August 27, 2014, 09:28:01 AM

Poll

What one feature would you like to see in 7DII that is not in CR1 spec?

More AF points
63 (36.2%)
2 Card Slots
61 (35.1%)
Higher MP
14 (8%)
Higher FPS
5 (2.9%)
Higher ISO
31 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: What is missing from the 7DII specs  (Read 10852 times)

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: What is missing from the 7DII specs
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 12:21:55 AM »
Is this the 7DII? I doubt it. Relax. The good stuff is coming....

-PW

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 12:27:12 AM »
I would ask for less noise in my RAW images, so maybe a better sensor design?

As for autofocus, I don't care too much how many points there are, I just want it to be accurate, like my 5D3. 

My poor 7D just sits on the shelf since I got the 5D3, due to these two factors.
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 12:40:29 AM »
nothing you should buy something else if it isn't right for you

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 01:51:27 AM »
I wonder who vote for higher ISO ( if the native is 100 - 25600 and can be expanded to 100k) ???:D

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 02:28:30 AM »
I wonder who vote for higher ISO ( if the native is 100 - 25600 and can be expanded to 100k) ???:D

Higher ISO is possible but at the expense of Resolution.

Jan van Holten

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • www.natuurfotografiejan.nl
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2013, 07:09:30 AM »
More AF points would be welcome, but even more important, make it a wider AF -area then on the 1DX.
That is my complain about the 1DX, I would love the AF-area more stretched. Imagine this area like a rectangle, then I'am  missing some points in the outer corners. That is based on my experience in the field.

The 1D IV and 7D are about tied for the broadest spread in both dimensions (relative to frame size). The 1D X has the same lateral spread as the 1D IV and 7D, and slightly less spread in the vertical dimension (about half a row shorter).

Basically, the 1D X is giving nearly the same spread (only the two points at the top/bottom of the 7D center column extend beyond the 1D X coverage), both have a point at the 'rule of thirds' intersections, and the 1D X rectangle's corners extend beyond the 7D's coverage, with the 1D X covering a larger area with a far more dense array.

I,ve just returned from a trip to Kamchatka, Russia about three weeks ago. I was there to photograph the mighty Stellers Eagle. Often I place the subject in the upper part of the image and then I, am missing the row on top. Especially when using the AI-servo mode and a moving subject. I all the time select a focuspoint wich is best suitable for the composition. With the MARK4 the problem was less often there, but I'll like the much better quality of the 1DX. And I,ll try to avoid cropping as much as possible. I know I,am a bit cocky, but making the picture without optimizing it by cropping is the sport for me. It,s a bit like the Russians do, why make it easy when one can do it also in a difficult way????/

RJ_IN_OZ

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2013, 08:00:04 AM »
They've got to seriously step up with the noise control on the 7Dii. I shoot a 7D and wont take it below ISO800 unless I really have to, ISO1600 starts to look dodgy and doesnt really allow aggressive post production.  8fps is as much as you really want unless you just want to fill up hard-drives.

I'm looking for some more AF points, although the 7D does have a good spread across the viewfinder an even better spread and increased number would allow more selective choice of a single point AF.

ISO 50 is a must have too. Too often i'm at f1.2 and having to think about an ND filter.

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 08:11:14 AM »
Lots of discussion about this spec.  WOndering how the camera (granted this is a rumor and the camera is not real) could be improved.

I undecided between more AF Points and a second card slot.  Thus I am allowing 2 votes per person (plus I live outside Chicago were everyone votes early and votes often).

If those specs will be materialized the things that ''I will miss'' are:

1. (and most important) 2 card slots ( 1 SD and 1 CF)
2. integrated battery grip ( like 1D series)
3. APS-H sensor  :P

Warninglabel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Site
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2013, 08:33:16 AM »
As cell phone eat away sales from the low end of cameras, (Camera anywhere everywhere) and DSLR's not really improving over 4 years, other then Nikon, but they were far behind before the D800.  I ready can't see why their's so little advancement in these cameras other then ISO and tracking. It's almost like they are trying to squeeze as must $$$ out of us, until they figure out the next big thing.  I think Nikon is being more aggressive, if they really do have a cell phone camera coming out and it's good. It will help there top tier sales also and make them even more household name.
5D Mark III, 7D, 70mm-200mm f/2.8L IS II Speedlite 600EX-RT 24mm - 70mm f/2.8 II
Stop Action Sports | My Google + | Christopher Mitchell Photography

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 08:38:18 AM »
19 AF points?? No no no. We need some more!! And only one CF card slot? What the hell? Where's the SD slot like the 5D 3? And what was wrong with the weather sealing in the 7D?

I'd like to see a faster x sync speed and much better all round ISO performance. Especially ISO 100. It should be cleaner. I think wifi is more useful to me than gps. Now can you tether wirelessly to your laptop?? That would be cool.

Not that I was waiting for a 7D 2 as I only bought my 7D last year. No reason to upgrade really. The 6D got a lot of flak when we first heard about it and it turned out alrite. Maybe this will grow on us but theres nothin really ground breaking or exciting that has me jumping up and down with impatience.

5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

iP337

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2013, 09:08:16 AM »
19 AF points?? No no no. We need some more!! And only one CF card slot? What the hell? Where's the SD slot like the 5D 3? And what was wrong with the weather sealing in the 7D?

I'd like to see a faster x sync speed and much better all round ISO performance. Especially ISO 100. It should be cleaner. I think wifi is more useful to me than gps. Now can you tether wirelessly to your laptop?? That would be cool.

Not that I was waiting for a 7D 2 as I only bought my 7D last year. No reason to upgrade really. The 6D got a lot of flak when we first heard about it and it turned out alrite. Maybe this will grow on us but theres nothin really ground breaking or exciting that has me jumping up and down with impatience.

Difference is the 6D had a neat low-light performance trick, what does this have? ...Oh wait 10fps is a neat trick, but only if it has the buffer and auto focus to keep up. 

Hmmm the 6D is crap except for it's low-light, which is almost but not as good as the 1Dx. 
These supposed 7D2 specs are crap except for the 10fps burst rate, which is also almost but not as good as the 1Dx.
Gasp! Could these specs be more real then we though?!!
No way! This must be an 8D or sumthin...

More AF points would be welcome, but even more important, make it a wider AF -area then on the 1DX.
That is my complain about the 1DX, I would love the AF-area more stretched. Imagine this area like a rectangle, then I'am  missing some points in the outer corners. That is based on my experience in the field.

The 1D IV and 7D are about tied for the broadest spread in both dimensions (relative to frame size). The 1D X has the same lateral spread as the 1D IV and 7D, and slightly less spread in the vertical dimension (about half a row shorter).

Basically, the 1D X is giving nearly the same spread (only the two points at the top/bottom of the 7D center column extend beyond the 1D X coverage), both have a point at the 'rule of thirds' intersections, and the 1D X rectangle's corners extend beyond the 7D's coverage, with the 1D X covering a larger area with a far more dense array.

I,ve just returned from a trip to Kamchatka, Russia about three weeks ago. I was there to photograph the mighty Stellers Eagle. Often I place the subject in the upper part of the image and then I, am missing the row on top. Especially when using the AI-servo mode and a moving subject. I all the time select a focuspoint wich is best suitable for the composition. With the MARK4 the problem was less often there, but I'll like the much better quality of the 1DX. And I,ll try to avoid cropping as much as possible. I know I,am a bit cocky, but making the picture without optimizing it by cropping is the sport for me. It,s a bit like the Russians do, why make it easy when one can do it also in a difficult way????/

+1 to Jan van, I find a wider spread of cross-type points on the 7D easier to compose with (I use the 5D3 with only cross-type points on)

To the topic; I want 22.3mp so it can 3x3 pixel bind to 1080p with less morie like the 5D3 does, I don't see a point to push the sensor this far without hitting that sweet spot.  Might as well leave them at 18, only a very small niche of pixel peepers would notice.

Other then that I expect better signal to noise ratios, something like the new Nikon/Toshiba APS-Cs but at least over a stop better than the 7D, right now I won't go over 1250 on my 7D but I'm ok pushing an NEX-5n to 1600, this just feels wrong as one of them cost double the other, now the GH3 is even better at 1600 (barely though).  7D2 (and 70D) NEEDS a clean 1600 and useable 3200 because there is no speed booster coming to save the EF mount and Nikon is right on the heals of a useable 3200.

I'm happy with everything else.

Kristofgss

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2013, 09:41:01 AM »
At 10FPS, 2 Card slots would come in handy.

I am happy with my 7D so I won't really be disappointed if they don't significantly upgrade the 7DII.
I was thinking the same, looking at these specs, there really seems no reason to upgrade from a 7D to a 7 DII.

What I'd like:
- 2 card slots (one to store my pictures, one to switch to when my mum ask me to show what's on it :)
- in-camera HDR

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 09:42:26 AM »
A sense of perspective. :o

There are multiple test models in the field.  Which means this model has no more than a 1 in however many test models chance of being the one.  Also the rumor is a CR1 which means that it may be no better than a CR0.

Canon will give us what they deem to be the best for their pocketbook and maybe a best mix of what their market research shows that the target audience wants.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

Ladislav

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 09:49:01 AM »
Another sci-fi like thread? My opinion:

The only missing information for the rumored spec was a price tag. How much do you want to pay for 7DII? The feature set will place the camera in current Canon's line up. If the camera will be incremental update specialized for wildlife and sport photographers with better IQ, better ISO processing and better AF (that doesn't necessary mean more AF points) or even better FPS (all compared to 7D) we can hope for price around 6D (another specialized camera).

Adding more features will only make the camera more expensive. Canon still needs to make FF as interesting upgrade because going with FF means for sport and wildlife photographers bigger investments into glass with longer focal lengths and Canon wants you to make these investments. So if Canon decides to put features from 5D3 to crop camera and make it awesome for sport, wildlife, stills, portraits, landscape, events, video and whatever else, it only means that camera will be far more expensive than 5D3 (guess something like $4k+) with still somehow worse IQ (I don't think they will beat technical advantage of FF sensor). 

Of course there are features which makes sense for pro camera of any price tag - for example two card slots but we had only rumor about "some" test camera - not a real prototype of 7DII. Let's wait for the real announcement.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 10:01:13 AM by Ladislav »
6D | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 70-300 L IS | 430 EX II | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 + MH054M0-Q2

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2013, 10:09:42 AM »
Often I place the subject in the upper part of the image and then I, am missing the row on top. Especially when using the AI-servo mode and a moving subject. I all the time select a focuspoint wich is best suitable for the composition.

Below are the two AF point arrays scaled to the relative frame size and superimposed.  There's no 'missing row' on top with the 1D X, just a single missing point in the center column of the 7D that's positioned about 1/2-row higher/lower. 

If you look at the most lateral extent, the spread is the same, but where the 7D has just one point out that far, the 1D X/5DIII have a column of 5 points at that spread.

Personally, the extreme corner points (highlighted with arrows) are the ones that I find most useful from a composition standpoint, and they're placed more optimally for me than the 7D's points.  The arrow-marked f/4 cross (magenta) is the one I have as the default point for landscape orientation, and the corresponding one at the bottom of that column is my default for portrait orientation.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses