October 20, 2014, 05:29:02 PM

Author Topic: Big Megapixel Development Announcement in the Fall? [CR2]  (Read 36696 times)

Hydrogen

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Big Megapixel Development Announcement in the Fall? [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 06:26:50 PM »
This is welcome news! I just posted a lengthy description of my experience shooting both the 5d3 and D800 on another thread, and since they were released I have considered switching entirely to the D800, but I'm willing to wait for Canons version of a Big Megapixel camera. These two cameras are similar in some ways, but so different in others, but when IQ is the top of the list more Megapixels wins.

I am an all-Canon geared part-time pro and hobbyist, but to me, it's not just about the pixels, FF, crop, etc. something the D800 has that I am jealous of, is a sensor (Exmor) capable of far more dynamic range than any Canon.

If Canon can at least get their sensors to have equivalent DR, I will be a very, very happy camper.
5D Mark III | 1D Mark III | 20D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 28 f/1.8 | 35 f/1.4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 580ex | 430ex | 420ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 06:26:50 PM »

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »
If this is true, then Canon almost certainly will have to update a number of L lenses if this body is in the horizon...I won't name names...but a number of names come to mind.
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »
WOW, Canon still at least 2 years shy of the Nikon D800 sensor ...  :o
Confirms what I thought all along.

Geriatric ward really missed the boat big time.

How many years did Canon have a 'prosumer' 21 MP FF camera while Nikon's offering in that space had 12 MP?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 06:42:08 PM »
Wait wait. What happened to the 70d?? Let's worry about that before we get into any other products. It seems 70D rumors just stopped.

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »
so canon user will get a 8000 euro high MP camera while nikon user get a high MP camera for 2200 euro.

mhm nothing that lets me jump up and down.

i hope there will be a cheaper, none 1D body version, too.

That's pretty much what I'm counting on as well.
In the back of my head occasionally I think about how nice it would be to have a camera built to last like the 1D series, but it's really only good for professionals. By the time I get to 200,000 snaps on a single camera everyone else will probably have pocket sized 200MP medium format cameras.

Maybe by then, Intel will have a superfast processor and SATA express will be out.  Current SSD's are limited by SATA III to about 500mb/sec, and huge image files take a lot of time to process.
At least Canon has options for sraw that you can select when you don't want full blown resolution.  With the D800, you get those huge files every time if you want to use raw.
That way a user would have a choice.

I wonder when we will see versions of Lightroom or DPP that support GPU processing... I use AutoPano Giga for rendering panoramas and enabling GPU processing really speeds things up. Having 1000 1Ghz CUDA cores is a lot of processing power.... in fact, there are supercomputers that use CUDA cores from GPU's as the main element.

I'm really surprised that photo software companies aren't jumping all over GPU acceleration. When you can make things go faster using the hardware everyone already has it seems silly not to.
-100% RAW-

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 07:03:21 PM »
Well.. It is not going to be cheap, that's for sure. But as long as it brings a serious bump in dynamic range, I'll pay the 'early adoption fee'. ;D

Wait wait. What happened to the 70d?? Let's worry about that before we get into any other products. It seems 70D rumors just stopped.
Nobody cares.

Buy a 60D.

I care. What comes on the 70D will give clues to what comes on the 7D2, and the 7D2 will probably be the debut of the technology that comes out on a high megapixel camera. And I already have a 60D
The best camera is the one in your hands

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »
Maybe by then, Intel will have a superfast processor and SATA express will be out.  Current SSD's are limited by SATA III to about 500mb/sec, and huge image files take a lot of time to process.
At least Canon has options for sraw that you can select when you don't want full blown resolution.  With the D800, you get those huge files every time if you want to use raw.
That way a user would have a choice.

Yes but I doubt Canon will try to incorporate anything more than what is bare minimum. Lately they just don't seem to be interested in leapfrogging the competition, they seem to be content with merely keeping in step. So I doubt they would use any new technology that hasn't been tried and true like SATA Express. Perhaps this time we'll at least hopefully get USB 3.0 (although I would prefer Thunderbolt) as an I/O upgrade. But who knows, perhaps they'll prove me wrong. I certainly hope so for everyone's sake.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 07:07:35 PM »
I'm really surprised that photo software companies aren't jumping all over GPU acceleration. When you can make things go faster using the hardware everyone already has it seems silly not to.

to make real use of it the task must be highly parallel.
then there is the memory problem. memory access and amount of memory.

and GPU coding is not for every java coder out there.
tools are getting better but it´s still not easy.

Photos are a wonderful candidate for GPU processing.... That's why products like Autopano Giga speed up by a factor of ten when you enable the GPU option. (If you have a kick-ass Nvidea card). Also, adobe photoshop's latest version can use GPU's, just not Lightroom.... Yet....
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:11:10 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 07:15:12 PM »
WOW, Canon still at least 2 years shy of the Nikon D800 sensor ...  :o
Confirms what I thought all along.

Geriatric ward really missed the boat big time.

The pendulum swings back and forth in technology. I doubt that Canon will be in the backseat forever.
More importantly, are we losing money from the lack of MP or is this just a hobbyist's lament?

Canon 14-24

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 07:15:37 PM »
I can forgive Canon for these past many years on holding out on a 14-24 lens, if they were waiting to see how such a lens would resolve with a high megapixel monster. In any case release both at the same time!

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »
Here's hoping for an increase in dynamic range, and in signal-to-noise ratios.

+ 1  I've stopped caring about MP a lot time ago.  However improved low ISO DR and SNR would be welcome!   Looks like the 7D2 may really get the new sensor tech - and Canon users can stop complaining about having old sensor tech.  (but we'll see, we've all said that before...)
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 07:26:31 PM »
If this is true, then Canon almost certainly will have to update a number of L lenses if this body is in the horizon...I won't name names...but a number of names come to mind.

There is little doubt that the high MP is very exacting of glass, but it depends even more on very careful setup  by the photographer.

I suspect that the need for lens upgrades is part of any 2014 plan.  Certainly, a wide zoom is a candidate for upgrade.

I recall when the 1Ds Mark III came out with 21 mp, there were complainers everywhere saying that their was no glass to match the sensor, and that their images were blurry.

The same happened with the 7D.  Photographers can learn to maximize the use of what they have.  Usually, it means faster shutter speeds, or more stable tripods.  Even slight subject motion will cause a blur with slow shutter speeds. 

This means that the high ISO that you thought you had can be reduced effectively a stop because of the need for doubling shutter speed.

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »
Canon will have to update their 16-35II and perhaps even the earlier version-one L primes...

It is clear they are having difficulty delivering on the UWA front... it is certainly not for the lack of trying. They have tried with version II which is, as I said elsewhere, "meh".
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »
I read this rumour and i take from it...

The 7D2, 1DX, 1DC, 1DLMP(Large Mega Pixel?) will all be in the same body/shell.

So that would mean 4 Pro bodies

Then the 5D3 is semi pro, with the 70D and 6D being an adv amateur line?(don't really know that the difference between the 2 classifications are)

After that it all gets a LOT confusing.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 07:50:07 PM »
Canon will have to update their 16-35II and perhaps even the earlier version-one L primes...

It is clear they are having difficulty delivering on the UWA front... it is certainly not for the lack of trying. They have tried with version II which is, as I said elsewhere, "meh".

The 16-35 was (I read a canon comment a few years back) introduced for PJ's using the APS-H cameras.  The MK II was a  attempt to upgrade it for FF.

Canon knows how to produce a top quality wide lens, but they have not figured out how to make one that ordinary millionaires can afford.

You see that with other products as well, some car companies are good at making large cars, but are utter flops at making small cars.  Some small truck makers have flopped in the full sized truck area.

Its not easy to overcome that type of thing, some highly experienced employees  don't always want to change their rules of thumb for design, and they pass down those rules and keep new employees under their thumb.

Nikon suffered from that until some younger blood finally got to the top.  The trouble is, they also need to make a profit.  Innovative ideas do not keep a company in business if they don't turn a profit.

Nikon is building a giant plant in Laos to open this fall, apparently hoping to ultimately get their costs down.  They also (I think) understand that the warmer weather means more floods and they need to have plan(t) B.  I hope it works out for them, lower prices are certainly welcome, and Canon is in the drivers seat right now as far as cost of production is concerned.  They drop prices and still make a nice profit.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 07:50:07 PM »