July 31, 2014, 11:01:39 PM

Author Topic: 1DX Won't Power On  (Read 3272 times)

rang

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: 1DX Won't Power On
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 02:21:17 PM »
I have 4 othem and the've all been through the recalls via Irvine.
None of them have had any power issues. But I don't use third party batteries either. All expensive Canon LPN batteries.
Washed them under the faucet shot in pouring rain. They all get beat up. No one would ever want to buy them in future because they are not pretty. They are hard working rigs in the field and studios.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 02:21:17 PM »

StudentOfLight

• EOS M2
  • I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 04:04:45 PM »
Have you removed and formatted the memory card?
Fantasy Gear:
TS-E: 45mm f/2.8 L-II,  EF: 40mm f/0.8,  100mm f/1.4,  35-85mm f/1.8, 
EF with 1.4xInt: 100-300mm f/4 ,  500mm f/5.6 L

Nazareth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 05:23:53 PM »
Rang, I only use Canon batteries-

Student of the light- I have formatted the cards- I format them when I traqnsfer the photos to the computer

Neuro- one more time- They weren't even going to perform the product advisory work UNTIL I approved of being charged for work that was covered under warranty- I had to fight with them to even perform the product advisory work- they simply had set the camera on a shelf and never even began work on the product advisory issue- they should have at least done that work then contacted me IF they felt there was an issue with the warranty concerning the other issue, and asked me how to continue. They did not- they apparently weren't even going to contact me- I was the oen who had to contact them,

I have had a horrible experience with this camera right from Day one practically, and now the stinking thing is dead, making a bad situation worse. I am not a smart person, nor do I explain things well- but I came here to explain to people that they might run into the horrible issues I've run into, NOT to be berated and made to feel stupid by you- but you seem hell bent on doing so apparently- You';ve done this several times with me in previous threads- not sure what your problem is?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 06:27:19 PM »
My fault.  I should have realized that this...

This post is kind of a rant

...often leads to distortion of the truth, either overt or by omission, to make one's point.  I do understand your frustration - your camera should just work, and having it die – especially soon after the warranty expires – bites.  I assume you're in the US, not somewhere where stronger consumer-protection laws might benefit your situation?  Did you happen to charge your Amazon purchase on a credit card which doubles the product warranty?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 07:08:37 PM »
Rang, I only use Canon batteries-

Student of the light- I have formatted the cards- I format them when I traqnsfer the photos to the computer

Neuro- one more time- They weren't even going to perform the product advisory work UNTIL I approved of being charged for work that was covered under warranty- I had to fight with them to even perform the product advisory work- they simply had set the camera on a shelf and never even began work on the product advisory issue- they should have at least done that work then contacted me IF they felt there was an issue with the warranty concerning the other issue, and asked me how to continue. They did not- they apparently weren't even going to contact me- I was the oen who had to contact them,

I have had a horrible experience with this camera right from Day one practically, and now the stinking thing is dead, making a bad situation worse. I am not a smart person, nor do I explain things well- but I came here to explain to people that they might run into the horrible issues I've run into, NOT to be berated and made to feel stupid by you- but you seem hell bent on doing so apparently- You';ve done this several times with me in previous threads- not sure what your problem is?

In the uk, any canon repairs are covered by 6 month warranty, can't speak for elsewhere. So if you contact them as mentioned and point out the previous repair, the only cost *might* be the shipping cost. You should of course check as not all canon repair centres globally seem to work the same as this forum demonstrates....
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 08:17:21 PM »
Hi Nazareth, quite honestly sorry to hear the issues your having with with the 1Dx, not helpful of course but I had both my own 1Dx bodies into Canon Singapore last year & both returned just fine.

I do appreciate threads like this, the heads up warnings at least allow us to understand that there are often issues out there with the equipment we use.

If you wouldn't mind I'de like to know which Canon service centre you put your 1Dx into, only so I don't make the same mistake myself should I ever again have the need to service/repair a unit other than through Canon Singapore.

Among the comments made by Nuero there is one Gem and I was unaware of it myself, that's the comment regards use of a Credit Card with Amazon extending the Warranty Period, I've checked the info and it appears correct, this is useful information for you (and anyone else) in the hope that your Camera may still be under Warranty, worth checking.

You have my sympathies, for most a 1Dx is a significant investment and it's a little world shattering when things go wrong, your "little rant" is not unusual & your endeavours to give a heads up over an issue I at least was unaware of, should be commended.

My own history with Canon/Nikon might put some perspective into the problem, I owned the 1Ds MK III, This had been a total Horror story with the well documented AF issues, 5DMK III light leak issues on 2 out of 3 Bodies, D800 left/right out of whack Focus issues, Nikon finally replaced the Camera Body & I promptly sold it, My 200f/2 300f/2.8 II 400f/2.8 II 600f/4 II all required sending back to Canon Singapore for new firmware due to upgrades required due to release of the 1Dx & 5DMK III, so one might ask "why stay with Canon" ?? I understand these issues are relevant to all Camera systems & Canon I feel generally provide the best after sales service.

Don't take to heart negativity on a public forum, it's part of the beast, take the positives from the experience, hopefully there are some, i.e.. the extended warranty via Credit Card payment at Amazon.

I hope you get the issue fixed, unfortunately it's likely made you a D4s future buyer, but believe me all the Camera Manufactures have the same issues, these are mechanical pieces of gear, just like a Car or a Toaster, most work out of the Box, some don't, you unfortunately got one that has issues.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 08:27:31 PM »
Among the comments made by Nuero there is one Gem and I was unaware of it myself, that's the comment regards use of a Credit Card with Amazon extending the Warranty Period, I've checked the info and it appears correct, this is useful information for you (and anyone else) in the hope that your Camera may still be under Warranty, worth checking.

I did not know about that with Amazon either. I was aware that if you buy anything from anywhere (not just Amazon) with your American Express Card you get an extra year's warranty. So if a lens or body only comes with one year, you get two via American Express.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 08:27:31 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 08:49:06 PM »
I did not know about that with Amazon either. I was aware that if you buy anything from anywhere (not just Amazon) with your American Express Card you get an extra year's warranty. So if a lens or body only comes with one year, you get two via American Express.

Many Visa/MasterCard credit cards offer a similar benefit. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »

I wasn't aware of that either but I just checked my Amex card and here's how it read:

With Extended Warranty♦ you can shop with less worry knowing the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty can be extended up to one additional year. Applies to warranties of 5 years or less that are eligible in the U.S. Please read important exclusions and restrictions.

Thanks for pointing this out Neuro....I will definitely be using my Amex for all future purchases of gear and equipment that has a warranty.

Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 08:46:10 AM »
I wasn't aware of that either but I just checked my Amex card and here's how it read:

With Extended Warranty♦ you can shop with less worry knowing the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty can be extended up to one additional year. Applies to warranties of 5 years or less that are eligible in the U.S. Please read important exclusions and restrictions.

Thanks for pointing this out Neuro....I will definitely be using my Amex for all future purchases of gear and equipment that has a warranty.

It is a terrific feature from Amex, but as Neuro says, some other cards also offer the benefit.

I think this is a global benefit from Amex.

I always smile when I get an email from Canon asking if I want to extend the warranty for an extra year. No need!

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 10:14:40 AM »

It is a terrific feature from Amex, but as Neuro says, some other cards also offer the benefit.

I always smile when I get an email from Canon asking if I want to extend the warranty for an extra year. No need!
I don't know if all of the AMEX cards offer it but I know the Gold & Platinum charge cards do - and while other CCs may have this benefit, most of them require you to register the purchase with them, so be sure to read the terms & conditions of the extended warranty if your card offers one.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 10:31:42 AM »

I don't know if all of the AMEX cards offer it but I know the Gold & Platinum charge cards do - and while other CCs may have this benefit, most of them require you to register the purchase with them, so be sure to read the terms & conditions of the extended warranty if your card offers one.

This is a very good point. I did not know Amex offered this until I called them about an issue a year or two ago. I was surprised and asked why they did not promote this part of their service more,  but I cannot remember what they said. I know with Amex I do not need to do anything to get the extra year. Apart from a few silly issues I am extremely happy with Amex, they can be very understanding.

Rcpixel

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 06:27:24 PM »
Hi
I am writing from berlin and i have the same defect on my 1DX.

First body was changed by canon on august 2013 after canon was not able to fix the camera 4 times. The 3 time was something with platine and it was back from canon service with not working AF. Can you believe it... back from cps with new defect? It was on my birthsday

Then I got a new Body and it has started to have problem with the power too (just now, sice the 5.04.2014 -i am a cps member)
Like was said here, in the same way
First after try to check the picture with the play button after shot
Then every time after power on and first shot
Then sometimes it do not get on

Sometimes after first shot and and

I would like to if there are more people with the same problem.
I know a lot of fotografers from afp, ap, dpa and others that does not has these problem.

Are shops getting produkt with defekt sheaper or something like that?
Knows canon what they are doing ?
knows canon that i could not already 2 month fine work? Just Because I have chouse for a sure body and technology but the best from canon does not work?
Are canon saying sorry guys?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 06:27:24 PM »