August 01, 2014, 02:04:42 AM

Author Topic: 1D X Firmware Update - What would you like to see?  (Read 1304 times)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
1D X Firmware Update - What would you like to see?
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:49:42 AM »
What would you like to see added to Canon's next firmware update for the 1D X?

I would like more than 6 choices in the My Menu. Even just 2 extra would be nice as I do find the My menu quite useful.

1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

1D X Firmware Update - What would you like to see?
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:49:42 AM »

nightbreath

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
Re: 1D X Firmware Update - What would you like to see?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 04:57:44 PM »
I would like to have AFMA for lenses with curved focal length, where you can assign different adjustments to each focus point. And it'll be great to have exposure compensation for manual mode with ISO set to Auto  :)
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 06:41:55 PM »
  • AFMA built-in at the press of a button, and yes different for different focus points etc.
  • That exposure compensation in M with auto-iso.
  • Give ISO the same importance as time and aperture (e.g. put aperture on one wheel, iso on the other, and time in auto).
  • Histogram when you zoom like even the cheap Nikons do when reviewing pictures.
  • Same thing for live view.
  • When I hook up the 1DX to a LAN via Ethernet and the LAN has a wireless part I want to use the 6D's remote control iPhone app.
  • Optionally automatically enable mirror-lookup when the 2-second self-timer is used.
  • Sometimes I want to simply change a custom-mode from e.g. Tv to M or similar, which doesn't seem possible (please correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Orientation-linked AF-point-selection is cool, but how about linking choice of custom mode to orientation? EC? Let me choose!
  • The AE-sensor has enough resolution for face-detect, so warn me if the phase-detect point is not exactly on the eye (or, even better, give me a drive-mode that while I keep the shutter pressed takes a picture every time a phase-detect point happens on an eye and focus is achieved).
  • Show me the effective transfer rate to the card(s) in MB/sec.
  • If there's an internal temperature sensor, tell me what it's measuring.
  • More possibilities to configure minimum shutter speeds or maximum apertures etc. and priority between ISO, aperture and shutter speed ("set the highest f-number where you can maintain 1/100 or 1/focal length, whichever is faster, with ISO not above 6400" or "with the preselected CoC, give me aperture for no less than 2cm of DoF and give equal priority to ISO and shutter speed to get correct exposure").

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 06:43:32 PM »
What would you like to see added to Canon's next firmware update for the 1D X?

I would like more than 6 choices in the My Menu. Even just 2 extra would be nice as I do find the My menu quite useful.
Yes, that with the menu would be nice, too. In general the possibilities with the 1DX are much better than what I was used to, but there is obviously still much room for improvement...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »
  • Give ISO the same importance as time and aperture (e.g. put aperture on one wheel, iso on the other, and time in auto).
  • Sometimes I want to simply change a custom-mode from e.g. Tv to M or similar, which doesn't seem possible (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The first is possible now.  Av mode, and Custom Controls to switch the QCD to ISO (see p. 341).  With that, ISO is set during metering only.  With that setting in M mode, you set aperture/shutter when metering is inactive, and once you start metering you can adjust ISO.

You can't change the base mode of a C# setting. Canon could fix that for the 1D X, it seems to be a legacy of having a mode dial (the 1D X is the first to have C# settings and no mode dial).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

paolotaverna

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 12:05:01 PM »

1- Ability to make timelapse (like D4) without any cable or external tools.

2- Permanent illumination of AF point (servo or one shot)...man does it seem so hard.

3- Optimize AF - I'm sure there is a lot of space of optimization there in terms of speed, accuracy and especially repeatability. The fact that I must really use the "case" in AF Servo is always a challenge.  I would really find a way to simplify this and make the camera adjust to the situation (other than the "re focus" duration if someone goes in front of AF point).....

4- To not shot the AF point that is in memory or at least give the option (right now, the registered AF point always shows).

5- In movie mode: Ability to do exposure compensation when in Manual and Auto ISO.

6- agree with others, in Custom function, change from AV to M to...etc. (this is pretty silly if you ask me)

it's not firmware related but would love to see better dynamic range :-)

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
The first is possible now.  Av mode, and Custom Controls to switch the QCD to ISO (see p. 341).  With that, ISO is set during metering only.  With that setting in M mode, you set aperture/shutter when metering is inactive, and once you start metering you can adjust ISO.

You can't change the base mode of a C# setting. Canon could fix that for the 1D X, it seems to be a legacy of having a mode dial (the 1D X is the first to have C# settings and no mode dial).

Thanks for the hint regarding the ISO controls, that will be useful, and I'll read the manual again for other treasures that I might have missed. (All in all the customisability of the 1DX is really good compared to what I had before, and I'm glad to have made this upgrade.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »