Gear Talk > Canon General

24-70Mk2 fell off my 5DMk3 and smashed

(1/16) > >>

Jeremy:
Last night while shooting an event, my new (2 months old) 24-70 Mk2 FELL OFF MY 5DMk3 and smashed on a tile floor. I Googled this issue and a lot of people have had this happen. I never gave it much though, but the zoom ring puts my thumb ON TOP OF the lens release button while shooting. I must've hit it accidentally and then, when zooming, rotated the lens off the camera.  I tested it with my 16-35 (that I've shot with for years with no trouble) and the zoom ring is farther down the barrel, so it doesn't get bumped.  Is this a design flaw with the new 24-70 or am I doing doing something different from every other photog out there?  I am devastated.

RLPhoto:
Uh, the 24-105 also has teh zoom ring in the same spot. Never knew this was an issue.  :-X

pierceography:
I'm also skeptical about this being an actual issue.  I just pulled my 5Dm3 with the 24-70mm ii out of my bag and tried to reproduce the problem.  I can't, for the life of me, see how anyone could accidentally release the lens while zooming.  I have very large hands, and in order to push the lens release with my left hand, my thumb would be almost entirely off the zoom ring.

But regardless of whether or not this is a design flaw, losing a nearly brand new 24-70mm ii is pretty awful.  My condolences to you, sir.

Jeremy:
@pierceography   We must just hold the camera differently.  Not that I've ever thought about it until last night, but in looking at it now, I brace my thumb left against the body of the camera to steady it and zoom with my middle and pointer fingers.  My thumb doesn't move much.  And it's right on the lens release.  Testing it here at my desk, I'm having a hard time replicating it too.  As we all know, though, shooting at a job is a lot different than testing at home.

EvilTed:

--- Quote from: Jeremy on March 29, 2013, 10:56:55 AM ---Last night while shooting an event, my new (2 months old) 24-70 Mk2 FELL OFF MY 5DMk3 and smashed on a tile floor. I Googled this issue and a lot of people have had this happen. I never gave it much though, but the zoom ring puts my thumb ON TOP OF the lens release button while shooting. I must've hit it accidentally and then, when zooming, rotated the lens off the camera.  I tested it with my 16-35 (that I've shot with for years with no trouble) and the zoom ring is farther down the barrel, so it doesn't get bumped.  Is this a design flaw with the new 24-70 or am I doing doing something different from every other photog out there?  I am devastated.

--- End quote ---

Ouch!

Let me check mine before I end up doing the same.
Thanks for the heads up!

ET

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version