September 21, 2014, 10:30:41 PM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Test Camera [CR1]  (Read 37302 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Test Camera [CR1]
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2013, 04:17:28 PM »
As a 60D owner, looking to upgrade to a 7D2, the specs so far seem reasonable and I will probably get one.

"Reasonable" depends on the price, and knowing Canon ... no, as I 60d owner I'm not tempted to pay €1500+ for this, I'd rather get a ff 6d that uses the full potential of my ef lenses - and when the 7d2 is released the 6d will be at or below €1500.

And even if sounding like a broken record: DIGIC6 won't run Magic Lantern for some time (usual guess is 1 year+), so that alone excludes an early upgrade for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2013, 04:17:28 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2013, 05:37:22 PM »
Hmmh, hopefully CR1 for a reason. With the talk from Canon about moving into new territory and much upped price and so on hmm. No mention of new process sensor even for this? Perhaps the same old 7D AF??? How can the premiere APS-C beast be saddled with 7D AF??

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2013, 05:41:18 PM »
These specs are good. The 19 point AF in the 7D had no complaints from me, Infact that's still more cross type points than a d4! Everything is good here now just has to be around 1599$.

Yeah but compare the precision of 7D center point to that in the 5D3, it's a totally different ball game. Have you ever shot at f/2.8 and gotten literally 100 shots in a row, under indoor lighting, in focus with a 7D?? And compare them for soccer. The 7D is barely better than a 50D for soccer. The single points are too small and the assists on it are too large. It does AF super well for surfing though, every last bit as good as the 5D3 for that.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2013, 05:45:32 PM »
this is like a 180-degree u-turn from the previous rumors about the 7D Mark II being a huge leap forward rather than an incremental step up

Yes ... because the previous so called rumors were in fact wishlists.
1DX for cheap, basically. That's what these rumors were - and people got fired up.
Yeah, keep dreaming for that 1DX-like camera for $2500. LOL

I'm so excited to finally hear a realistic rumor.
Remember: once the leaks start, we are getting close to announcement.

Well there is competition though, if the D400 is like a mini 1DX then it may be Canon is dreaming.... dreaming that they had fired their marketing department and put the engineers back in more control.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »
It amazing how emotional people get with rumoured specs. Makes me laugh. Chill its a test camera and a rumour.

But what do you think the whole point of this forum is??? It's to go crazy and shoot bull over camera specs and rumors. You are laughing at the very playful fun and point of it all!  ;D

Gary Irwin

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2013, 06:24:10 PM »
Yup, those specs look almost as good as Nikon's D400, which will be announced in August and ship in September.  ;D

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2013, 06:52:53 PM »
These specs are good. The 19 point AF in the 7D had no complaints from me, Infact that's still more cross type points than a d4! Everything is good here now just has to be around 1599$.

Yeah but compare the precision of 7D center point to that in the 5D3, it's a totally different ball game. Have you ever shot at f/2.8 and gotten literally 100 shots in a row, under indoor lighting, in focus with a 7D?? And compare them for soccer. The 7D is barely better than a 50D for soccer. The single points are too small and the assists on it are too large. It does AF super well for surfing though, every last bit as good as the 5D3 for that.

I shot all my primes wide open and got tack sharp images in many situations with my 7D. I can't complain at all, it's AF system fulfilled all my needs and did so elegantly. It's not as good as the mk3 but the 7D AF was plenty for my needs. I think the center point on the 7D is a double cross type just like the MK3. Not sure but I think I read it somewhere.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2013, 06:52:53 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »
I think the center point on the 7D is a double cross type just like the MK3. Not sure but I think I read it somewhere.

It does.  But the 5DIII's AF does have better consistency, particularly with the most recent lenses.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »
I shot all my primes wide open and got tack sharp images in many situations with my 7D. I can't complain at all, it's AF system fulfilled all my needs and did so elegantly. It's not as good as the mk3 but the 7D AF was plenty for my needs. I think the center point on the 7D is a double cross type just like the MK3. Not sure but I think I read it somewhere.

It is double cross too but there is a lot more to a point than whether it is single, double or double cross. 5D3 non-cross points sure lock a lot better and faster than the non-cross in the 5D2 and the center double on the 5D3 has ultra-precision mode when used with some lenses and that really makes a difference.

garyknrd

• EOS M2
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2013, 08:24:50 PM »

It is double cross too but there is a lot more to a point than whether it is single, double or double cross. 5D3 non-cross points sure lock a lot better and faster than the non-cross in the 5D2 and the center double on the 5D3 has ultra-precision mode when used with some lenses and that really makes a difference.

+ 1000  I have stopped using the 7D because of the AF error. Compared to the other cameras.
Live between Thailand and Texas, USA

douglas459

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2013, 08:25:26 PM »
These specs are closer to the Nikon 7100, a $1200 camera body. I would suggest that these specs are probably for the 70D, not the 7DMK2. They will never be able to charge a premium for a 7DMK2 with these specs. Nikon has upped the expectations of what APS bodies should be and Canon will have to respond. If Canon stays with these specs Nikon will release a better APS-C camera and Canon will once more be well behind the curve.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2013, 08:34:12 PM »

All I'm saying is that the 7D AF is still very good. It's the lowest benchmark I hold for a semi professional canon AF system, which basically means that I will not shoot on a semi-pro camera with an AF system less than that.

I never had issues with any points on my 7D, they were all pretty consistent and delivered the goods. Moving up to the mk3 was easy as it was like shooting a better FF version of the 7D AF. If they implement the same AF in the 7Dii, I won't be disappointed but if they improve it, all is well.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2013, 08:34:28 PM »
Looking at the Canon line-up, the 7D will be the top of the APS-C line up.  I would hope that Canon would take the opportunity to build a great camera, something significantly ahead of the current model and the 60D and where they will take the 70D.

The big question is how close to the 1Dx will Canon take the 7D M2 both in features and price.  After all the 5D M3 started in the $3,000s - could the 7D M2 with great features be priced there?

Would you pay $3500 (or so) for a mini-1Dx in APS-C format?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2013, 08:34:28 PM »

sharky620ti

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2013, 08:46:44 PM »

Would you pay $3500 (or so) for a mini-1Dx in APS-C format?

Probably, if its got amazing low light performance and doesn't weigh as much as a 1DX...

... and if it can't meet those requirements, I'll just buy a 1DX and try to live with not having the extra reach of a 1.6 crop.

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2013, 08:58:43 PM »
It's just a test camera, a rumored spec list, etc. Wouldn't put much (if any) stock in it. That said, I admit to not being too excited. It comes down to what the price will be in the end.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2013, 08:58:43 PM »