Image & Video Galleries > Abstract

Transit of Mercury - Hydrogen Alpha

<< < (2/4) > >>

lilmsmaggie:

--- Quote from: polarhannes on March 28, 2013, 09:14:30 AM ---
--- Quote from: GuyF on March 28, 2013, 07:58:14 AM ---(Disclaimer: this may or may not be an actual representation...or not...maybe....)

--- End quote ---

To me it looks like a slightly blurred macro picture of an illuminated piece of amber.

No matter what it is, I like the picture!  :)

--- End quote ---

The "blurred picture of an illuminated piece of amber" in this case is actually the outer surface (photosphere) of the sun in the background. 

Mercury is that small dark sphere in the lower left.

woollybear:
Doesn't look real to me.  Here is one of venus transiting the sun in the summer.  FWIW...none of us will see this happen again.  Its not do to occur again in our lifetimes.

lilmsmaggie:

--- Quote from: woollybear on March 28, 2013, 10:01:44 AM ---Doesn't look real to me.  Here is one of venus transiting the sun in the summer.  FWIW...none of us will see this happen again.  Its not do to occur again in our lifetimes.

--- End quote ---

You have a point woollybear -- it does look a bit suspicious.  Maybe a crop from an image taken with a 6" refractor?   Maybe not.  OP has yet to pipe up with any specifics.

BTW - nice shot of Venus's transit. 

The last transit of Mercury occurred on November 8, 9 2006.  The next transit of Mercury is due to occur on 
May 9, 2016.

bjd:

--- Quote from: woollybear on March 28, 2013, 10:01:44 AM ---Doesn't look real to me.  Here is one of venus transiting the sun in the summer.  FWIW...none of us will see this happen again.  Its not do to occur again in our lifetimes.

--- End quote ---

Hi Woollybear, that is a fabulous shot. Any chance of getting hold of a high quality version of it?

Cheers Brian

Rienzphotoz:

--- End quote ---
wow! that is an AWESOME pic ... I remember attempting a shot at it but it is nowhere near as spectacular as yours ... great job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version