August 31, 2014, 06:43:16 AM

Author Topic: 6D Autofocus not impressive  (Read 78097 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 6D Autofocus not impressive
« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »

That 6D image isn't remotely close to the actual spread on the camera.  It's far tighter and more centered than that.
True.

Here is the 6D AF point array set within the entire frame.

EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #196 on: June 17, 2013, 02:14:16 PM »

That 6D image isn't remotely close to the actual spread on the camera.  It's far tighter and more centered than that.
True.

Here is the 6D AF point array set within the entire frame.

TY Neuro...I knew the image i found was off...shouldn't have even posted it. 

Either way - as with all things in photography there is a give and take, you give up this and gain that.

I very much enjoy shots where the subject is set to the far left or right, and depending on the DOF i want, I focus recompose or shoot wider and crop.

I have worked with the little XSI, the 7d, the 5d2, 6d, and 5d3.  And in post process, my second shooters have used all of what I have and - a 5d Classic, a 1d3s, a t series, and I am just starting to take a look at files from a nikon d3 and a d4.  Give and take, above 1600 ISO the 6d, 5d3, d3 and d4 take the cake!  The 1d3s files were gorgeous!  But, the best that I saw from that body was at the ceremony and the formals.  At the reception, good but he had to use heavy flash to get the shots so while they are good, the ambient light is pretty much lost.  And as to the 7d - I used that body for 2 years, but after picking up the 5d3, even the extra range didn't matter because at the ISO ranges I typically work in (above 1600), the 5d files cropped looked better than the 7d's uncropped.  So far what I see from the 6d is pretty awesome, the files are on par with the mk3.  Give and take,  I'll gladly give up a few points of AF for that!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #197 on: June 17, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »
For portrait work, the 6d focus points absolutely stinks.  The grouping is far tighter than the range of crops ive used over the years.

I tried REALLY hard to like that camera...but i just couldn't do it. To much to give up on a 1500 dollar body to feel comfortable. The lack of a proper joystick is also a terrible loss, as the directional pad is mushy as all hell and imprecise.

And look at the 7100..totally embarrasses the 6d. Not trying to get into that debate, but seriously, F canon for that nonsense. Yup, if i wanted to shoot landscapes only, it would be hog heaven.

And yet i wait for a 7d2 / 70d.

Beyond Ridiculous.
Be the best you, screw everything else.

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 17, 2013, 04:28:38 PM »
For portrait work, the 6d focus points absolutely stinks.  The grouping is far tighter than the range of crops ive used over the years.

I tried REALLY hard to like that camera...but i just couldn't do it. To much to give up on a 1500 dollar body to feel comfortable. The lack of a proper joystick is also a terrible loss, as the directional pad is mushy as all hell and imprecise.

And look at the 7100..totally embarrasses the 6d. Not trying to get into that debate, but seriously, F canon for that nonsense. Yup, if i wanted to shoot landscapes only, it would be hog heaven.
Beyond Ridiculous.

We all have different priorities and preferences.  For me the 6D has proven to be an excellent camera.  After some use, I don't miss the joystick and find the directional pad easy and intuitive to use.  I do wish it had more AF points and/or they were spread out more, but have found it still works well for portrait work since I frequently focus and recompose using the center point.  I use the outer points when taking really shallow DOF shots and have found this works out well in all but really poor light.

Not sure what you mean by the D7100 embarrassing the 6D...  The 6D is full format and the 7100 a DX or 1.5 crop, so the 6D has a much larger (FF) sensor so IQ is of course better.  I agree the D7100 tops any of Canons current crop sensor bodies - it's newer!  But, only until the 7DII or 70D is released.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 17, 2013, 04:46:26 PM »

Beyond Ridiculous.

We all have different priorities and preferences.  For me the 6D has proven to be an excellent camera.  After some use, I don't miss the joystick and find the directional pad easy and intuitive to use.  I do wish it had more AF points and/or they were spread out more, but have found it still works well for portrait work since I frequently focus and recompose using the center point.  I use the outer points when taking really shallow DOF shots and have found this works out well in all but really poor light.

Not sure what you mean by the D7100 embarrassing the 6D...  The 6D is full format and the 7100 a DX or 1.5 crop, so the 6D has a much larger (FF) sensor so IQ is of course better.  I agree the D7100 tops any of Canons current crop sensor bodies - it's newer!  But, only until the 7DII or 70D is released.

I agree with the latter, and in the former it just sounds like nikonenvy...the grass is always greener on the other side where nikons poop gold and pee diamonds...lol
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #200 on: June 17, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »
how often do you do shots like this?  and, at what time of day?  There is the option of using a less shallow DOF.

Well, yes, but one point of putting 1700€ (€!) into a ff and a f2.8 lens is to shoot with shallow dof, if I need to crop for that or revert to a smaller aperture one ff advantage is lost.

Either way, if your doing extreme corner focusing, nothing out there other than shooting in live view and manual focusing will get you there because as far as I know, there is no such camera that has AF points in the extreme corners--

Please not: I wasn't talking of the extreme corners, of course not, but simple *near* the edge of the frame, say 3/4 to the side or corners... and here the real 5d2/6d vs 5d3 af spread tells the whole story. I suppose the crammed af points are good for tracking though, that's when the 40d/50d/60d-style compeletely fails vs. 7d.

The lack of a proper joystick is also a terrible loss, as the directional pad is mushy as all hell and imprecise.

My 2ct: You don't need a joystick for 9 or 11 af points, you can easily select them with the multicontroller.

What the 40/50D does well at least is how the middle points on the diagonals are located spot on in the intersections for rule of thirds and that is after all where a good amount of shots will want the focus

+1, that's one thing I like about my 60d's af points, I often use the diagonals for macro shooting.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2013, 01:01:21 PM »
Actually Neuro, that last image that shows the autofocus spread that looks so small and narrow, is the one I was referring to as being incorrect.  Frankly both of those are incorrect.  Just pick up a 6D and do a side by side comparison.  True the viewfinder is not 100%, but in reality it is very close to 100%.  The spread of the AF array is nowhere near as small as that second image.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2013, 01:01:21 PM »

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 18, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »
Actually Neuro, that last image that shows the autofocus spread that looks so small and narrow, is the one I was referring to as being incorrect.  Frankly both of those are incorrect.  Just pick up a 6D and do a side by side comparison.  True the viewfinder is not 100%, but in reality it is very close to 100%.  The spread of the AF array is nowhere near as small as that second image.

I dunno, looks reasonably close to me; closer than the former anyway.  And for the record, I'm a proud 6D owner.  I love the camera and after several months of ownership I'm positive it was the right choice for me (over a 5d3).  I just wish the spread was larger.  In fact, while we're all bitching about what we want, just give me this:

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »

I dunno, looks reasonably close to me; closer than the former anyway.  And for the record, I'm a proud 6D owner.  I love the camera and after several months of ownership I'm positive it was the right choice for me (over a 5d3).  I just wish the spread was larger.  In fact, while we're all bitching about what we want, just give me this:

+1 ... My thoughts exactly about the placement of the AF points.
Light is language!

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2013, 01:40:16 PM »

The one thing I've learnt with photography is that close is never close enough. The spread of the array is not that small but not particularly larger either.

Carl ... how are you getting on with the outer focus points in low light. Mine just seem to go bonkers so I'm left to focus recompose using the center focus point.
Light is language!

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 18, 2013, 02:04:27 PM »
 :o 14 pages......
Let me try my way:
1) Honda civic is a great car
2) In heavy bumper to bumper traffic civic moves as fast as Ferrari
3) Civic has state of the art fuel efficient engine
3) Civic has more boot space than Ferrari
4) You can commute to work with civic happily without a hitch
5) Ferrari is traffic ticket magnet, civic gets by without attracting attention
Logical conclusion on lines of arguments here: I am proud owner of Civic and its far better car than Ferrari

Plenty of people were happy and have got by with even manual focusing or 5DII autofocus.......

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:07:16 PM by comsense »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #206 on: June 18, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »

If you put the outer points there is would give new meaning to the phrase:

"My outer focus points are useless in low light"   ;)

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2013, 02:21:54 PM »

I’m sure there’s an analogy in there somewhere between Civic owners who think something on their car is state of the art, and camera owners who frequent camera forums.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2013, 02:21:54 PM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 18, 2013, 02:56:23 PM »
Maybe I am just thinking about the 6d's AF from a different place, because I also have a 5d3 - I can use the 6d up to the point where the mk3 has to take over (my 6d can be the machete and the mk3 is the scalpel!)

Either way, I am happy with the purchase!  :)

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 18, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »

I’m sure there’s an analogy in there somewhere between Civic owners who think something on their car is state of the art, and camera owners who frequent camera forums.
Pls don't be confused with power (aka muscle), torque or acceleration,. Most entry level cars these days (if not all) have advanced design and technology for basic engine fuel efficiency. You can ask Prof. Google if you want to know more...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #209 on: June 18, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »