September 18, 2014, 06:05:41 AM

Author Topic: USB Dock of Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM  (Read 1875 times)

polarhannes

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
USB Dock of Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
« on: March 28, 2013, 08:43:42 AM »
Hi,

I read that the new Sigma Art-Line 35mm F1.4 DG HSM is delivered with a software which would allow to setup the AF similar to AFMA - how does this exactly work?
Is it better / worse compared to just using the camera's AFMA?
Does that USB dock software for the Sigma work with softwares like Reikan FoCal?

I'd be glad to hear your experiences and knowledge.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

canon rumors FORUM

USB Dock of Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
« on: March 28, 2013, 08:43:42 AM »

Leejo

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Still relearning the same things...
    • View Profile
Re: USB Dock of Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 10:45:01 AM »
I am not sure about the software - though that must be available somewhere.
You would need the Sigma connecting cable to attach to the port.
As far as I know the in camera AFMA only works with camera identified lenses - that means primarily Canon lenses.
This is Sigma's way to provide a way around that and of course to possibly cover the quality control problems that they have with the wider lenses.
(I am happy with my Sigma 8-16, but that starts at f3.5....)
Canon 7D

polarhannes

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 01:14:01 PM »
As far as I know (I read that on another topic here on CR) the Sigma lens identifies itself as a Canon lens but without a proper serial number.
I also read here that the Canon AFMA settings would still work - why the USB dock then?
That is where my confusion is coming from... Unfortunately I was unable to find any Sigma lens manual.

Source for what was written above: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=4824.msg97322#msg97322
"I just AFMA'd three third party lenses on my 5D III. The Sigma 50mm Macro, Sigma 105mm OS Macro and Tokina 16-28 were all able to be setup for AFMA on my 5D III. The 5D III was not able to determine the serial number of these lenses of course. Best regards, Bryan"
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 04:07:08 PM »
So far, it doesn't exist.  Its been delayed.

There are a number of Canon Cameras that do not have AFMA, and users must sent their lens to Sigma to be adjusted, and hope its accurate on their camera.  This is bad for everyone.  If the lens is adjusted to the actual body, its a much better situation.  If you have multiple bodies with no AFMA, you will have to average things out or get all the bodies adjusted at Canon.

polarhannes

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 09:49:02 PM »
I see, so the Sigma USB dock enables you to AFMA non-AFMA bodies, but you can just use the regular AFMA on the 5d3 and forget about Sigma's solution.
Thanks! :-)

TexasBadger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:46:56 PM »
As I understood it, the dock is to update the lens firmware.
5DC, 5D3, Elan7, G12, 28 1.8, 50 1.8 II, 85 1.8 USM, 135 2.0 L, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 L, 560 EX, 580 EX II (2) --- all Canon.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 12:08:25 AM »
As I understood it, the dock is to update the lens firmware.

This is my understanding also.

For that reason, I'm a little concerned about buying their new 35mm f/1.4 right now. If the dock is not available to upgrade firmware in the lens, what happens to AF when Canon updates my 5D3 firmware?

Am I then hanging out there with a lens that can't be used? Is Sigma then providing lens update firmware that goes through my camera -- making my camera their lens dock?

If anyone has credible information about this, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 12:08:25 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 12:17:42 AM »
I see, so the Sigma USB dock enables you to AFMA non-AFMA bodies, but you can just use the regular AFMA on the 5d3 and forget about Sigma's solution.
Thanks! :-)
No, it adjusts the lens.  Since not all bodies are identical, the best match will come with the body that you set the lens to match.

Canon's AFMA adjusts a body, and it does not care which brand of lens is on it, as long as the lens is a autofocus lens that works on Canon.

This means you can tweak a Sigma lens and still fine tune it on a Canon body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 12:17:42 AM »