I know this question has been asked many times already, but I would like to hear a new answer
I currently have a 7D and some (mostly L-) glass (8-15, 16-35, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8 macro, 24-70, 70-200f/2.8 IS, 2xIII). I am a hobbyist with enough money to spare to get these lenses 2nd hand (I was very happy to see that this in the end almost comes cheaper than getting lower-quality lenses AND gives you higher satisfaction... If you have enough money on the side
), and in some cases new.
I mostly take pics of moving things (sports, children, animals - BIF in particular), but also portraits and stills at times. I sell nothing, but I obviously like the highest possible quality.
So here is my question: Assume I have up to 10k that are just sitting on the bank and I want to invest into photo gear, what would you do with it?
Basically I have two problems:
I really want a 1DX. It is total overkill, and I would only use some of the features - I know that. But I really want the AF system (the 7D is somewhat limited for my use), I like the speed, the high ISO, FF, etc., etc.
And I had rented a 300 f/2.8 IS II a couple of times and was blown out of my pants by the IQ and focusing speed of this thing. I would never have expected a lens to be so good, and I finally understood why people are willing to pay that much for glass. And now I want one.
The solutions would be
1. get a 1DX and be happy with it. That leaves money to either buy a used 300 f/2.8 IS Mark I, or to rent the Mark II for several weeks.
2. get the lens and be happy with the 7D.
3. get a 5Diii, admit that there is absolutely no need for 12 fps, and add a 300 f/4.0
4. save some more money and get a 400 f/2.8 IS II
5. keep the gear I have and get my wife a diamond ring (that she would hate, actually)
I look forward to your opinions.