October 22, 2014, 10:47:48 AM

Poll

What one feature would you like to see in 7DII that is not in CR1 spec?

More AF points
63 (36.2%)
2 Card Slots
61 (35.1%)
Higher MP
14 (8%)
Higher FPS
5 (2.9%)
Higher ISO
31 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: What is missing from the 7DII specs  (Read 11554 times)

habitat

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: What is missing from the 7DII specs
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 10:17:16 AM »
-NEW dynmaic range sensor
-50 iso
-dual card slots
-10fps
-5d3 focus points
-built in flash - please!
-wifi/gps
-More compact/lighter body for traveling/hiking/concealment
-In camera HDR
-Multiple exposure special effect ability
-Dosent cost a million dollars to own!!
-And makes me breakfest....... ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 10:17:16 AM »

Dave_NYC

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »
I would like to see 2 CF card slots (puh-lease!), same AF and ISO performance as 5D MK III or 1DX, and a Klingon cloaking device.

I hope the first three are at least realistic.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2013, 10:25:48 AM »
Question - why are all camera AF points bunched around the middle. Even with a corner one selected I still end up doing some focus and readjustment. Why can't we have some points way oug in the corners? Is it not technically feasible? I seem to always end up cropping images to get eyes in that nice one thirds line area. Thats what I want - AF points spread way out.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2013, 10:38:55 AM »
Lots of discussion about this spec.  WOndering how the camera (granted this is a rumor and the camera is not real) could be improved.

One important sensor property you didn't post for a vote is dynamic range - for my shots, I'd consider this almost as important as iso noise.

Nikon now has the decisive advantage at low iso dr, but I wish dr would be improved at all settings - ever tried to do action shots with a 18mp sensor in the snow? At high shutter / iso it's more like a b&w scene beyond recovery.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2013, 10:42:20 AM »
Question - why are all camera AF points bunched around the middle. Even with a corner one selected I still end up doing some focus and readjustment. Why can't we have some points way oug in the corners? Is it not technically feasible?

It's not technically feasible.  Since you asked...   ;)  Canon EOS DSLR Autofocus Explained

The relevant part:

AF Point Coverage

For many people, this is a big issue in comparing cameras. While it would be wonderful to have AF points available over the entire extent of the frame, there are technical limitations on the spread of the AF points - at best, they can only occupy the middle area of the frame, because of simple geometry and optics. In a nutshell, there are four reasons for this limitation:

• Size of the secondary mirror. Light for AF passes through the semi-transparent part of the main mirror (most is reflected up to the viewfinder), then is reflected off the secondary mirror down to the AF sensor. There is limited space behind the main mirror, based on the necessary geometry (i.e. the main mirror has to be at a 45° angle to the incoming light, and the secondary mirror has to be behind the main mirror and at an angle of 90° to the main mirror, so it's length is limited by the distance between the main mirror and the image sensor).
  • Distortion. With many lenses, the edges of the frame are subject to distortion (barrel/pincushion), and that reduces the accuracy of phase detect AF.
  • Vingetting. The AF system needs a certain amount of light to work. Almost all lenses vignette to some degree, meaning there might not be enough light at the edges of the frame. For example, the EF 17-40mm f/4L has >2 stops of vignetting wide open at the wide end - that means at the edges of the frame, you're below f/5.6 and AF sensors would not have enough light to operate (i.e. in dim light you'd be below the EV sensitivity of the sensor).
  • Temperature. Canon has stated that larger AF sensors are more susceptible to changes in temperature with the result that they change size, getting either larger or smaller as the temperature rises and falls. That reduces the accuracy of the AF system overall.

It's worth noting that none of these limitations apply to contrast detect AF, so using LiveView you can autofocus right out to the edge of the frame.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2013, 10:45:53 AM »
Lots of discussion about this spec.  WOndering how the camera (granted this is a rumor and the camera is not real) could be improved.

I undecided between more AF Points and a second card slot.  Thus I am allowing 2 votes per person (plus I live outside Chicago were everyone votes early and votes often).

If those specs will be materialized the things that ''I will miss'' are:

1. (and most important) 2 card slots ( 1 SD and 1 CF)
2. integrated battery grip ( like 1D series)
3. APS-H sensor  :P

Uh, might I suggest you check your car for an exhaust leak up into the passenger cabinet?
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »
Question - why are all camera AF points bunched around the middle. Even with a corner one selected I still end up doing some focus and readjustment. Why can't we have some points way oug in the corners? Is it not technically feasible?

It's not technically feasible.  Since you asked...   ;)  Canon EOS DSLR Autofocus Explained

The relevant part:

AF Point Coverage

For many people, this is a big issue in comparing cameras. While it would be wonderful to have AF points available over the entire extent of the frame, there are technical limitations on the spread of the AF points - at best, they can only occupy the middle area of the frame, because of simple geometry and optics. In a nutshell, there are four reasons for this limitation:

• Size of the secondary mirror. Light for AF passes through the semi-transparent part of the main mirror (most is reflected up to the viewfinder), then is reflected off the secondary mirror down to the AF sensor. There is limited space behind the main mirror, based on the necessary geometry (i.e. the main mirror has to be at a 45° angle to the incoming light, and the secondary mirror has to be behind the main mirror and at an angle of 90° to the main mirror, so it's length is limited by the distance between the main mirror and the image sensor).
  • Distortion. With many lenses, the edges of the frame are subject to distortion (barrel/pincushion), and that reduces the accuracy of phase detect AF.
  • Vingetting. The AF system needs a certain amount of light to work. Almost all lenses vignette to some degree, meaning there might not be enough light at the edges of the frame. For example, the EF 17-40mm f/4L has >2 stops of vignetting wide open at the wide end - that means at the edges of the frame, you're below f/5.6 and AF sensors would not have enough light to operate (i.e. in dim light you'd be below the EV sensitivity of the sensor).
  • Temperature. Canon has stated that larger AF sensors are more susceptible to changes in temperature with the result that they change size, getting either larger or smaller as the temperature rises and falls. That reduces the accuracy of the AF system overall.

It's worth noting that none of these limitations apply to contrast detect AF, so using LiveView you can autofocus right out to the edge of the frame.

Cool thanks for the info. I had a feeling about the lens problems, that makes sense. And I deffo know about the 17-40 vignetting and its bad enough trying to focus with an outer AF point on a 5D 2 as it is!

Hmmm I didn't know about the liveview thing. I need to give it a try!
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »

Excellent article :-> ... though Nikon's d7100 has a crop mode so that the af spread covers the whole resulting shot, maybe Canon implements it too - it's just a firmware/digic gimmick so no harm done if you don't use it.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 03:32:40 PM »
I wonder who vote for higher ISO ( if the native is 100 - 25600 and can be expanded to 100k) ???:D

Would anybody vote for lower ISO?

If the choice was between say a camera that could do ISO 25-6400 (+12'800 as CF)

I just don't have a use for these high iso's.

I'm happy if the technology means that the noise lower down the scale is better controlled, but really, I would have much more use for a few stops below 100, rather than anything above 3200.

-Jarred-

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2013, 03:53:36 AM »
I'm fairly easy to please. What will make me upgrade my 7D is:

- Clean shots at up to ISO 1600
- Dual slots, both SD would be nice, but both CF is fine. Just not one CF/one SD
- 5D III AF. Although I'm happy with the current 7Ds AF, the thought of having even better perf would be sweeeet
- Same layout/ergo. If they change it too much I'll be unhappy, an integrated grip will be a deal breaker.

Not fussed about GPS/WiFi or a touchscreen or even an fps upgrade.
Fujifilm X-T1 | 10-24mm f4 OIS | 18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS | 56mmm f1.2

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2013, 06:24:17 AM »
I'm a bit disappointed with the rumored number of AF points, but I was also disappointed with the 6Ds specs.  I bought the 6D anyway, and am anything but disappointed.  It would have to be a mini 1DX for me to consider getting another body.  We will see  ;D
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

mkabi

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2013, 06:56:46 PM »
4K video @ 24p, 30p & 60p
1080p upto 120p >>> This alone will destroy the competition.
Canon 7D - EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF - 20mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.0, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2013, 06:57:44 PM »
a big cup of Deal with it

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2013, 06:57:44 PM »