September 20, 2014, 04:15:03 PM

Poll

What will you do if the expected 70D or 7D II don't have better sensor performance?

I'll still buy the next new crop body, 70D or 7D Mark II
6 (9.7%)
I'll wait until the next generation that actually delivers better sensor performance
24 (38.7%)
I'm tired of waiting, my next crop camera is not going to be a Canon
8 (12.9%)
I've already switched but will buy Canon again if they step up to the competition
2 (3.2%)
I've already switched and will not consider Canon again (for a long time)
1 (1.6%)
I'm going full-frame instead (whatever brand)
21 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Buy, Wait, or Switch? If Canon's next crop body releases don't improve sensor.  (Read 6117 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
I have a 60D now, that I use for shooting stills and video. The only real problem I have with it is high ISO noise when shooting low-lit conditions.

18MP is more than enough for me. I like the flip-screen, very handy with video. It runs Magic Lantern, not unimportant. I would like to go FF because of the better noise performance, but will lose the crop advantages like using the sweet-spot of FF lenses, low distortion and CA and all. AFMA would be nice, but I don't miss it now. I don't care for Wifi or GPS, or a popup flash.

The 6D just doesn't seem to be it for me at the moment, things like moire and lesser AF system compared to 60D hold me back. The 5DIII is outside my budget. I'm hoping the next APS-C body will show some improvement regarding noise. So i'm just hanging in there at the moment, waiting for what will come...

I have looked at Sony, and Nikon's D800, D600 and D7100 multiple times now. Having to sell my Canon lenses is the biggest bump, otherwise I probably would have switched already. If I would have to buy my first DSLR now, it would probably be a Nikon.
we are like twins,  but I  have  the  cash to upgrade to a5dmkiii.  I have to many L  lenses to switch brands at this point.   I'm locked in
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

learncanon

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Squeeze every ounce of IQ out of a camera before denouncing it. I have yet to find a canon camera that truly limits my creativity.

If a system limits you, switch because your capping your creative potential.

wise words

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Canon's line up is much more expensive than Nikon's and for those extra $ I expect to get better products.   In the next year or two I expect to replace 2-3 bodies, add 200-400 (if it ever comes out) and replace by my 500 with either a new 500 or move up to the 600

I would save considerably if I bought Nikon though I really don't want to switch.

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
If the new models don't offer an improved sensor, I'll keep using my trusty 7D until a new model comes out offering better performance in this area, and put the money towards lenses (Unless I can find the money to go FF, that's a while away yet!).
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
yawn....  S___ or get off the pot... With the 70D I would expect what I would expect out of a nearly 2 year long hiatus in this lineup, plenty of 7d trickle down in software... level, maybe hdr, flip screen, stuff like that...  maybe a few more goodies like that and evolutionary sensor improvement...  If you're expecting FF quality out of a crop sensor, dont kid yourself and you might as well jump ship now... but if you want a solid crop body that will do well for a $1000-1100 price point, it will serve you well. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Kathode-Ray

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Shoot, shoot, shoot!
    • View Profile
we are like twins,  but I  have  the  cash to upgrade to a5dmkiii.  I have to many L  lenses to switch brands at this point. I'm locked in

I guess we are not the only ones :-)

Maybe i'll just give the 6D a try and see with my own eyes how 'bad' it all is. It's obvious, to get really better noise performance I have to go FF. Switching sides is just too much of a hassle. I won't lose too much money on my lenses, since I bought all of them second hand. But it will take a lot of time to get it all sorted. Plus, i'd hate to lose Magic Lantern!

I think i'm going to wait another two months or so, until the tax return comes in. The 5DIII's price will have dropped a bit more by then. I can overcome the 60D noise problems for now by just bringing some more light if needed :-)
6D | M || M 18-55 | M 22 2.0 || T 24-70 2.8 VC | 24-105 | 70-200 4.0 IS || SY 14 2.8 | 35 2.0 IS | 50 1.4 | Σ 85 1.4 || Metz 58 AF-2 | Røde Videomic Pro | Magic Lantern

c.d.embrey

• 6D
    • View Profile
For me to even look at a 70D, it needs a Sony Quality sensor. I'd prefer an EVF over an optical viewfinder. It also needs Panasonic GH3 quality WiFi. Nikon focusing and Matrix Metering would also be great ;)  (that ain't never gonna happen).

I've never been a lens collector, if i don't use a lens at least once a week, I don't own it. Makes more sense to me to rent lenses I seldom use. So, for me, changing camera brands is no BFD :) Canon, I'm waiting to be impressed, but I doubt that I will :(

canon rumors FORUM

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
I think we are missing an option here. We need an option "I'll survive with my current gear thank you"...

I'd go with that. :)

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
I think we are missing an option here. We need an option "I'll survive with my current gear thank you"...

:)
I think that's implied by the second option but yes, there are those who will use what they have until they wear it out and then they'll shop for a replacement.
Taking that into consideration, I doubt many of those who use their cameras until they're worn out are paying a lot of attention to these debates.

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile

I think that's implied by the second option but yes, there are those who will use what they have until they wear it out and then they'll shop for a replacement.
Taking that into consideration, I doubt many of those who use their cameras until they're worn out are paying a lot of attention to these debates.
My principle in purchasing electronics is to buy what you need and skip two or three generations. For sensors I went from 300D to 5D3. My next purchase of the body is going to be several years down the road. Unless I inherit a million dollars (US or AUS) - fat chance of that happening!  :)

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
My principle in purchasing electronics is to buy what you need and skip two or three generations. For sensors I went from 300D to 5D3. My next purchase of the body is going to be several years down the road. Unless I inherit a million dollars (US or AUS) - fat chance of that happening!  :)
In other electronics, me too. I still have, and regularly use, a Sony XBR TV I bought in 1985 or 86.  I've only just retired a Sony SLV-R5UC S-VHS VCR after 20+ years of use.  It still works but I no longer feel compelled to record anything with it and I have a different deck for playback.
I'll keep some of my cameras like that too, i suspect my 40D will be buried with me;  I'm rather fond of it.  Or maybe I'll take the Konica, it doesn't need batteries. ;)
Other cameras and lenses will come and go, as suites my needs, since the technology is making for very compelling improvements quite often.  In other areas, I buy the best i can afford and take care of it and it generally serves me well for a very long time.
Appended:
I think I'm actually reaching that point with camera gear too.  I'm still on the lookout for something that fills a niche i might want to work in, but overall, the gear I have now is at a point where I could do almost everything i'd want to do with it and not suffer any serious compromises or work-arounds like I had to just a year or 2 ago.
I've noticed this when I go on a road trip lately.  I no longer have a trunk full of gear, each bag containing something best suited to a narrow range that optimized its performance.  I'm down to a much smaller, more manageable pack size and I'm not left facing compromises as often.
The only remaining niche I'd like to refill is a good, fast camera, like the 7D (but better), for working with longer FL lenses.
The 60D can work with my 100-400mm lens well enough for still shots but I'd like a better AF system for moving subjects, like the 7D's or better, with good hi ISO performance, like the 60D or 7D or better, but also with better low ISO, like the 6D at least, or preferably one of the competitor's cameras.  And I don't want to spend more than $2k for that ability.  When I do, I expect it may also replace some gear I'm using now, so I can improve hardware capabilities while also reducing the inventory I carry.
So that's my hope, a 7D2 or 70D that I can afford and that will also fill the speed AF and low light niche yet still provide better low ISO performance too.  Since I'm in no rush, I can wait to see what Canon, or others, offer later this year.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:35:54 PM by Aglet »

jdramirez

• View Profile

My path camera path began with point and shoots, a 1.3 mp Olympus ($75), to a 3.1 Fuji ($89), to a 7.1 Sony($150), then finally into SLR's with a Canon XS ($350) and then a 60D($800).  Now I'm looking at a 5dmkiii($2500 if I'm lucky)...

What I want to know is who put an exponential curve on my buying habits?
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
..What I want to know is who put an exponential curve on my buying habits?
HAHA!
that's pretty common
but sounds like you're also working with a large constant attached to the exponential part. :)
I was just explaining to the other half recently... if I sold all my camera gear, i could pay off the mortgage and then start over again..
I didn't like the way her eyebrows went up when I said that...  :-X

canon rumors FORUM

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
My main body is 5D MK III but I also use Nikon D7000 but plan to upgrade it to D7100 (when there is a sale/price drop OR when a decently priced refurbished one shows up) ... however, I would still buy the 7D MK II even if it has the current rumored specs.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM