July 22, 2014, 06:23:19 PM

Author Topic: Big Megapixel Development Announcement in the Fall? [CR2]  (Read 33431 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Big Megapixel Development Announcement in the Fall? [CR2]
« on: March 24, 2013, 04:47:50 PM »
40+ MP camera on the horizon
We’re told, as well as others that a development announcement for a high megapixel camera will be made in the September/October timeframe. There won’t be availability until Q1, 2014 at the earliest.

We’ve heard of two test bodies out there, one being 50+mp. There are other reports of a 39mp and 47mp camera as well.

Some of the technology from the 7D Mark II, which we expect in the fall, will be present in the big megapixel EOS-1. This also plays into the previous rumors about the 7D Mark II moving up in pro features.

Source: [NL]

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Big Megapixel Development Announcement in the Fall? [CR2]
« on: March 24, 2013, 04:47:50 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Big Megapixel Development Announcement in the Fall? [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 04:56:44 PM »
Maybe by then, Intel will have a superfast processor and SATA express will be out.  Current SSD's are limited by SATA III to about 500mb/sec, and huge image files take a lot of time to process.
At least Canon has options for sraw that you can select when you don't want full blown resolution.  With the D800, you get those huge files every time if you want to use raw.
That way a user would have a choice.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 05:01:41 PM »
Maybe by then, Intel will have a superfast processor and SATA express will be out.  Current SSD's are limited by SATA III to about 500mb/sec, and huge image files take a lot of time to process.
At least Canon has options for sraw that you can select when you don't want full blown resolution.  With the D800, you get those huge files every time if you want to use raw.

Yeah but sRAW isn't really all that RAW and with Nikon you can use crop mode FULL RAW which is great for wildlife since you maintain reach while not wasting storage on all the outer border areas so I'd actually WAY rather they went to the Nikon way of handling it.

I'd rather it be 39MP for perfect video and keeping 6fps than 47 or 50+ and being less than 5fps and having worse video.

Haydn1971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »
7DII having more pro features. ?

Such as ?
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 05:08:56 PM »
Another 3000.00 out of pocket. :(

7DII having more pro features. ?

Such as ?

cccp80

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 05:10:38 PM »
Finally!

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 05:19:04 PM »
This just ups the anticipation on the 7D2...

a "gamechanger" will not come cheap......
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 05:19:04 PM »

Photomoose

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 05:22:42 PM »
This is welcome news! I just posted a lengthy description of my experience shooting both the 5d3 and D800 on another thread, and since they were released I have considered switching entirely to the D800, but I'm willing to wait for Canons version of a Big Megapixel camera. These two cameras are similar in some ways, but so different in others, but when IQ is the top of the list more Megapixels wins. It gives you more options and more to work with, with better detail and of course cropping options are greatly improved. I'm not a fan of TC converters or zoom lenses so cropping is important to me. I have enjoyed the D800 for its big Megapixels, but miss the functionality of Canon, its AF system just to mention a few of the obvious attributes Canon brings to the table. Lets hope they learn something from the D800 and better it, unlike what happened with the EOS-M which was a disaster in my humble opinion. So I cheer at this rumor and will be in the cheering section.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 05:23:26 PM »

I wonder when we will see versions of Lightroom or DPP that support GPU processing... I use AutoPano Giga for rendering panoramas and enabling GPU processing really speeds things up. Having 1000 1Ghz CUDA cores is a lot of processing power.... in fact, there are supercomputers that use CUDA cores from GPU's as the main element.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 05:28:07 PM »

Yeah but sRAW isn't really all that RAW and with Nikon you can use crop mode FULL RAW which is great for wildlife since you maintain reach while not wasting storage on all the outer border areas so I'd actually WAY rather they went to the Nikon way of handling it.

I'd rather it be 39MP for perfect video and keeping 6fps than 47 or 50+ and being less than 5fps and having worse video.

Crop mode on my D800 crops the image away.  That's not useful to lose part of your FF image.  Its a feature added for those using the old DX lenses and turns the D800 into a 16mp crop camera.  I could use a 7D and get a cropped image with more pixels than a cropped D800.
If I had 1500 images to edit from a large MP sensor, I'd certainly try sraw or mraw.  I went looking for the feature after I got my D800 and had a day to edit 500 images, it was not fun to spend that many unplanned hours.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 05:41:04 PM »
so canon user will get a 8000 euro high MP camera while nikon user get a high MP camera for 2200 euro.

mhm nothing that lets me jump up and down.

i hope there will be a cheaper, none 1D body version, too.
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

cbphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »
Here's hoping for an increase in dynamic range, and in signal-to-noise ratios.
~ CB

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 06:12:41 PM »
WOW, Canon still at least 2 years shy of the Nikon D800 sensor ...  :o
Confirms what I thought all along.

Geriatric ward really missed the boat big time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 06:12:41 PM »

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »
Another 3000.00 out of pocket. :(

Yeah 3000 ... I fell off the turnip truck laughing my ass off. ;)
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 06:25:41 PM »
WOW, Canon still at least 2 years shy of the Nikon D800 sensor ...  :o
Confirms what I thought all along.

Geriatric ward really missed the boat big time.

Well D800 still didn't save Nikon from the stock market bust....so I guess the geriatric ward at Canon is doing something right...I feel the canon high MP will be less "green hued" for sure... ask Nikon to fix that first.
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 06:25:41 PM »