Image & Video Galleries > Third Party Lenses (Sigma, Tamron, etc.)

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

(1/9) > >>

PXL_Pusher:
Now - I know this lens got a bad wrap with online reviews... and I'm not saying sigma has anything remotely acceptable in terms of quality control... but this lens has actually served me really well. Anyone have a positive experience with this lens? Here's one of my shots with the Sigma 50 to get it going...  :)

Shot almost wide open @ 1.6 on my old 50D 1/200 - Natural lighting

RSBJ:
I bought one a year and a half ago.  Absolutely love it.  It's my only non-L lens and it seems a little out of place when I put it back and it's surrounded by $$$$$ worth of Canon glass.  But so what, it's one of my favorite lenses and it's earned a spot on my shelf.

In fact I run a lens-rental business out of my home in Pittsburgh, and it is my most requested lens.  I gave one of my clients my 85 /f1.2 II for free, and she promptly returned it saying she'd rather pay for the Sigma!  The 85 is a great lens, but the focus is too slow for some people I guess.

Don't worry about it's rep.  If it's serving you well, who cares what anyone else thinks.

Mt Spokane Photography:
I haven't heard of any big problems with the lens, other than, as you say, quality control.  It is very good on crop cameras, but doesn't beat Canon on FF.

I have 4 supposedly EOS compatible Sigma lenses at home which I keep around to remind me that any Sigma lens may stop working on a given new model from Canon.  Expensive lesson.

JasonM:
I bought the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 about 3 months ago and love it on my 7D for portraits.  It doesn't focus very quickly but I knew that going in and my understanding is that's true of any very large aperture lens because the focusing elements are large and heavy.  Great lens and better value than the Canon 50mm f/1.2 and better IQ than the Canon 50mm f/1.4 according to the reviews I read in deciding which to go with.

liberace:
Also one of the few non-L lenses I own. Beats the Canon 50mm f/1.4 on 7D by my eyes. Lab tests may differ though. Only downside is that focus feels and sounds a little rough but it's not a significant problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version