Image & Video Galleries > Abstract

Transit of Mercury - Hydrogen Alpha

<< < (3/4) > >>

woollybear:
Whoa...sorry about that...but this NOT my photo.  I would have given attribution but I have found at least four sites/photographers claiming the photo as theirs.  Near as I can tell the real photographer is Alan Friedman.

Rienzphotoz:

--- Quote from: woollybear on March 28, 2013, 01:37:23 PM ---Whoa...sorry about that...but this NOT my photo.  I would have given attribution but I have found at least four sites/photographers claiming the photo as theirs.  Near as I can tell the real photographer is Alan Friedman.

--- End quote ---
OK, I'm taking my WOW back ... just kidding, thanks for sharing and for clarifying. Peace

GuyF:
So what's in the shot?

Clearly it isn't a pic of Mercury - it would be a complete silhouette against the sun. Also if it were an astrophoto I wouldn't post in Abstract (along with the small disclaimer)!

I was cleaning out a jam jar with hot water and saw neat patterns in the dissolving jam as I swished the water around. It looked a bit interesting and I thought there must be a shot in there somewhere. Out comes the Tamron 90mm macro and the shot you see is an extreme crop to home in on an airbubble (hence you can see through it). Messing about in Photoshop with levels and colour temperature really amped up the oranges and yellows. The more I messed about with it, the more I thought it looked a bit like the surface of the sun and the bubble suddenly became "Transit of Mercury".

The shot that woollybear posted is excellent - just google "hydrogen alpha images" for more terrific images.

Oh, in case you're wondering, it was strawberry jam (very nice on a toasted bagel  :D).

Rienzphotoz:

--- Quote from: GuyF on March 29, 2013, 05:17:53 AM ---the more I thought it looked a bit like the surface of the sun and the bubble suddenly became "Transit of Mercury".

--- End quote ---
I think you are the only one who thinks that ::)
Peace

bjd:

--- Quote from: woollybear on March 28, 2013, 01:37:23 PM ---Whoa...sorry about that...but this NOT my photo.  I would have given attribution but I have found at least four sites/photographers claiming the photo as theirs.  Near as I can tell the real photographer is Alan Friedman.

--- End quote ---
Yep, a Fine Art print of it costs 950$. I'm hoping its possible to get a poster of it maybe?
I emailed Alan, lets see how he answers.

Cheers Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version