July 26, 2014, 05:51:23 AM

Author Topic: Nik Collection Bundle for $126.65  (Read 13151 times)

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Nik Collection Bundle for $126.65
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »
I use Nik quite a lot in my workflow. It's great for adding a little punch to a photo. It integrates very well into CS6 and Lightroom. Silver Efex Pro and Viveza are the ones I use the most. Usually for messing with the Sky. The u-point makes it very easy to make local adjustments without complicated work with Layers. I'd say its a bargain . The downside is lots more people will use it which makes the effects less special and more common. What was a hidden secret (especially Silver Efex Pro) will now be commonly used
www.flickr.com/fergalocallaghan

Hi, since you use it, maybe you can answer my question I had just before your post.
Working with these NIK plugins....are you doing this to RAW files non-destructively...or does using each one of these plug ins (not the HDR one)...output like a TIFF file....

Just wondering if these fit into workwith with RAW all the way through, and then outputting TIFF or Jpeg at the end...or if these plugins put out TIFF/jpeg, and you should only use them at the end of the workflow?

Thanks,

C

Works OK with LR work flow.  When you open a file to edit with Nik products, it produces a virtual copy (tiff) that you can edit to your heart's content.  The original RAW is preserved as its own file.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2013, 04:35:36 PM »
I use Nik quite a lot in my workflow. It's great for adding a little punch to a photo. It integrates very well into CS6 and Lightroom. Silver Efex Pro and Viveza are the ones I use the most. Usually for messing with the Sky. The u-point makes it very easy to make local adjustments without complicated work with Layers. I'd say its a bargain . The downside is lots more people will use it which makes the effects less special and more common. What was a hidden secret (especially Silver Efex Pro) will now be commonly used

Hi, since you use it, maybe you can answer my question I had just before your post.
Working with these NIK plugins....are you doing this to RAW files non-destructively...or does using each one of these plug ins (not the HDR one)...output like a TIFF file....

Just wondering if these fit into workwith with RAW all the way through, and then outputting TIFF or Jpeg at the end...or if these plugins put out TIFF/jpeg, and you should only use them at the end of the workflow?

Thanks,

C

Works OK with LR work flow.  When you open a file to edit with Nik products, it produces a virtual copy (tiff) that you can edit to your heart's content.  The original RAW is preserved as its own file.

Hmm..ok, that's what I was afraid of....I'm using Aperture. I like that it, much like Lightroom, allows you to make all the adjustments to the RAW file (well, technically just keeping track of what all to apply to it)...but you don't actually move to jpeg or tiff till you're finished.

These plugins, would be best used at the very END of your workflow, after you've done everything you want with LR or Aperture....and do these as final steps before outputting the images.

That kinda blows, but seems the nature of the beast with plugins to our 'development' software....was hoping these weren't that way.

Thoughts?

C

VirtualRain

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2013, 04:55:07 PM »

Thanks,

C

Hmm..ok, that's what I was afraid of....I'm using Aperture. I like that it, much like Lightroom, allows you to make all the adjustments to the RAW file (well, technically just keeping track of what all to apply to it)...but you don't actually move to jpeg or tiff till you're finished.

These plugins, would be best used at the very END of your workflow, after you've done everything you want with LR or Aperture....and do these as final steps before outputting the images.

That kinda blows, but seems the nature of the beast with plugins to our 'development' software....was hoping these weren't that way.

Thoughts?

C

In Aperture, I usually only adjust the overall exposure in Aperture before going to NIK (usually Viveza for couloir photos). As I said before, once you use their u-point tonal mask adjustments, you'll realize how foolish it is trying to do global adjustments in Aperture. Seldom do two tones in any given photo need the same adjustment.  After NIK, I use Aperture to sharpen the final TIFF (I still prefer Apertures sharpening in most cases).
Canon 5D Mark III, 35L, 85L, 24-105L, 70-300L

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »

Thanks,

C

Thoughts?

C

In Aperture, I usually only adjust the overall exposure in Aperture before going to NIK (usually Viveza for couloir photos). As I said before, once you use their u-point tonal mask adjustments, you'll realize how foolish it is trying to do global adjustments in Aperture. Seldom do two tones in any given photo need the same adjustment.  After NIK, I use Aperture to sharpen the final TIFF (I still prefer Apertures sharpening in most cases).

Hey, thank you SO much for the advice.

I just pulled the trigger and got the suite....

I'll try to install it later this week, and play around with it.

I'm still a bit of a noob, but with a serious hardware/software jones.....I'm still going through some good tutorials on how to use Aperture 3....so, gonna finish that up (from a book)..and then install and try things out.

Goodness....the software I've bought and haven't even installed/used yet, but was "too good a deal to pass up".

Photomatix (installed but barely tried)
Nik Suite
Pluraleyes 3 (free with Rode stereovideo mike pro...which isn't even out of the box yet)
and God knows what else...I need to check my downloads folder out...

Ugh...I need to seriously take a week off from the day job...stay at home...and just have time to play with the software and go through all the stills and video I've shot the past year....learn, and catch up with NO distractions...

At some point here, I think I need to stop shooting...and process and learn!!!

Oh well, there are worse problems in the world....

C

jthomson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2013, 05:51:23 PM »
Yes, that is the case.  I got an e-mail from them with a link to download teh SW.  Hopefully they have fixed the link by now since it was missing the .exe extension.  Once you stick that on there it works just fine.

Thanks, I was wondering how to get it to install after digging the link out of my spam folder.

Guess Google wanted us to work a little for the free upgrade.  ;D

TexasBadger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
I downloaded the file earlier this week and it was not an executable file.  I just downloaded it again and the issue has been fixed.  I now have the entire suite!
5DC, 5D3, Elan7, G12, 28 1.8, 50 1.8 II, 85 1.8 USM, 135 2.0 L, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 L, 560 EX, 580 EX II (2) --- all Canon.

Biggles

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2013, 10:12:55 PM »
Will the price set by Google stay at $149 indefinitely or is this a temporary offer by Google?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2013, 10:12:55 PM »

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2013, 10:47:45 PM »
So I pulled the trigger and bought the suite earlier today.  I have both LR4.3 and Photoshop CS5.  I can only see all the Nik plugins in PS, they are not showing up in LR.  Is this normal?
Thanks

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2013, 12:30:56 AM »
So I pulled the trigger and bought the suite earlier today.  I have both LR4.3 and Photoshop CS5.  I can only see all the Nik plugins in PS, they are not showing up in LR.  Is this normal?
Thanks
If you bought the full version, they should show up in LR. CS ... mine shows up in LR4.3, CS6 & Aperture.
When you install NIK bundle, it automatically identifies the image editing software on your computer (LR, CS & Aperture), with a pop-up window ... do you recollect seeing that? if yes did it show your LR4 & CS5 software?
Also, do you have any other plug-ins already installed on LR4? 
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

nWmR12

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2013, 12:34:03 AM »
Thanks

It should be there. If you right click on the image you are on and go to edit-in. It will be in that list that is below PS..ect...at least in mine it does since there is no pop-up window like in PS. (using mac, don't know if that matters.)

nlrela

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2013, 10:11:48 AM »
Did a Paypal payment, but didn't got any confirmation or whatsoever (apart from Paypal message that payment was done) .... even not after 30 hours  >:( >:(

What am I supposed to get (email with download link, account) ?

Thanks for your feedback.

DianeK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2013, 10:17:30 AM »
Thanks RienzphotoZ and nWmR12.  You are right, when I go to "Edit photo in" the entire suite is listed.  I didn't think they were there because I was looking for them in the plug-in manager and they didn't show up there.  :-[
Thanks!

DonS

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »
Thanks
I get them all EXCEPT HDR Efex Pro.  The plugin does not get installed for LR.  I have uninstalled and re-installed.  I know it shows in the "Export to" rather than "Edit In".  I have an open support incident with Nik. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2013, 05:18:18 PM »
Thanks
I get them all EXCEPT HDR Efex Pro.  The plugin does not get installed for LR.  I have uninstalled and re-installed.  I know it shows in the "Export to" rather than "Edit In".  I have an open support incident with Nik.

I think that is normal for HDR, right? In that you have to export multiple images (your bracketed shots) into HDR Plugin...it isn't really a matter of editing, but exporting to that plug in, right?

C

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »
It's still April 2 where I live. The $149 offer is still up but the coupon codes "stuckincustoms" and "northlight" are being rejected. Is there another coupon code?

-PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »