August 23, 2014, 03:30:31 AM

Author Topic: Advatages of a hybrid viewfinder?  (Read 1263 times)

Pitbullo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Advatages of a hybrid viewfinder?
« on: April 05, 2014, 12:10:47 PM »
The rumored hybrid viewfinder Canon may be working on, what advantages will it bring? The reason I ask is because I was just reviewing the AF on my wife's nex-6 with face detection. Every time it nails focus on the eyes of the subject, something that is very difficult with my 550D. Can face detection be implemented with a hybrid VF? Are there other functions that will be available/possible with a hybrid VF? Focus peaking, live histogram?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 12:21:31 PM by Pitbullo »

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Advatages of a hybrid viewfinder?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »
Depends on what hybrid means.  If it just means that they're able to show data superimposed over the OVF image, then no.  If it means that the OVF can become a full EVF, then yes, but only when in EVF mode.

Pitbullo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 04:31:19 PM »
Depends on what hybrid means.  If it just means that they're able to show data superimposed over the OVF image, then no.  If it means that the OVF can become a full EVF, then yes, but only when in EVF mode.
I think what you describe is correct, just an evf superimposed over the ovf. I just thought that I've read a rumor about canon developing a hybrid VF. How it works, we'll, nobody but canon really knows. Hopefully they can bring the best of both worlds.

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 05:53:47 PM »

Incidentally, many of the newer DSLRs, including the 550D, support face detection when used in live view mode.

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 12:09:35 PM »
There are many benefits to a hybrid vf. The first is that shooting video would be easier as you would not have to deal with screen glare or seeing the vf in full sun. Another is that you can benefit from software image analysis in the vf while you shoot. The dual pixel cmos chips should make that possible. 

Now what we don't know is if in hybrid mode you can have both environments active at the same time. That is use phase detect af and get a superimposed image in real time of the intensity or color distributions.

Time will tell if new models will have that capability or not.

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 03:33:49 PM »
I would personally be very content with the implementation of a hybrid EVF in the way that Fuji has done it on the x100s and xpro1.

There are plenty of advantages that I love about having a good EVF (most of which have already been talked about previously). However, the biggest downside (IMO) is having to have it run all the time which is a battery killer. Merely having the option to switch back and forth would be huge.

The other thing that bothers me (which isn't a deal breaker) is the fact that one of it's big advantages can also be one of it's disadvantages in different shooting situations. What I'm referring to is the live preview of your image based on your settings. In most scenarios, this is great. But when you are shooting flash, the advantage becomes nil and actually is a nuisance since the VF goes dark in many scenarios as it cannot account for the light you will be adding.

Before any says it, yes, I know the preview can be turned off. But having to go through menus to turn it on and off in a dynamic shooting scenario can be a real pain.

So for me, there are pros and cons to each type of VF. A hybrid VF is the solution to that as it provides the end user with a choice. On my Fuji, it can be done with the flick of a hardware switch.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 03:47:01 PM by JohnDizzo15 »