November 27, 2014, 05:11:37 PM

Poll

Will you be disappointed if the 70d gets the same 18mp sensor?

Yes
78 (83.9%)
No
15 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Will you be disappointed if the 70d gets the same 18mp sensor?  (Read 9284 times)

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Will you be disappointed if the 70d gets the same 18mp sensor?
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 11:06:56 AM »
Having just sold a 60D, I'm not about to buy the 70D, still it would be nice to see some new sensor tech - if only because it means it'll find its way into higher end models.  My money would be on the 7D2 getting the new sensor though - if the new sensor is really a lot better, than it makes sense to put it in an expensive body to get some of the R&D money back.  The 70D will have to go head-to-head with the D7100, but the 7D2 as rumoured will have no real completion, so Canon can charge a lot more...
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 11:06:56 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »
If it is the same sensor, yes it'd obviously be a disappointment ... but I don't care about the "Mega Pixel"  count and have no problem if it is 18 MP as long as it is a newly developed sensor.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 11:40:50 AM »
I think some people are missing the point about Canon using the 18mp over and over, who cares if the next camera has 18mp resolution, might as well have less, it's about how they've been using the same sensor for every release post 7D. That's insane, from 7D to 60D to every rebel and M, I have a friend's 60D on me now and good grief ISO 400 and the noise can't touch that of the 5DMk2, daylight fine, but indoor I can't just shoot at 3200 and brush up some loose noise like with the 5DII and that's even older now. Feels like sensor tech is in a standstill since 2008, of course FF beats Crop, but 5yr old FF beating the crop sensor that Canon proudly presents in 2013?? If they don't stuff something worth it in the 70D then the 7DMk2 better or.... I might just break and throw them more money for an expensive FF (cursing Canon and wishing I made the move to the dark side, Canon video hasn't budged either and just sucks compared to everyone else nowadays.)
The 5DMk3 is good but not 'that' much better over the Mk2, I'll choose that if I could spare for it, and the 1DX sure, but that's an impossible league for most.
So, YES, will be disappointed if the 70D had the same sensor

paul13walnut5

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 12:00:08 PM »
with x0D series looked at in isolation.  At the same time they gave us the 7D, which was, and remains miles above the x0D series cameras, and perhaps after the meh incremental upgrades from 20d, 30d, 40d is perhaps the camera that the 50d should have been all along.

The 60D is hard done to I think, why for example would folk who want mfa not also want a half decent AF system like they put in the 7D?

Who really uses PC synch sockets anymore? (well me, but I suspect I am an exceptional case, and I only use it occassionally)

They also gave the rebels a better AF system to give that range more seperation in the 650D.

Are and should x0D users be a protected species?  do we need the x0D series at all?  If the 7D2 is priced bonkers nuts then there may be a more natural place for a new x0D camera to come in.

If the 7D2 is priced well then I don't think we need a 70D.

To play devils addvocate i would be delighted if the 70D had an 8MP 16:9 sensor, like that from the c100/300.

It would satisfy my stills requirements and probably make for an ideal budget cinema EOS.

interpilot

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »
Yes, very much so. It's quite simple really: I'll buy one if it has an improved sensor, AFMA, and nicer (the 7d's 19pt?) AF. I don't see why any of these wouldn't happen. If they wouldn't have waited for an improved sensor, they could (would, should) have kicked a 70D out the door a year ago; if they weren't planning improved AF, they wouldn't have moved the 60D's current AF system down to the 650D.

If not, I'll probably go off in the other direction, and invest in pure shooting pleasure.. probably meaning Fuji, as soon as they add a decent longer lens. Although I am wondering if that isn't the better route to begin with ;).

interpilot

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »
with x0D series looked at in isolation.  At the same time they gave us the 7D, which was, and remains miles above the x0D series cameras, and perhaps after the meh incremental upgrades from 20d, 30d, 40d is perhaps the camera that the 50d should have been all along.

The 60D is hard done to I think, why for example would folk who want mfa not also want a half decent AF system like they put in the 7D?

Who really uses PC synch sockets anymore? (well me, but I suspect I am an exceptional case, and I only use it occassionally)

They also gave the rebels a better AF system to give that range more seperation in the 650D.

Are and should x0D users be a protected species?  do we need the x0D series at all?  If the 7D2 is priced bonkers nuts then there may be a more natural place for a new x0D camera to come in.

If the 7D2 is priced well then I don't think we need a 70D.

To play devils addvocate i would be delighted if the 70D had an 8MP 16:9 sensor, like that from the c100/300.

It would satisfy my stills requirements and probably make for an ideal budget cinema EOS.

Except that I wouldn't want a camera of those dimensions (both size and weight). If it would be 60D-like in those aspects, fine with me ;). But apparently, both Canon and Nikon seem to think that more "advanced" features are inherently tied to bigger and heavier bodies  :-\

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 01:31:43 PM »
If the 7D M2 has a sensor that is not improved over T4i, .... then it will be time to switch to Nikon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 01:31:43 PM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 01:33:39 PM »
that fact that I can now buy a computer that's twice as fast and half as expensive as it was in 2009 tells me everything I need to know about how much Canon has been milking their APS-C chip. sure they've added on-chip autofocus now, but a badly implemented feature does not count as improvement.

I'm really happy to see Canon diving into a whole bunch of new areas with cameras like the EOS M and the SL1, but let's get something straight: the body development team are not (hopefully not) the same guys that are the sensor development team. so there is no justification for the near-zero evolution of Canon's APS-C sensor line.

is there anything inherently wrong with the 18 MP APS-C sensor? no. we were pretty happy when the 7D got released with it, and while it never came close to matching the 5DII's sensor, I don't think anyone really expected it to. the sensor was great then, and is just as good now as it was then. the issue to me isn't really the sensor itself, it's what it signifies from Canon. it's Canon telling us that they don't feel that they need to innovate. it's Canon telling us they think we're dumb enough to think that sticking a t5i sticker on a t4i means it's "new". it's Canon lying to us that we shouldn't judge the chip's autofocus speed on the EOS M because it's pre-production, and it'll get much faster by the time of the actual release.

I don't think the folks at Canon are stupid, but I do feel they take the liberty of thinking that their consumer base is a little dim. the t5i is definitely toeing the line of "let's see how sheep-like our customer base is" and I hope the 70D and 7DII have not been treated the same way.

Peter007

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2013, 01:58:29 PM »
I bought my first DSLR a Canon 60D two years ago for a decent price with an 18 -200mm lens.  It take fantastic video but lacks the auto-focus mode.  The best feature by far is the articulated viewer which I use for awkward shots.  After being introduced in 2010 I would expect the 70D to have better ISO performance, more auto-focus points and auto-focus during video and 7fps continuous.  If it comes in a 24mp sensor I would buy it on the spot.  I looked at the Canon 6D but for my liking is missing a flip up flash and the articulated viewer which are very handy.
70D with a 24mp sensor please!!

CanNotYet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2013, 02:07:26 PM »
that fact that I can now buy a computer that's twice as fast and half as expensive as it was in 2009 tells me everything I need to know about how much Canon has been milking their APS-C chip. sure they've added on-chip autofocus now, but a badly implemented feature does not count as improvement.

I'm really happy to see Canon diving into a whole bunch of new areas with cameras like the EOS M and the SL1, but let's get something straight: the body development team are not (hopefully not) the same guys that are the sensor development team. so there is no justification for the near-zero evolution of Canon's APS-C sensor line.

is there anything inherently wrong with the 18 MP APS-C sensor? no. we were pretty happy when the 7D got released with it, and while it never came close to matching the 5DII's sensor, I don't think anyone really expected it to. the sensor was great then, and is just as good now as it was then. the issue to me isn't really the sensor itself, it's what it signifies from Canon. it's Canon telling us that they don't feel that they need to innovate. it's Canon telling us they think we're dumb enough to think that sticking a t5i sticker on a t4i means it's "new". it's Canon lying to us that we shouldn't judge the chip's autofocus speed on the EOS M because it's pre-production, and it'll get much faster by the time of the actual release.

I don't think the folks at Canon are stupid, but I do feel they take the liberty of thinking that their consumer base is a little dim. the t5i is definitely toeing the line of "let's see how sheep-like our customer base is" and I hope the 70D and 7DII have not been treated the same way.
I agree fully with this. Well put, my friend! :)

Drum

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 04:21:23 PM »
will anybody actually believe that it is a NEW sensor if it does have 18mp? An incremental upgrade isn't an option after 2.5 years. There also has to be some separation between the 650/700 d and the newer lines.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 04:31:01 PM »
will anybody actually believe that it is a NEW sensor if it does have 18mp? An incremental upgrade isn't an option after 2.5 years. There also has to be some separation between the 650/700 d and the newer lines.

the 5DIII has at least a 2/3-stop noise improvement over the 5DII, even though their pixel density is very similar. trust me, if they really put out an improved 18 MP sensor, people will give them credit where it's due.

however, if they "improve" it so marginally that it's impossible to tell, that's not called improvement, and everyone will give them the mud-to-the-face that would be deserved at that point

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 04:32:34 PM »
will anybody actually believe that it is a NEW sensor if it does have 18mp?

No way - Canon will make it 19mp to keep it above the old 18mp sensors, but below the 20mp 6d :-> ... or they'll go for 25mp just for the sake of having more than Nikon's aps-c.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 04:32:34 PM »

Act444

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »
If the MP count stays at 18 MP - no.

If the high ISO performance shows no improvement - yes.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »
I read a rumour elsewhere that the 70D will have Digic 6 and the same sensor as the EOS-SL1.

Of course, it is just a rumour.... anyone can make up a rumour... Only time will tell.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »