September 20, 2014, 02:08:19 PM

Author Topic: Big Megapixel Development Announcement in the Fall? [CR2]  (Read 35558 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: Big Megapixel Development Announcement in the Fall? [CR2]
« Reply #195 on: April 12, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
nice, I have them also, but DXO means that the sigma 85mm is better than my Canon 85/1.2mk2, and cheaper.
what to do?what to do?

The sigma 85mm does not render better than the 85L II. It just doesn't.

I didnt say that, I say that DXO gives the Sigma lens higher score than 85/1,2 mk2

There is more to a lens that just a score.  ;)

Their 85IIL must have been seriously out of spec and shows just how laughable DXO testing really is. My copy (which I use wide open all the time) is sharper than my 135IIL and 70-200 f2.8 L IS II. It's a stunning optic. I've tried the Sigma, it's was nice but not in the Canon league. It's Focussing was erratic and the images just don't look as nice....plus it's not quite as bright and certainly not as well built. The Canon 85IIL is an engineering masterpiece. My copy is now 5 years old and still looks new and it's had a hard life....good luck with your Sigma in that regard. I've had a lot of Sigma glass over the years and I've completely lost faith in the brand.

I have a hard time with lens testing in general. The only lens tests I've ever found reliable are those from LensRentals.com, and the reason I find them reliable is the way they are tested: In batches, sometimes a dozen or more strong. You can't really evaluate the performance of a lens until you've tested multiple copies with the same procedure. Only then an to arrive at a reasonable average, standard deviation, etc. Sites that test a single copy of a lens are just asking for trouble...
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #195 on: April 12, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »

Skulker

• 7D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 12, 2013, 06:10:52 PM »
well, the megapixels gives you freedom , the DR also.
IF Canon has the same camera as Nikon, what should your answer be then?
I do not like resolution, or a great DR

Interesting that you think the Megapixels gives you freedom. I take it to mean to crop more. That's not something I need. I get all the "reach" I need from my current lens selection. 

I see your comments about resolution or DR try to take this away from the Megapixel topic. That is EXACTLY what the post before mine was talking about. So I won't comment, but you can rest assure I don't agree with your attempt to imply that I am influenced by the make of the camera.

But thanks for the reply about Megapixels. I certainly was surprised that the increased IQ of the 1Dx and the 5D3 allowed me to crop so much that I do not miss the crop factor from the 7D

Ever heard of Gigapan?
Everyone using those will be grateful when higher resolution cameras are more common.

No never heard of it.   ;D   I did look it up, look like it makes all those big megapixels cameras a waste of time, you can get as many pixels as you like by using as many photo's as you like. Enjoy your pixel peeking  ;D But its not something I will ever use. Just not my type of thing.  I was at a lecture the other day from someone who actually produces large composite images, many costing about $40,000 just for the post processing. He uses a camera over 8 years old, and he had no wish to change to a newer model.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 13, 2013, 01:25:09 AM »

Ever heard of Gigapan?
Everyone using those will be grateful when higher resolution cameras are more common.

No never heard of it.   ;D   I did look it up, look like it makes all those big megapixels cameras a waste of time, you can get as many pixels as you like by using as many photo's as you like. Enjoy your pixel peeking  ;D But its not something I will ever use. Just not my type of thing.  I was at a lecture the other day from someone who actually produces large composite images, many costing about $40,000 just for the post processing. He uses a camera over 8 years old, and he had no wish to change to a newer model.

With composite shots specifically it becomes a ratio of time vs. productivity. If you have a target image size the higher resolution camera will get you there faster (which can help in avoiding changing environments), or you can just keep doing the same thing and get better pictures.
Edit: Speaking of which, I loved using PhotoStitch with my first high end compact six years ago, now that I have an SLR (first camera broke) I should get back into it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:31:52 AM by 9VIII »
-100% RAW-

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #198 on: April 14, 2013, 06:14:32 PM »
Agreed, but to say the 85L II is sharper than the 135L is stretch. Even though we're comparing razors to razors.

I can only state what my particular lenses show. My 85IIL is a bit sharper than my 135L. Both are sharp, no argument! My 135L is about as sharp as my 70-200 f2.8 L IS II.
But my sharpest lens is easily my 400 f2.8 L IS and then my 100 LIS Macro. Both of these lenses are bonkers sharp. My old 100mm USM macro was sharp but not as sharp as my L version, other people used to rave about theirs, mine was a little so-so.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #198 on: April 14, 2013, 06:14:32 PM »