I expected it to take me even longer to process a job. WRONG! The files have so much more detail and so many fewer 'problem' that I actually blast through the processing in about 1/2 the time. Color. Saturation. Dynamic range. Plus, going to FF from crop has really opened the door to increased image quality.

I jumped up to the 6D for the sole purpose of committing to FF and L series lenses. My next body in a few years will likely be from the 5 line, but this time I needed to spend that money on quality glass. Rest easy in your decision. If all you are looking for is FF and better image quality, you've found it.
6D, 16-35 2.8 L II, 24-105 4.0 L IS, 50 2.5 Macro
www.MarvinBowen.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 11:10:20 PM »

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 11:34:27 PM »
I've been reading this forum for a long time. I just now registered so that I could reply to you on this post, and that after I see you already made up your mind.

Long answer: I own the 6D and shoot professionally (real estate). Static objects. This camera is miles beyond my expectations. Granted, mine were not that high because I was coming from a 30D but there are surprises about this camera that I simply didn't expect.

I have an old computer which means processing stuff in LR is slow. Now with 20 MB raw files I expected it to take me even longer to process a job. WRONG! The files have so much more detail and so many fewer 'problem' that I actually blast through the processing in about 1/2 the time. Color. Saturation. Dynamic range. Plus, going to FF from crop has really opened the door to increased image quality.

I jumped up to the 6D for the sole purpose of committing to FF and L series lenses. My next body in a few years will likely be from the 5 line, but this time I needed to spend that money on quality glass. Rest easy in your decision. If all you are looking for is FF and better image quality, you've found it.

I'm curious... what lens do you use to shoot real estate.  I imagine wide angle for inside the rooms... and certainly not a fisheye... but I guess I would think a 24mm prime... but that doesn't sound wide enough... so maybe the 14mm prime. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

Marvin

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • MarvinBowen.com
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 12:59:11 AM »

I'm curious... what lens do you use to shoot real estate.  I imagine wide angle for inside the rooms... and certainly not a fisheye... but I guess I would think a 24mm prime... but that doesn't sound wide enough... so maybe the 14mm prime.

Before going FF I was using the Tamron 10-24. Now on the 6D I purchased the 16-35 2.8. Prime sounds delicious, but I need fast versatility. Most of the time I'm at 16, but there are those instances where 24-ish is better. For exteriors I narrow down as much as space will allow. I don't often make it all the way to 35.

I should mention that I'm doing modest family homes, not mansions, and the photography market here is in a pretty sad shape. I lost a client over increasing my rate by $15. Without giving up how much I charge, lets just say that if it takes me more than an hour to shoot (not including transit and editing), then I may as well go work at Burger King. So, fast and 'cheap' is the game here. Some day I hope to shoot real estate that requires time and more skill. Some day...
6D, 16-35 2.8 L II, 24-105 4.0 L IS, 50 2.5 Macro
www.MarvinBowen.com

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 02:14:48 AM »
5d2 or 6D for your purposes.  If you need to track action then 7D or 5D3.  There's no need to over-spend.  Just buy what you need and save the rest for good glasses.  It doesn't even have to be an L.  :)

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 11:27:07 AM »
I was starting to get worried, it took much longer than normal for all the gearheads to come out and start chanting their 5d3 mantra.

OP:  I own the 6D.  I almost didn't buy it after reading all the S___ on here about it.  But I went for it, and realized that most the people on here obsess about gear WAY too much.  Good on you for taking a good look at what you need, and what you don't.   Yes, more is better, but cost is a factor for almost all of us.  Get the 6D, you'll be happy with it.

Lol, I have to agree with you. The 6D gets no respect whatsoever because of its specs on paper, rather than criticizing the camera in real-world shooting. Anyways, I'm glad I got a reply from someone in my situation. I just simply don't have the cash to throw down an extra 1K on a camera. I have done extensive research and I think I've made up my mind. The 7D has been returned and I'm waiting on my refund. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I made the right choice!

Glad I could help.  I spent a ton of time on here researching and almost gave up on the 6D because of all the negativity, until I found Dustin Abbott's well written thread:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=12847.0

It helped a lot to see a voice of reason in a sea of wankery.  Once you start looking around, you’ll see the 5D3 gets recommended to everyone on here.  Some guy shows up, says he’s been shooting around a year, has a 600D but wants to upgrade; everyone jumps in, get the 5d3!  Some kid is going off to college to study photography, owns a point and shoot and wants an SLR; everyone jumps in, get the 5d3!  I don’t doubt it’s a great camera, but it’s completely blown out of perspective here.  Maybe I wouldn’t be so jaded if I saw some sort of correlation between cameras and the work people produced with it, but there’s none.  The last couple profiles that I clicked on of people that frequently chant the 5d3 mantra had hardly any, if any, action shots.  All this talk of the impotence of the 6D, and the portfolio that you’re showcasing is all stills.

Vitor, it sounds like you weren’t using any of the functions that make the 7D so great.  I’m guessing you’re going to love the IQ and noise performance of the 6D.  I am curious to hear your opinions on the build.  The 6D gets slammed a lot because it “feels like a Rebel”.  I’m coming up from a 400D, and I can tell you it doesn’t feel anything like it, but I like the slimness of it.  You may not feel that way coming "down" from a 7D.  That said,  I think the ‘flimsyness’ of the Rebel is exaggerated heavily.  I’ve dragged my Rebel through 30+ countries, crammed in the bottom of my backpack, changing lenses, filters and SD cards in dusty third world streets, caught in sudden tropical storms, and 7 years later it hasn’t failed me once.  I cherished its small body and light weight every step of the way.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 11:27:07 AM »