October 22, 2014, 09:01:13 PM

Author Topic: Big Megapixel Development Announcement in the Fall? [CR2]  (Read 36831 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Big Megapixel Development Announcement in the Fall? [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »
WOW, Canon still at least 2 years shy of the Nikon D800 sensor ...  :o
Confirms what I thought all along.

Geriatric ward really missed the boat big time.

How many years did Canon have a 'prosumer' 21 MP FF camera while Nikon's offering in that space had 12 MP?

And after 4.5 years  Canon has reduced the number of MP they had in that camera from 21 to 18, falling behind Nikon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 07:58:47 PM »

How many years did Canon have a 'prosumer' 21 MP FF camera while Nikon's offering in that space had 12 MP?

And after 4.5 years  Canon has reduced the number of MP they had in that camera from 21 to 18, falling behind Nikon.

How many megapixels does the D4 have? 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

SpaceGhost

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2013, 08:00:02 PM »
I didn't have time to read all the posts but its all rumors anyway,

The big question is what body will this be in.

I'm sporting the 1D-X and the 5D3 was tempting (but some features only a little better and negatives were big for me) but I prefer the series 1 bodies and features. However, I would have loved a big step up in megapixels in my 1D-X.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2013, 08:03:31 PM »
Yeh, you can get it with the kit lens, the 200-400 f4 + inbuilt 1.4 TC!

The kit comes with a free unicorn. Pre announcing a development announcement 7 months early sounds desperate.

This.

Announcements of future announcements is getting kind of stale. Canon needs to release the 70D so everyone can bitch about its rehashed, milked for every drop sensor. Then Canon can announce the upcoming announcement of the 7Dll (or whatever). Interesting that many here think the new tech will cost under $2000...

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2013, 08:08:15 PM »
The big question is what body will this be in.

I'm sporting the 1D-X and the 5D3 was tempting (but some features only a little better and negatives were big for me) but I prefer the series 1 bodies and features. However, I would have loved a big step up in megapixels in my 1D-X.
I'd prefer rebel size. Yes, seriously.

There is no need to feel like a overpacked mountain donkey while hiking / traveling for landscapes. :) My shoulders says no! .. After all, a high MP body will surely be aimed at landscapers and travelers.

But yeah, it will probably be a 1D-type body, just so that Canon can charge extra for the "pro size". ::)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:09:59 PM by Ricku »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »
Maybe by then, Intel will have a superfast processor and SATA express will be out.  Current SSD's are limited by SATA III to about 500mb/sec, and huge image files take a lot of time to process.
At least Canon has options for sraw that you can select when you don't want full blown resolution.  With the D800, you get those huge files every time if you want to use raw.
That way a user would have a choice.

Yes but I doubt Canon will try to incorporate anything more than what is bare minimum. Lately they just don't seem to be interested in leapfrogging the competition, they seem to be content with merely keeping in step. So I doubt they would use any new technology that hasn't been tried and true like SATA Express. Perhaps this time we'll at least hopefully get USB 3.0 (although I would prefer Thunderbolt) as an I/O upgrade. But who knows, perhaps they'll prove me wrong. I certainly hope so for everyone's sake.

My observation is that Canon has got conservative after the problems with AF on the 1D M2/3.  Years ago they were very innovative with the first eye control, DO, 1N RS but these technologies never went any where.  Yes there is still talk of DO but when was the last DO lens introduced.

I would not call the 5D M3 behind Nikon - Nikon had the high MP D800 while Canon created a great (though a bit higher priced than I would like) proconsumer workhorse that has good low light function, excellent ergonomics, ....  May not be perfect but a very good camera.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 08:26:51 PM »
Canon will have to update their 16-35II and perhaps even the earlier version-one L primes...

It is clear they are having difficulty delivering on the UWA front... it is certainly not for the lack of trying. They have tried with version II which is, as I said elsewhere, "meh".

Too bad they can not license Nikon's 14-24 in exchange for their TS.

On the UWA front, the 14 is great, so is the 17 TS.  If they had a 17 non-TS on par with the 14/17 TS I would be very interested.  The 17 TS is too big and too pricey

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 08:26:51 PM »

gary samples

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 08:45:56 PM »
can't wait it will a lot harder for all the Nikon fan boys that seem to live here to run there heads LOL   
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:25:26 PM by gary samples »

hmmm

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2013, 09:07:32 PM »
The game plan is becoming clear, I think...

The 70D will be the 18MP sensor plus Digic 6.

The 7D mkII will at last have the new sensor and Digic 6  (as the 7D was the original rollout of the now ancient 18 mp sensor in 2009.)

The development announcement of the Big MP sensor will have the new technology as well.

That puts me back to square one of keeping an eye peeled for a real good deal on a 6D...  For my own needs I can't see spending 2200 on an aps-c 7D mkII, though I expect a lot of folks will.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2013, 09:17:49 PM »
I read this rumour and i take from it...

The 7D2, 1DX, 1DC, 1DLMP(Large Mega Pixel?) will all be in the same body/shell.

So that would mean 4 Pro bodies

Then the 5D3 is semi pro, with the 70D and 6D being an adv amateur line?(don't really know that the difference between the 2 classifications are)

After that it all gets a LOT confusing.

Those who are shelling out hard earned money for these will know what they are.  You don't just drop into best buy and see them all.

Those who have a ton of money and want the best will buy the most expensive Leica and use it as a point and shoot.  Its all about status symbol at that level.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2013, 09:18:17 PM »
Maybe by then, Intel will have a superfast processor and SATA express will be out.  Current SSD's are limited by SATA III to about 500mb/sec, and huge image files take a lot of time to process.
At least Canon has options for sraw that you can select when you don't want full blown resolution.  With the D800, you get those huge files every time if you want to use raw.
That way a user would have a choice.

Yeah but sRAW isn't really all that RAW and with Nikon you can use crop mode FULL RAW which is great for wildlife since you maintain reach while not wasting storage on all the outer border areas so I'd actually WAY rather they went to the Nikon way of handling it.

I'd rather it be 39MP for perfect video and keeping 6fps than 47 or 50+ and being less than 5fps and having worse video.

Crop mode on my D800 crops the image away.  That's not useful to lose part of your FF image.  Its a feature added for those using the old DX lenses and turns the D800 into a 16mp crop camera.  I could use a 7D and get a cropped image with more pixels than a cropped D800.
If I had 1500 images to edit from a large MP sensor, I'd certainly try sraw or mraw.  I went looking for the feature after I got my D800 and had a day to edit 500 images, it was not fun to spend that many unplanned hours.

It's VERY useful to crop away part of the FF image if you are reach limited since you get a small file PLUS full on true RAW (sRAW and mRAW are not the same as real RAW files) and without loss of reach as you get with sRAW and mRAW. So you get everything you want without any loss whatsoever and save space.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
I'm really surprised that photo software companies aren't jumping all over GPU acceleration. When you can make things go faster using the hardware everyone already has it seems silly not to.

to make real use of it the task must be highly parallel.
then there is the memory problem. memory access and amount of memory.

and GPU coding is not for every java coder out there.
tools are getting better but it´s still not easy.

lots of image processing is highly parallel though

gputah

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2013, 10:06:16 PM »
Some of these comments make me smile...

Canon focused on AF systems this time around. They have lead the industry with their sensors for a while, and only have slowed down in the last few years. But the AF systems have needed some improvement and they certainly have done that with the 1Dx. The 1Dx's AF is up to 3 times more responsive than the D4's AF system and has pretty much more of everything in it than the D4's AF. Plus it has 2mp more, and shoots faster FPS.  (Great review to compare them: http://youtu.be/VyNFOPrIKmQ)

I swear, people are never happy. I see it everywhere. I also do real estate. You want EVERYTHING in one house/camera and then complain if you have to pay for it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2013, 10:06:16 PM »

fonts

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2013, 10:26:56 PM »
Some of these comments make me smile...

Canon focused on AF systems this time around. They have lead the industry with their sensors for a while, and only have slowed down in the last few years. But the AF systems have needed some improvement and they certainly have done that with the 1Dx. The 1Dx's AF is up to 3 times more responsive than the D4's AF system and has pretty much more of everything in it than the D4's AF. Plus it has 2mp more, and shoots faster FPS.  (Great review to compare them: http://youtu.be/VyNFOPrIKmQ)

I swear, people are never happy. I see it everywhere. I also do real estate. You want EVERYTHING in one house/camera and then complain if you have to pay for it.

+9001...

No Seriously, this is EXACTLY my point on another thread.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2013, 10:37:40 PM »

How many megapixels does the D4 have?

D4 is not the style of camera being referred to here, it is the 5D2/6D/D700/D600.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2013, 10:37:40 PM »