September 02, 2014, 07:52:28 PM

Author Topic: Big Megapixel Development Announcement in the Fall? [CR2]  (Read 35002 times)

fonts

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Big Megapixel Development Announcement in the Fall? [CR2]
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2013, 10:47:39 PM »
WOW, Canon still at least 2 years shy of the Nikon D800 sensor ...  :o
Confirms what I thought all along.

Geriatric ward really missed the boat big time.

How many years did Canon have a 'prosumer' 21 MP FF camera while Nikon's offering in that space had 12 MP?

And after 4.5 years  Canon has reduced the number of MP they had in that camera from 21 to 18, falling behind Nikon.

How many megapixels does the D4 have?

D4 is not the style of camera being referred to here, it is the 5D2/6D/D700/D600.

Oh I get it...we can only look at a select few to make the point valid right?  ???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2013, 10:47:39 PM »

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2013, 10:56:44 PM »
So, all eyes on the sensor technology in 7DMk2 and big megapixel camera.... Cooooool....

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »

How many years did Canon have a 'prosumer' 21 MP FF camera while Nikon's offering in that space had 12 MP?

And after 4.5 years  Canon has reduced the number of MP they had in that camera from 21 to 18, falling behind Nikon.

D4 is not the style of camera being referred to here, it is the 5D2/6D/D700/D600.

Ok, so which of the 5D2 or 6D has 18 mp then?  Which Canon camera were you referring to that has 18 mp if it was not the 1DX?  You specifically said that the prosumer camera that Canon led with went from 21 mp to 18 mp.  What camera are you talking about then, that has 18 mp?  The 1DX goes head to head with the D4, and so everyone suddenly wants to use mp's, so I use mp's, and the 1DX has 2 more than the D4.  I'm satisfied with my argument. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2013, 11:09:47 PM »
Yup.  Kinda what I figured.  If they have something that competes with MF on the performance and quality side of things, I'd be very interested.  As a fashion/beauty photographer, my 5D Mark II is totally fine until I upgrade to MF.  There really isn't anything significantly better in-between those two...
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

mjbehnke

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2013, 11:16:06 PM »
I wonder if Canon has been putting this monster off until they got all these upgraded lenses out? Now that Canon has upgraded (Updated) some of their most popular lenses, makes me think they wanted to be sure they had the resolving power to support big mega pixels? Just my 2 cents worth. But I think it makes sense?
Gripped Canon 60D \ EF-S 15-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM \ EF 70-200 F4L IS USM \ 430ex II Speedlite \ Love for photography.

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2013, 11:20:46 PM »
Some of these comments make me smile...

Canon focused on AF systems this time around. They have lead the industry with their sensors for a while, and only have slowed down in the last few years. But the AF systems have needed some improvement and they certainly have done that with the 1Dx. The 1Dx's AF is up to 3 times more responsive than the D4's AF system and has pretty much more of everything in it than the D4's AF. Plus it has 2mp more, and shoots faster FPS.  (Great review to compare them: http://youtu.be/VyNFOPrIKmQ)

I swear, people are never happy. I see it everywhere. I also do real estate. You want EVERYTHING in one house/camera and then complain if you have to pay for it.

That's so true!

birtembuk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2013, 12:04:51 AM »
Some of these comments make me smile...

I swear, people are never happy. I see it everywhere. I also do real estate. You want EVERYTHING in one house/camera and then complain if you have to pay for it.

Smiling here too ... Take the 16-35/II. Today it can be gotten for 1300 bucks. Now, I bet this new hypothetical 14-24 - assuming top of the range - will not come for less than 2500. Some nice moaning and groaning in perspective then ...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2013, 12:04:51 AM »

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2013, 01:21:58 AM »
7DII having more pro features. ?

Such as ?

No pop up flash.

jarrieta

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2013, 01:24:49 AM »
That puts me back to square one of keeping an eye peeled for a real good deal on a 6D...  For my own needs I can't see spending 2200 on an aps-c 7D mkII, though I expect a lot of folks will.

Share the same opinion. I shoot with a Rebel and I don't shoot fast action much. Taking my time and see whats in the horizon. If the 60D successor will have a significant IQ improvement then I may move up to that, otherwise I'd go with the 6D.

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2013, 01:37:39 AM »
Nikon suffered from that until some younger blood finally got to the top.  The trouble is, they also need to make a profit.  Innovative ideas do not keep a company in business if they don't turn a profit.

Nikon is building a giant plant in Laos to open this fall, apparently hoping to ultimately get their costs down.  They also (I think) understand that the warmer weather means more floods and they need to have plan(t) B.  I hope it works out for them, lower prices are certainly welcome, and Canon is in the drivers seat right now as far as cost of production is concerned.  They drop prices and still make a nice profit.

Great analysis. One reason Nikon has problems with profits is they tried too hard to displace Canon as market leader. But Nikon must also improve their quality control. Obviously, their standard has taken quite a hit recently with the D800 left side misfocus and D600 sensor debris problems...

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2013, 02:26:29 AM »

Ok, so which of the 5D2 or 6D has 18 mp then?

My mistake, it should have been 20 and not 18 but the point remains that it was a reduction in MP from the 21 of the 5D2.

M.ST

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2013, 02:27:28 AM »
Hint: Two different prototypes from Canon and a prototype from Nikon (maybe named D4X) is out for testing in the field.

The 7D Mark II is a big step away from a possible introduced 70D.

My advice: Wait until the 7D Mark II is releasend and then decide if you want go FF from APS-C. If you compare the 7D Mark II prototype with the 6D. Well ...

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2013, 02:31:26 AM »
Hint: Two different prototypes from Canon and a prototype from Nikon (maybe named D4X) is out for testing in the field.

The 7D Mark II is a big step away from a possible introduced 70D.

My advice: Wait until the 7D Mark II is releasend and then decide if you want go FF from APS-C. If you compare the 7D Mark II prototype with the 6D. Well ...

part of me almost wonders if I might not to go APS-C from FF  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2013, 02:31:26 AM »

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2013, 03:06:52 AM »
I'd love to see a new body from Canon, crop or FF, that actually makes a measurable (by DxOmark) improvement in low ISO read noise.  Canon's done great guns at improving higher ISO across the board from compacts to pro SLR
but they still lag grossly at low ISO shadow SNR - sure, it only affects a few of us to any significant extent, but I won't spend any of my money on another Canon body until they actually show some serious improvement in that area.

Nothing they've brought out in the last few (to 10) years has made any significant improvement in this area.  So much so that not only will I not buy another Canon body until they improve, I've sold the more expensive newer ones that failed to deliver anything over the older bodies I already have. AF improvements, video and other features are nice but I'd just like a much improved stills shooter, please.

BTW, my favorite new under-puppy Pentax might release a FF body this year, likely a conservative 24MP unit.
If it performs anything like their K5 series, their market share is likely to double!  from darn near nuthing to twice that!  ;D
However, as an enthusiast camera maker, Pentax has a small but very loyal user/fan base, many of whom still own some FF compatible old film-era lenses so if they do release a reasonably priced (and they're as bad for this as Canon) new FF body, I can see some uptake from existing users who'd prefer not to go CaNikon to get FF goodness.  count me in as one of those who'll be willing to give that new FF a whirl.

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2013, 03:39:48 AM »
The lag between announcement and delivery is based on manufacturing ramp up time for FF using a modified process and the fact that Nikon will produce theirs first. Let's remember we still want Canon to be in business, so yes they will pre-announce...

SATA III drives max out at around 400-500MBps (real-world) not Mbps, so I don't think the i/o subsystem is a bottleneck  :D

Exmor is equivalent to Digic, not the sensor....

I agree with the other post and have said before - Canon released updated glass first as they can get revenue ahead of the sensor improvements on both the 7D II and 1DxL :D

USB 3 / thunderbolt - I've only ever used USB to control the camera - do others prefer to use these i/f to offload pictures etc? The Ethernet on the 1Dx is faster than the CF card, as would be the USB 3 and Thunderbolt, so not sure the benefit of adding a faster i/o ports without faster CF, unless you are tethered....

Photographers asked for better high iso, and the way Canon chose to do it, presumably based on sensor limitations was to reduce the MP slightly. They're a business and thus want to respond as best as they can with the tech they have to retain you. Pretty normal IMHO....

Overall, when I read these threads I am reminded on Tom Hogan who normally calls it correctly when he said with the current cameras from Nikon & Canon you really can't blame the camera on making bad pictures, only the photographer.... :D
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2013, 03:39:48 AM »