What can we "fairly" expect Canon to deliver?
If we assume that the pricepoint is ~$2000-$2200 body at intro but pre-destined to slide to the $1700-1800 after the initial rush...sounds low I know, but just watch (I can't entertain any scenario where this is over $2400 at intro), this is what I expect:
1) Higher ISO performance: 1 or 2 stops better from current version.
2) Same or similar MP ... 18 to 21. I would lean toward 18MP.
3) Same or similar number of AF points, sensitivity/ AF algorithims updated.
4) Same or similar fps (8 to 10?)
5) Single card possibly SD
6) Digic 5 or 5-plus, and a possibility of dual 5, probably more buffer
7) Wi-fi/GPS (not sure, 50/50 chance).
And you say, "So many 'same' or 'similar'!?"...and I say that these changes will be "qualitative" rather than than in "numbers". Like I said before, they may throw in a surprising bone here and there, but these are likely paltry.
Even if they mostly deliver on the ISO, it would be a highly deserving update. It is likely to be a better performing camera, not a better "spec"-ed camera.