November 27, 2014, 03:59:45 PM

Author Topic: Speeding AF point selection on 5d Mark III  (Read 4280 times)

Hussein

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Logo Design
Re: Speeding AF point selection on 5d Mark III
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 10:25:01 PM »
You can program the quick selection dial to quickly move thru the points by rotating the dial right or left. It's the first thing i did when i got the camera.

When you do this, do you sometimes want to apply exposure compensation but move the AF points instead?  And vise versa?

Or are you reassigning EC too?

When you shoot Raw, you do not need to worry much about exposure compensation. I feel the selection dial is more suited for that purpose.  The multi-controller is just too slow for changing points. Selection dial is the fastest way to do it, quick/easy access, and it feels right. No other way around it.

I disagree.  You do need to worry some about EC, even if you shoot RAW.  Much better to overexpose a bit in higher ISO scenes, than to shoot a tad too dark and try to raise exposure in post.  The latter is much worse. 

White balance I'll bend on, but getting proper exposure, even shooting RAW, is more important.  For instance, you can introduce a lot more noise to a RAW file than is necessary if you don't get EC correct.

I think you're missing the point. I'm assuming you get close to good exposure. I did not say because you shoot raw, you can get away with bad exposure. If you are 2 stops away then you need to go back to photography 101. What are you suggesting that he does. It's either use the selection dial for AF point selection or exposure.
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 70-200mm 2.8 II, 135mm f2, 40mm 2.8
Web Developer - Graphic Designer - Photographer
(PHP, jQuery, Javascript, HTML, HTML5, CSS/CSS3, Photoshop, Illustrator)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 10:25:01 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 11:04:42 PM »
You can program the quick selection dial to quickly move thru the points by rotating the dial right or left. It's the first thing i did when i got the camera.

When you do this, do you sometimes want to apply exposure compensation but move the AF points instead?  And vise versa?

Or are you reassigning EC too?

When you shoot Raw, you do not need to worry much about exposure compensation. I feel the selection dial is more suited for that purpose.  The multi-controller is just too slow for changing points. Selection dial is the fastest way to do it, quick/easy access, and it feels right. No other way around it.

I disagree.  You do need to worry some about EC, even if you shoot RAW.  Much better to overexpose a bit in higher ISO scenes, than to shoot a tad too dark and try to raise exposure in post.  The latter is much worse. 

White balance I'll bend on, but getting proper exposure, even shooting RAW, is more important.  For instance, you can introduce a lot more noise to a RAW file than is necessary if you don't get EC correct.

I think you're missing the point. I'm assuming you get close to good exposure. I did not say because you shoot raw, you can get away with bad exposure. If you are 2 stops away then you need to go back to photography 101. What are you suggesting that he does. It's either use the selection dial for AF point selection or exposure.

Ok.  I get what you're saying.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

dave_bass5

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 07:52:54 AM »
Maybe this is of help for you http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=13269.msg238526#msg238526 this does not describe how to cycle through the AF points the way you would like it to be but at least you can quickly switch between 2 different AF points.

Thanks!  I'm going to try this ASAP.  Wonderful to have an AF guide tailored specifically to the 5DIII!

Its also on page 324 of the manual that comes with the camera ;-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 07:52:54 AM »