November 25, 2014, 03:45:04 PM

Author Topic: How to spend money  (Read 5797 times)

kyamon

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: How to spend money
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »
- 5D3
- Buy your wife something nice that she would actually like and enjoy (I'm sure you will get some payback out of it :P)
- then work on that 300 2.8 II

I think this is pretty much what I will do - rationally I knew that this is the thing to do, but I needed someone to tell me :)

Thanks everyone.
(luckily my wife and I are not yet at the point where we have to pay for each other ;) )

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »

robbymack

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 07:50:29 PM »
I'd be in for a 5diii and then a nice vacation preferably to a place with those little umbrellas in the drinks.

azezal

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 04:27:40 AM »
go medium format just need some more money for that but I believe you gonna love it
 phase one 645d

Thanks for the tip - I had actually bought a (2nd hand, of course) Mamiya RB67 at some point around 15 years ago, but never really had the time to learn how to properly use it... Not the camera for me (for the same reason I don't do much landscape photography. I am not all that patient ;) ) Beautiful device, though!

buy me medium format and I will be more supportive than your wife whenever you buy new gear ;)
Anonymity is a blessing,Ignorance is bliss

tomscott

• 5D Mark III
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 06:12:11 AM »
No your ok I have a pretty good job doing what I love ;)

I would agree with the above.

Travel is the only thing you can do that makes you richer. The camera you have with you is always the best camera.

In this case I would be against the 1Dx and the 300/400mm because they are both niche products and a pain in the ass to carry around. 5DMKIII and the 100-400 would make a better option but still a pain for traveling.

Really the usability of 300/400mm lenses are best suited for sports and birding/wildlife. If thats your main use then ye.

I think a good compromise is the 70-200mm F2.8 MKII With a 2x extender if you are traveling around. Thats what I use but the MKI non IS lens. IQ is not stellar but more than useable on my 5DMKIII

You would have a lot of money left over and still an incredible kit.

Apart from my Camera equipment my other passion is cars and BMW M cars are my poison otherwise I would have many more exotic lenses  :D

I guess more importantly the camera is always only as good as the person behind it... (and I am not a 1DX ;) )
But I actually found that the 300/2.8 is an incredible lens also for "macro" type photography (wild flowers, and bugs, mostly). Nevertheless, it certainly is not suitable as an always-on...  :D
I must say that since I have used the 300 I am always a bit disappointed when taking a picture with the 70-200 (IS, mark I). I guess I have tasted the honey and can not let go anymore... The funny thing is that when I first rented it my reasoning was simply to see what justifies that kind of price. I believed that it is sufficiently expensive (and expected a difference sufficiently small) to never really make me consider buying it... boy was I wrong!! Most people here probably know this, but I felt like the photos from the zoom lens were taken with an iPhone (well, not quite... but almost).

I can see how BMW M are poison (that tastes good)... In that respect I am happy since cars I would be passionate about (basically Mercedes from the early 70s and before, or electric sports cars...) are so totally out of range for me that I just stick with my 15 year old volvo :)

Ye but you give a pro a 300D and he will make incredible pictures with it. What I meant was the best camera is the one you have with you as in being comfortable carrying and using it. Getting the shot is more important IMO. everything is a compromise and just because you can afford to doesn't necessarily make it a good value purchase for you. But then again life is short so do it while you can on the flip side.

Many pros work in this way, unless you are a sports or wildlife shooter it is cheaper to rent for when you need. I understand that shooting with the white primes is better but comparing the zooms to point and shoots just isnt correct. Although the MKI 70-200mm IS is the least sharp of the 2.8 70-200mm zooms its still a quality piece of glass. But the 24-70 MKII and the 70-200 MKII have many a time been comparable or better than their prime equivalents.

Again same with the 1DX it is more than twice the price of the 5DMKIII but the 5DMKIII is 90% of the camera. 6fps is nothing to be sniffed at either, 14 is incredible but in most situations overkill. As a gear head and lover of new tech I completely understand the want but what about the need? IMO the 5DMKIII is the best all round camera ever made and it surprises me everyday. Again it is a lot more useable and easier to travel with than the beast 1DX.

As a pro weight is a huge concern, with having two bodies and lenses that cover a broad range lugging it around can juts be inconvenient. But that is my personal preference.

If the best is all you can have then go for it, but there are other options that will create a similar result but cost a weigh a lot less.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:14:00 AM by tomscott »
5D MKIII 40D 17-55mm F2.8 IS 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 IS L 100mm F2.8 IS L 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS L 50mm F1.8 2x Ex 580EX

kyamon

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 08:49:21 AM »

Ye but you give a pro a 300D and he will make incredible pictures with it. What I meant was the best camera is the one you have with you as in being comfortable carrying and using it. Getting the shot is more important IMO. everything is a compromise and just because you can afford to doesn't necessarily make it a good value purchase for you. But then again life is short so do it while you can on the flip side.

Many pros work in this way, unless you are a sports or wildlife shooter it is cheaper to rent for when you need. I understand that shooting with the white primes is better but comparing the zooms to point and shoots just isnt correct. Although the MKI 70-200mm IS is the least sharp of the 2.8 70-200mm zooms its still a quality piece of glass. But the 24-70 MKII and the 70-200 MKII have many a time been comparable or better than their prime equivalents.

Again same with the 1DX it is more than twice the price of the 5DMKIII but the 5DMKIII is 90% of the camera. 6fps is nothing to be sniffed at either, 14 is incredible but in most situations overkill. As a gear head and lover of new tech I completely understand the want but what about the need? IMO the 5DMKIII is the best all round camera ever made and it surprises me everyday. Again it is a lot more useable and easier to travel with than the beast 1DX.

As a pro weight is a huge concern, with having two bodies and lenses that cover a broad range lugging it around can juts be inconvenient. But that is my personal preference.

If the best is all you can have then go for it, but there are other options that will create a similar result but cost a weigh a lot less.

Yes, that is what I meant - I am fully aware that me with a 1DX would never shoot pictures as amazing as some pros do with much less sophisticated equipment. And it is certainly also true that not everything I could afford would make a value for me.

I guess my comparison with the iPhone was a bit silly - but I was trying to avoid the classic "VW vs. Ferrari"... But you get what I mean; when I first used the 300/2.8 (being the first time I was using one of the white primes) I really did feel that everything I had been using until then was cheap. But of course, "cheap" is at a very high level here. I started buying L-glass after having used a Tamron 28-300 (I think) on a 500D for a while and always being frustrated because the pictures never seemed focused. This is when I got the 24-70, and then also the 7D. While of course my qualities as a photographer did not change at all, it gave me way more pleasure looking at these pics than the one with the old combo. And then, when I mounted the 300/2.8 I had the impression that the difference in terms of sharpness and colors was again the same as with the first switch. That is basically what I meant when I mentioned the iPhone.

What you say about the 1DX and my lust for it is precisely it. I realize that the 5Diii delivers everything I need and then some, and the 10% extra from the 1DX would just be because it is cool. No, I don't need it. But then again, since I am not a pro I would not need any camera at all. I also still have a Canon F1 in a cabinet somewhere that I could use, and maybe the pictures would come out the same as with the 5Diii (even though I would have a hard time getting the pics developed, or taking any at ISO51k... ;) ). And for the same reason - pro vs. amateur - I can to some extent adjust what I take pictures of to the amount of gear that I want to lug around, rather than the other way around.

Anyway, these are just some of my thoughts/reasonings. I will get a 5Diii now and keep on renting the 300/2.8.
And maybe donate some to charity - after all, my wife also has all she needs :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 08:49:21 AM »