October 24, 2014, 04:51:26 AM

Author Topic: My full street photography kit and why my 5dmk3 is perfect for street shooting.  (Read 15637 times)

Sith Zombie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lightroom Images
While I'm not a major street photographer, I'v found for candid shots something like the nex 5n is well suited. You can have the camera at waist level, flip the screen up so you can look down at it for framing [classic twin lens reflex style!] and it makes it look like you are not even taking a picture but just messing with the controls. This works especially well if you have a puzzled look on your face  ;). The lens selection is getting better on nex and your capturing pictures with a aps-c sized sensor, a very good one at that.

canon rumors FORUM

Mark Carey

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
You can do great street photography with any of the 5ds. It's more about the skill then the camera.

Check out this guy for instance:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maciejdakowicz/
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/maciejdakowicz/popular-interesting/

Maciej is a brilliant photographer. Im going to be shooting with him in May in Istanblul and looking forward to it. The fact remains that when the light gets difficult the 5d3 will be a camera that handles high ISO much better and attains focus when the 5d2 or original 5d's are hunting.  All photography primarily relies on the skill of the photographer that is a given.

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
5Diii + 50mm 1.4 is the most perfect combo for street I've ever owned. I've been thinking about getting a 35mm but very undecided.

If you think the 5Diii is too heavy, you need to work out a little more, especially on your arms and shoulders...

If you think people get angry when being shot with a camera like the 5Diii then you probably need to work on your rapport a little. Maybe a smile, maybe a motion, maybe a couple of words or a conversation? You might even make new friends. Especially with chicks and older folk. The people that you most likely want to shoot are exhibitionists most of the time anyway, are they not?
5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
at 6'3" I don't get to be incognito, so I just go with it. my fave combo ATM is the 5diii and 100mm macro. it's not about the camera, or how small you can make yourself. it's about what you can do with the camera and how you react to others

miah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Mark Carey, I get that you believe a small prime like a 35 or 50mm is ideal for street shooting because they're lightweight and unobtrusive, but I (perhaps wrongly) infer from your posts and excellent blog that you feel using a long lens is somewhat akin to cheating. Certainly, we each have our own styles, and your galleries are truly admirable, but I'd like to offer up an additional point of view.

Like you, I believe in remaining as discreet as possible, melting into the background and letting the candid drama unfold around me. And while I agree that longer lenses are more intrusive as no one likes having a "big gun" aimed at them, they are often the only tool that allows you adequate distance to permit certain events to unfold unabated. When you can get up close, wide, bright lenses are awesome, but when you can't (or shouldn't), long lenses afford their own special anonymity.

For instance, while riding my motorcycle across Ecuador I stumbled upon a funeral procession (they were on foot). It was a sad day, to be sure, as a small baby had lost his/her life. But the glimpse this allowed into the lives of these mountain folk was truly engaging. There was no ethical opportunity to stop and pull my DSLR and wide angle lens out from my tankbag, so I was inclined to motor ahead, find a discreet place to pull over, and use my 70-300 lens to capture the scene without disturbing the procession or offending the distraught.

I can think of many other examples, but my point is that street shooting, like every other type of photography, requires a great deal of flexibility. And while carrying a longer lens adds weight and bulk to your kit, it's sometimes the only way to seize a moment.
T3i • 10-22 • 15-85 • 70-300DO *** 5D3 • 35 f/2 • 50 f/1.8 • 24-105L • 100L • 70-300L • 35-350L • 400L f/5.6

Mark Carey

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Mark Carey, I get that you believe a small prime like a 35 or 50mm is ideal for street shooting because they're lightweight and unobtrusive, but I (perhaps wrongly) infer from your posts and excellent blog that you feel using a long lens is somewhat akin to cheating. Certainly, we each have our own styles, and your galleries are truly admirable, but I'd like to offer up an additional point of view.

Like you, I believe in remaining as discreet as possible, melting into the background and letting the candid drama unfold around me. And while I agree that longer lenses are more intrusive as no one likes having a "big gun" aimed at them, they are often the only tool that allows you adequate distance to permit certain events to unfold unabated. When you can get up close, wide, bright lenses are awesome, but when you can't (or shouldn't), long lenses afford their own special anonymity.

For instance, while riding my motorcycle across Ecuador I stumbled upon a funeral procession (they were on foot). It was a sad day, to be sure, as a small baby had lost his/her life. But the glimpse this allowed into the lives of these mountain folk was truly engaging. There was no ethical opportunity to stop and pull my DSLR and wide angle lens out from my tankbag, so I was inclined to motor ahead, find a discreet place to pull over, and use my 70-300 lens to capture the scene without disturbing the procession or offending the distraught.

I can think of many other examples, but my point is that street shooting, like every other type of photography, requires a great deal of flexibility. And while carrying a longer lens adds weight and bulk to your kit, it's sometimes the only way to seize a moment.

High Miah - Thanks for your response and your kind words about my blog.  Cheating - hmm....I guess I do a little because I think of street photography as being intimate and storytelling and these are not properties of longer focal lengths. The perspective you get from longer focal lengths is totally different to how the human eye would see and so you can't really imagine that you might be standing close to these people. And, if you are going to be close, it makes people less nervous the smaller the lens you have. Thats just my experience and the kind of street photography I like - I realise that others may prefer different styles.

Long lenses definitely have their place. I use an 85 for work and it produces beautiful results and I feel its appropriate. I have a friend who shoots with a 70-200 and I marvel at all the interesting little details he picks out that I would never be able to get....
And of course you may be able to shoot places that I can't because I cant get physically close enough like the funeral procession you describe.

Mark Carey

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
5Diii + 50mm 1.4 is the most perfect combo for street I've ever owned. I've been thinking about getting a 35mm but very undecided.

If you think the 5Diii is too heavy, you need to work out a little more, especially on your arms and shoulders...

If you think people get angry when being shot with a camera like the 5Diii then you probably need to work on your rapport a little. Maybe a smile, maybe a motion, maybe a couple of words or a conversation? You might even make new friends. Especially with chicks and older folk. The people that you most likely want to shoot are exhibitionists most of the time anyway, are they not?

Not sure if that was directed at me but I agree I dont find the camera heavy.
I highly recommend the 35 f2 - basically its as light as a feather and 'good enough' for what we need to do.

canon rumors FORUM

Mark Carey

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
at 6'3" I don't get to be incognito, so I just go with it. my fave combo ATM is the 5diii and 100mm macro. it's not about the camera, or how small you can make yourself. it's about what you can do with the camera and how you react to others

Shooting at 100 mm is going to produce so completely different images  to shooting at 35mm it is not comparing like with like. If you are close then you must be taking tight shots only and if you are far away then your relationship with your subjects is going to be entirely different also, not to mention your perspective.

LewisShermer

• EOS M2
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!

I highly recommend the 35 f2 - basically its as light as a feather and 'good enough' for what we need to do.

Nope, not at you... to the 2 groups of people that think the 5Diii is too heavy and that try and hide the fact they're going around taking photos of people.

I'll also throw in the people that complain about the new bottom of the range cameras that get released not being as good as £2000 cameras
5Diii, 1Dsiii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
the 2 groups of people that think the 5Diii is too heavy and that try and hide the fact they're going around taking photos of people.

I'll also throw in the people that complain about the new bottom of the range cameras that get released not being as good as £2000 cameras
;D ;D ;D ... good one.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
You can do great street photography with any of the 5ds. It's more about the skill then the camera.

Check out this guy for instance:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maciejdakowicz/
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/maciejdakowicz/popular-interesting/
+1
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Mark Carey

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile

Nope, not at you... to the 2 groups of people that think the 5Diii is too heavy and that try and hide the fact they're going around taking photos of people.

yeah, image quality seems to be disregarded quite a lot when such making comparisons....

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
I'll agree that in street photography, standard lengths are better as I always see street photography as including the environment the person is in.  It's not a simple photograph, a street photograph is in the street so its about the person's relationship with the background at least as much as it is about the person. 

canon rumors FORUM

EvilTed

so I was inclined to motor ahead, find a discreet place to pull over, and use my 70-300 lens to capture the scene without disturbing the procession or offending the distraught

That is akin to sniping.
Find yourself a good place to hide and wait?
Sorry mate, but this voyeurism, not street photography.
Having the balls to get up close and personal to take the shot in the first place is the whole point of street photography...

ET

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile

Having the balls to get up close and personal to take the shot in the first place is the whole point of street photography...

Yes and its actually much harder to do than i thought. I think 70-300 mm isnt a good street focal range too plus its really noticable carrying such a big lens around. It also looks like a phallic symbol. RUDE! :D

I prefer 35mm and wider cuz it shows that people in context to the environment where they work or whatever. Also i prefer not only bokeh street shots. Sometimes its just the fun to have some 24mm f/8 Street photo with so many details to notice.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 01:00:40 PM by sandymandy »

canon rumors FORUM