Gear Talk > Software & Accessories

Tripod Legs for Manfrotto 393 Gimbal Head

(1/3) > >>

stuDoc:
Just nabbed a used Manfrotto 393 Heavy Duty Gimbal Head for about $75 shipped. I plan to use it for raptors/nature with a gripped 7D + 400/5.6 lens. I realize that for this setup the gimbal is probably overkill, but I intend to buy/rent the 300mm 2.8L IS II + TCs in the future and figured I'd get some practice in the meantime. 

I need advice on a decent pair of legs to match with the gimbal head that can support a modestly heavy setup. I'd prefer either center-columnless or removable center column, but cannot afford the Gitzo/Feisol/RRS pricepoint.  Are there any options from Manfrotto or Induro under $200 that you would suggest?

TrumpetPower!:
I'm a huge fan of the Manfrotto 3021BPRO legs. Huge, huge fan.

I've also got the replacement model, the 055XPROB...but, honestly, I only use it when I need two tripods at the same time. Otherwise, I'm always grabbing the original.

It's not the lightest tripod in the world, but it's not excessively heavy. It's amazingly configurable, and as steady as you're going to get in a portable tripod.

And it's well within your price range.

Cheers,

b&

P.S. It'll hold your gear and then some. I regularly use mine with a gripped 5DIII hanging off a 400 f/2.8 attached to a Wimberley head. Solid as a rock. Once you get the rig balanced, the lightest touch positions the camera and it just stays wherever you point it. b&

Rienzphotoz:

--- Quote from: TrumpetPower! on March 25, 2013, 11:46:49 PM ---I'm a huge fan of the Manfrotto 3021BPRO legs. Huge, huge fan.

I've also got the replacement model, the 055XPROB...but, honestly, I only use it when I need two tripods at the same time. Otherwise, I'm always grabbing the original.

It's not the lightest tripod in the world, but it's not excessively heavy. It's amazingly configurable, and as steady as you're going to get in a portable tripod.

And it's well within your price range.

Cheers,

b&

P.S. It'll hold your gear and then some. I regularly use mine with a gripped 5DIII hanging off a 400 f/2.8 attached to a Wimberley head. Solid as a rock. Once you get the rig balanced, the lightest touch positions the camera and it just stays wherever you point it. b&

--- End quote ---
Are you referring to 055XPROB?

TrumpetPower!:

--- Quote from: Rienzphotoz on March 26, 2013, 12:45:05 AM ---Are you referring to 055XPROB?

--- End quote ---

Either. The ergonomics are different between the two, but the basic build is the same.

I much prefer the ergonomics of the 3021BPRO, especially the fact that I can quickly completely remove the center post, making it really easy to basically convert it into a tabletop tripod. I seem to remember having better options for hanging a weight off of the 3021BPRO for additional stabilization, but I wouldn't swear to it.

But both will support the heaviest of loads equally (very) well.

Cheers,

b&

Rienzphotoz:

--- Quote from: TrumpetPower! on March 26, 2013, 01:07:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: Rienzphotoz on March 26, 2013, 12:45:05 AM ---Are you referring to 055XPROB?

--- End quote ---

Either. The ergonomics are different between the two, but the basic build is the same.

I much prefer the ergonomics of the 3021BPRO, especially the fact that I can quickly completely remove the center post, making it really easy to basically convert it into a tabletop tripod. I seem to remember having better options for hanging a weight off of the 3021BPRO for additional stabilization, but I wouldn't swear to it.

But both will support the heaviest of loads equally (very) well.

Cheers,

b&

--- End quote ---
The reason I asked that question was bcoz I use 055XPROB but it is build to handle only up to 15.4lbs (7kg) load ... but the 393 Gimbal Head is built to carry up to 44lbs (20 kg), so isn't that kinda mismatch? Ideally one would want to buy a tripod and head with identical or similar load capacities.
Of course, I have to admit that I don't know the load capacity of 3021BPRO
Regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version