September 20, 2014, 12:20:40 AM

Author Topic: Which Super-Zoom is the best?  (Read 5486 times)

Nick Gombinsky

• Rebel SL1
  • Workaholic and alcoholic
    • View Profile
Re: Which Super-Zoom is the best?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »
Be careful about weight, the new SL1 weighs so little that with a super zoom it might be too front heavy and she might not like it. Maybe you'll have to sacrifice a little bit of reach and get something like the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS (the new version weighs about 100grams less).

Unless someone releases a battery grip for the SL1, most zoom lenses will feel front heavy with this camera... which might annoy some consumers who just want small, light, and nice handling.

As for which super zoom, the Tamron 18-270 VC seems to be the best of the bunch.

EDIT: The 18-270 VC weighs almost the same as the Sigma 17-70, it is also the lightest super zoom.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 01:01:47 PM by Nick Gombinsky »
Canon 7D + grip, Canon 7N + grip
Samyang 16mm f2, 24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4, Pentax Takumar SMC M42 50mm f1.4 and 135mm f2.5
Blackmagic 4K and lots of goodies

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 12:04:35 PM »
With the release of the Canon 100D on the horizon. I wanted to know what is the best super-zoom to buy that my girlfriend could use. She likes photography, but she hates the gear that comes along with it. I'm fine with carrying 3 lens (UWA, 50mm, Tele) but she wants to just have one lens that does it all. She does want the best quality from her gear so I wanted to know which super zoom has the best quality. I understand the negatives of a super zoom lens. So I'm asking everyone out there if they have any recommendations.

What range is included in your "does it all"?  As you doubtless know, no superzoom lens goes really wide, and the longest zooms don't go wide at all (barring point-and-shoots such as the Canon sx50).  And what does "best quality" mean?  (If she likes low light photography, aps-c + superzoom = inferior quality.)  What's more, if she "hates the gear", she should see how such a lens feels when attached to that little camera - it might be quite unbalanced and unpleasant to use....   

But are you sure she wants a dslr at all?  If she doesn't need to zoom in terribly far, a Sony RX100 might make more sense - near-dslr quality, tiny, no lenses to change and easy to use (if you like handling point-and-shoots, that is).  Or, if her dislike of the gear relates mainly to size and weight, what about micro 4/3, where the cameras and lenses are all much smaller and lighter than dslr gear?

Dantana

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »
I went through this myself looking for a single lens to take on hiking trips. The canon 18-200 was a clear winner, but be warned that sharpness from any super zoom is nowhere near a great zoom like the 17-55 or any of the 70-200's.

It is also the worst lens that I have ever used for "lens creep". Mine has a rubber band from a head of broccoli as a permanent feature to keep it under control. Also, this lens does NOT play well with teleconverters.

I made the same choice a few years ago, thinking I could live with a little lower IQ and take more pictures since I wouldn't have to swap lenses.

Now, my 18-200 pretty much sits in the bag. It's not a bad lens when you take into account its range, and I have used it to get some nice shots. It just doesn't hold up to my other lenses. I've gone back to shooting with primes for the most part, the same way I shot back in the FD days.

It is convenient to have the range, and I haven't gotten rid of it. I just don't use it as much as I thought I would. It might be something to borrow/rent (if that's possible) to get a feel for it before buying. If I had to go back, I think I would have put the money toward a 200mm 2.8 L and stayed with my kit lenses for zooms.
6D, 20 2.8, 35 2.0, 40 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 24-105 4L, 2x III, Speedlite 430EX II, Rokinon 14 2.8

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »
I went through this myself looking for a single lens to take on hiking trips. The canon 18-200 was a clear winner, but be warned that sharpness from any super zoom is nowhere near a great zoom like the 17-55 or any of the 70-200's.

It is also the worst lens that I have ever used for "lens creep". Mine has a rubber band from a head of broccoli as a permanent feature to keep it under control. Also, this lens does NOT play well with teleconverters.

I made the same choice a few years ago, thinking I could live with a little lower IQ and take more pictures since I wouldn't have to swap lenses.

Now, my 18-200 pretty much sits in the bag. It's not a bad lens when you take into account its range, and I have used it to get some nice shots. It just doesn't hold up to my other lenses. I've gone back to shooting with primes for the most part, the same way I shot back in the FD days.

It is convenient to have the range, and I haven't gotten rid of it. I just don't use it as much as I thought I would. It might be something to borrow/rent (if that's possible) to get a feel for it before buying. If I had to go back, I think I would have put the money toward a 200mm 2.8 L and stayed with my kit lenses for zooms.
Mine stays in the bag most of the time too. I replaced it with a 17-55 and the F4 is version of the 70-200. The difference in IQ is striking.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 03:23:39 AM »
g.

As for which super zoom, the Tamron 18-270 VC seems to be the best of the bunch.

EDIT: The 18-270 VC weighs almost the same as the Sigma 17-70, it is also the lightest super zoom.

Well, I asked her about this weight question and she said she wants something that won't be cumbersome for me in my backpack (-.-)

Weight really isn't a priority for us. It's mainly more of a convenience for when we go backpacking this summer. She wants to pick up any shots that I miss. It's kind of like having a backup photographer. I'll be packing an UWA and a TELE (2 zooms).

What range is included in your "does it all"?  As you doubtless know, no superzoom lens goes really wide, and the longest zooms don't go wide at all (barring point-and-shoots such as the Canon sx50).  And what does "best quality" mean?  (If she likes low light photography, aps-c + superzoom = inferior quality.)  What's more, if she "hates the gear", she should see how such a lens feels when attached to that little camera - it might be quite unbalanced and unpleasant to use....   

But are you sure she wants a dslr at all?  If she doesn't need to zoom in terribly far, a Sony RX100 might make more sense - near-dslr quality, tiny, no lenses to change and easy to use (if you like handling point-and-shoots, that is).  Or, if her dislike of the gear relates mainly to size and weight, what about micro 4/3, where the cameras and lenses are all much smaller and lighter than dslr gear?

I've tried to tell her that the Sony RX100 will be fine for her use but she's been accustomed to using DSLRs after I've let her play with mine. It's more of a personal preference for her. Although her hands are tiny and cute, she loves feeling in full control.

I'm bringing my S100 if she needs it haha. The Sony NEX C3 is something that she's looking at too. Thanks for the heads up :D

For sheer quality, the EF-S 15-85. It's a much better lens than the 17-85, as well as being significantly wider, and is of L quality. The 15mm at the wide end is more useful in many ways than the loss of length as the better IQ allows you to crop. Also, its size is suitable for the small camera

That Canon EF-s 15-85mm is actually a good choice, but she wants to see if theres any other choices before she pops $700 for a lens. haha

Canon 5D - Fine Art/Workhorse
Canon T1i - Modded for Video!
Canon 1DmkII - Sports/Wildlife

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 03:23:39 AM »