October 02, 2014, 12:53:05 PM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Test Camera [CR1]  (Read 37820 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Test Camera [CR1]
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »
By the way, why would Canon create a camera thats a huge leap from the 5D Mk3, when the 5D Mk3 was released last year?

Also, back to pricing... why would they create a cheaper APS-C camera with better specs than the 5D Mk3? If you were a business man... and this is your business, would you think that this is a smart maneuver? Losing potential customers of FF?

When new technology is introduced, it is seldom a case of introducing it at the top of the line.... Canon is a conservative company and one of the halmarks of it's top cameras is stable, tried, and true.

When new sensor technology and/or focus systems are introduced, it will probably be much lower in the lineup... the 7D2 is a perfect candidate for this with it's position in the lineup and the timing. It will be what it will be.... the top APS-C camera. It does not compete with FF cameras (much). People who want FF want FF and very few are going to be tempted by APS-C. Even if it comes out with fantastic specs that beat the 5D3 ( rumour was ALMOST as good), what this will tell all the FF users is that the next upgrade of a FF camera will be substantially ahead of what they have now, and most will probably start saving thier pennies for the 5D4 or 6D2
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »

mkabi

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2013, 12:48:08 PM »
By the way, why would Canon create a camera thats a huge leap from the 5D Mk3, when the 5D Mk3 was released last year?

Also, back to pricing... why would they create a cheaper APS-C camera with better specs than the 5D Mk3? If you were a business man... and this is your business, would you think that this is a smart maneuver? Losing potential customers of FF?

When new technology is introduced, it is seldom a case of introducing it at the top of the line.... Canon is a conservative company and one of the halmarks of it's top cameras is stable, tried, and true.

When new sensor technology and/or focus systems are introduced, it will probably be much lower in the lineup... the 7D2 is a perfect candidate for this with it's position in the lineup and the timing. It will be what it will be.... the top APS-C camera. It does not compete with FF cameras (much). People who want FF want FF and very few are going to be tempted by APS-C. Even if it comes out with fantastic specs that beat the 5D3 ( rumour was ALMOST as good), what this will tell all the FF users is that the next upgrade of a FF camera will be substantially ahead of what they have now, and most will probably start saving thier pennies for the 5D4 or 6D2

But thats the thing... if you look at Canon (EOS) DSLR time line, chances are there isn't going to be a new 5D or 6D for another 3 to 4 years. Huge leaps and bounds over current models, will only render the current models obsolete.
Canon 7D - EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF - 20mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.0, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »

But thats the thing... if you look at Canon (EOS) DSLR time line, chances are there isn't going to be a new 5D or 6D for another 3 to 4 years. Huge leaps and bounds over current models, will only render the current models obsolete.
But if they are introducing some new magic technology, odds are it is already planned for what model get replaced when. It takes several years to introduce a new model and there has to be a plan. 2012 saw lots of FF activity. 2013 seems to be the year of 5 or more APS-C cameras ( T5i, 70D, 7D2, EOS-SL1, EOS-M whatever it's called).... I'll bet 2013 sees a lot of FF activity. If they can introduce/upgrade 5 APS-C cameras in a year, they can surely do 3 FF cameras
The best camera is the one in your hands

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2013, 03:48:04 PM »
The AF system is totally new and amazing compared to the 6D AF system.

No S___ Sherlock  ;D ;D ;D

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »

+1  Exactly!  the 7d and 7d2 have nothing to do with the 5d3, it's not comparing apples to apples... I agree, they attract whole different groups... in my case it's hard, I have both...  but I have each of them for different reasons.  The big items for me on the 5d3, I can't get on the 7d or most likely the 7d2 either... FF.

That which I love about my 7d can't be found on my 5d3!  fps, for instance... Anyway, I hope it's not a ho-hum upgrade!  ;)
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2013, 06:39:29 PM »
Yawn... Sigh... I just want to see some CR2 rumors about the 7D Mark II  :P
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

mkabi

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »

But if they are introducing some new magic technology, odds are it is already planned for what model get replaced when. It takes several years to introduce a new model and there has to be a plan. 2012 saw lots of FF activity. 2013 seems to be the year of 5 or more APS-C cameras ( T5i, 70D, 7D2, EOS-SL1, EOS-M whatever it's called).... I'll bet 2013 sees a lot of FF activity. If they can introduce/upgrade 5 APS-C cameras in a year, they can surely do 3 FF cameras

You said it yourself bros.... the top-of-the-line  stuff are tried, tested and true...
I'm pretty sure, they don't release FF cameras so often, because they don't want their customers to feel.... "awww man I wish I had waited a year to buy this camera versus the last one..."
Moreover, they know that not everyone has $3k to throw up on cameras...
But they know most people can afford to cough over close to 500-1k.... even yearly to change up their APS-C camera.... And it makes sense... if  you're patient... you can save $4000 over 4 years and buy a proper FF camera. Instead of changing up your camera on a yearly basis.

I don't know when we became a society of spenders... always wanting the newest and coolest gadgets.
If you're a true photographer or videographer, you don't depend on technology to create your work of art... you can use any technology and create a masterpiece.
Canon 7D - EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF - 20mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.0, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2013, 08:26:59 PM »
If this camera is better than the 5D Mk3, then it will cost more than the 5D Mk3.

If Canon EVER came up with a sensor that allowed an APS-C to be a HUGE LEAP from their newest FF, then they would shut down everything else and start building new FF cameras, buyers remorse of 1Dx and 5DIII owners be damned. And Canon engineers would be booking flights to Stockholm, and Nikon and Leica will focus solely on microscopy and I'd be selling everything to buy Canon shares!
None of the above is happening right now, so relax. Hopefully the new sensor will be sufficient to improve APS-C performance by 1-2 stops. That's all. FF will still rule IQ, sensitivity, etc. and no one who can afford an equivalent FF setup (that means appropriate super-telephotos for those who will immediately start clamoring about the APS-C "reach") will buy APS-C.

Canon may attempt to impress  us with some new solutions, but as long as they stay behind with theirs old sensor technology it is mostly cosmetic solutions compared to Sony/Aptina/Panasonic and others

I think the thread started with rumors about a new sensor technology in the 7DII. Either you believe it (and stop complaining about old sensor technology) or don't (since it's only a rumor) and move on with life (outside a rumor website).
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »
Canon may attempt to impress  us with some new solutions, but as long as they stay behind with theirs old sensor technology it is mostly cosmetic solutions compared to Sony/Aptina/Panasonic and others

Indeed. That's what Canon does - puts lipstick on pigs.  How do they manage to sell so many pigs?

Could it be Canon doesn't sell just pigs, but rather luaus with all the trimmings, and their luaus are just all-around better...bigger spread, tastier poi, and more skilled fire dancers?

No matter how much you only care about the pig, it's about more than just the pig.   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Jackson_Bill

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2013, 11:09:20 PM »

Could it be Canon doesn't sell just pigs, but rather luaus with all the trimmings, and their luaus are just all-around better...bigger spread, tastier poi, and more skilled fire dancers?

Did you just get back from Hawaii? :-)

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
Canon made a big splash by making the 5DII better than it's price(even the 1Ds III couldn't shoot video like the ol' 5D2).  But Canon probably felt that it hurt sales of the flagship in the long run.

It's very possible that they try to play the same trick with the 7DII(as they did for the 5D2).  I think it will be the new "best value" model.  And I think the WOW factor will be bigger than it was for the 5D3.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »
I think it will be the new "best value" model.  And I think the WOW factor will be bigger than it was for the 5D3.

I think currently "best value" and "wow factor" are mutually exclusive with Canon, it's either one or the other, but certainly not both at the same time. But still it's not impossible for Canon to learn from the 5d3 price or the 6d features, it's just that there is not the slightest indication yet.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2013, 10:54:39 PM »
if this is the first introduction of the new sensor tech it will be interesting, hopefully it is a large step up
21MP is good equates to nearly 54mp FF.

I wonder if it will close the IQ gap with current gen FF,
could be interesting

assuming it is an entirely new tech sensor... there is ALOT riding on this :D
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2013, 10:54:39 PM »

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »
Canon made a big splash by making the 5DII better than it's price(even the 1Ds III couldn't shoot video like the ol' 5D2).  But Canon probably felt that it hurt sales of the flagship in the long run.

It's very possible that they try to play the same trick with the 7DII(as they did for the 5D2).  I think it will be the new "best value" model.  And I think the WOW factor will be bigger than it was for the 5D3.
That would be nice! 8)
Ken

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2013, 01:02:33 PM »

Indeed. That's what Canon does - puts lipstick on pigs.  How do they manage to sell so many pigs?

No matter how much you only care about the pig, it's about more than just the pig.   ::)
Exactly, it's about the lipstick too!
Ken

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2013, 01:02:33 PM »