Image & Video Galleries > Abstract

Transit of Mercury - Hydrogen Alpha

(1/4) > >>

GuyF:
Note the 5D3 has enough dynamic range to pick out surface detail on Mercury. Take that, Nikon owners. Actually, on reflection, take that, NASA  8).

(Disclaimer: this may or may not be an actual representation...or not...maybe....)

sleepnever:
Ok, I'l bite. =) What exactly are those of us not informed on "Transit of Mercury - Hydrogen Alpha" looking at and what gear did you shoot this with on the 5D3?

lilmsmaggie:

--- Quote from: sleepnever on March 28, 2013, 08:43:39 AM ---Ok, I'l bite. =) What exactly are those of us not informed on "Transit of Mercury - Hydrogen Alpha" looking at and what gear did you shoot this with on the 5D3?

--- End quote ---

Transit means its path or crossing past the sun's surface as viewed from space.  Basically you're observing Mercury's orbital path around the sun.

Hydrogen alpha is a band of red light in the electromagnetic spectrum.  Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and is the brightest wavelength that can be detected.  In this case, the OP is probably using a Hydrogen alpha filter to isolate the wavelength of Hydrogen.

I'd be interested in what equipment was used as well.

Rienzphotoz:
 ??? ??? ???

polarhannes:

--- Quote from: GuyF on March 28, 2013, 07:58:14 AM ---(Disclaimer: this may or may not be an actual representation...or not...maybe....)

--- End quote ---

To me it looks like a slightly blurred macro picture of an illuminated piece of amber.

No matter what it is, I like the picture!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version