October 21, 2014, 01:44:27 PM

Author Topic: What's the normal battery drain for a 5D3 that's off?  (Read 7337 times)

jm977

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
What's the normal battery drain for a 5D3 that's off?
« on: March 30, 2013, 10:29:26 AM »
I had a pair of 7Ds and have swapped one for a new 5D3.  I don't know if anyone out there goes through periods of inactivity with their photography where their camera may sit unused for weeks at a time but it does happen to me.  I've noticed that the 7D will pretty much pick up weeks or a month later virtually where the battery left off.  For example if I stopped shooting at 65% battery, a month later it'll be close to it though I never really paid attention to it as it sure wasn't 0.  But I've noticed now that my 5D3 after it's first little bit of inactivity has drained it's battery when off.  Now, the other day I charged up two of my batteries  and left them on the charger for some time after the solid green light.  I may be jumping the gun here as it's only been two days since I did this but already I see my 7D battery level at 100% and the 5D3 is registering 99%.  How is it that the 5D3 sucks up more juice when off than the 7D?  Unless it's an actual fault with the camera, I'm going to really have to pay attention to either removing the battery or charging it up during the times when I'm not using it so much.  By the way, the 5D3 was just sitting with the 24-105 on it.  I know in the past people have had issues with the Tamron 24-70 and I think there's a grip that used to cause a drain but that's not my situation.  Anyway, I'm just curious to know if the tiny drain on the 5D3 is normal with the 7D less being an unusual bonus or if it's the other way around.  Again, I assume most people here are avid shooters and don't have a lot of downtime but maybe someone knows.  I may also send off an email to Canon and find out what they have to say as to what is normal and not.  Thanks in advance.

canon rumors FORUM

What's the normal battery drain for a 5D3 that's off?
« on: March 30, 2013, 10:29:26 AM »

Universeal

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Universeal
Re: What's the normal battery drain for a 5D3 that's off?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »
I could say 98-97% for a month didn't measure exactly but close to that.  It reach 99% quick it does not stay 100% a lot maybe it's a reason.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »
Don't leave your 5D3 on for months without using it, it will discharge the battery more than previous models.  Both of my 5D MK III's do this.  I leave mine turned on, and use it almost every day for a few photos.  In this mode, the battery will drop to half in a few weeks.

jm977

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 01:11:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far.  I am probably nitpicking over 1% in two days time.  I just never noticed this so much as I've never gone more than a week without touching my cameras.  Due to illness, it's been pushing three long months since I turned on a camera.  I really should have at least taken the batteries out of them I guess but my cameras were the last thing on my mind lately.

Mt Spokane...I notice you mention it will discharge faster than previous models and you say with it "on".  I always turn mine off with the switch when done with a shoot rather than letting it go to sleep.  Did you mean "on" for months or were you saying "don't not use it" for months? 

In any case, as I said it's only an issue I noticed since I went an unusually long time since last turning on the camera.  Now if it went from 100% to 10% overnight (when turned off), that would probably be a big deal.

archiea

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 02:03:05 PM »
I had a pair of 7Ds and have swapped one for a new 5D3.  I don't know if anyone out there goes through periods of inactivity with their photography where their camera may sit unused for weeks at a time but it does happen to me.  I've noticed that the 7D will pretty much pick up weeks or a month later virtually where the battery left off.  For example if I stopped shooting at 65% battery, a month later it'll be close to it though I never really paid attention to it as it sure wasn't 0.  But I've noticed now that my 5D3 after it's first little bit of inactivity has drained it's battery when off.  Now, the other day I charged up two of my batteries  and left them on the charger for some time after the solid green light.  I may be jumping the gun here as it's only been two days since I did this but already I see my 7D battery level at 100% and the 5D3 is registering 99%.  How is it that the 5D3 sucks up more juice when off than the 7D?  Unless it's an actual fault with the camera, I'm going to really have to pay attention to either removing the battery or charging it up during the times when I'm not using it so much.  By the way, the 5D3 was just sitting with the 24-105 on it.  I know in the past people have had issues with the Tamron 24-70 and I think there's a grip that used to cause a drain but that's not my situation.  Anyway, I'm just curious to know if the tiny drain on the 5D3 is normal with the 7D less being an unusual bonus or if it's the other way around.  Again, I assume most people here are avid shooters and don't have a lot of downtime but maybe someone knows.  I may also send off an email to Canon and find out what they have to say as to what is normal and not.  Thanks in advance.

5D markiii has wifi ability with an eyefi card... but for it to work consistently, I had to disable the sleep mode on the camera.  Just leaving the eyefi activated will drain the battery quick.  Check the camera's sleep setting to see if its within a minute.  Also remember when it sleep mode, while in a bag, hitting the shutter button will wake it.  now I use the actual off button whenits in the bag..  ;D

I hope his gives you some items to scratch off your debug list ...

Universeal

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Universeal
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 02:32:42 PM »
Turned off. I don't use very often my 5dmk3 because i don't need it, only in special situations when i need the high iso. My main camera is 550d. Also and the battery will lose power if not used over time so it's not just the camera.

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »
I don't notice battery drain while my 5D3 is off, I just notice it while I'm shooting.  Mine only gets 300-500 shots per battery, and I'm using genuine batteries.   :-[

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 03:35:52 PM »
I don't use very often my 5dmk3 because i don't need it, only in special situations when i need the high iso. My main camera is 550d.

:o :o :o seriously?

Garfield

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 03:43:39 PM »
Some weeks ago I've measured the current consumption of my 5Dmark3 with the 24-105mmF4 attached.
I'm working in the electronic industry and have quite good equipment available. A old LP-E6 battery was modified to measure the current in different scenarios.
Here's the result:

70µA  (0.07mA)      Camera main switch off
     70µA  (0.07mA)      Camera switched off automatically after 1 minute, top LCD display is off
     50mA                       Camera idle (viewfinder display is off but camera has not yet switched off automatically)
     280-350mA            watching and scrolling through pictures at the rear LCD screen (depends on screen brightness)

If you wonder what's the current from the small backup battery (CR1616), when no LP-E6 is in the camera:

0.7µA  (0.0007mA)

From the capacity you can roughly calculate how long the corresponding battery will last.

LP-E6       1800mAh
     CR1616    55mAh

For the LP-E6 battery it's a bit more complicated, because the electronic inside this pack needs also a small amount of energy.
Every lithium-ion battery has a self discharge rate as well (~5% per month).
Under normal circumstances the main battery should last many month when not using the camera and no WiFi SD card is insert.

I hope it's a bit helpful.

Brand B

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 04:17:52 PM »
I don't notice battery drain while my 5D3 is off, I just notice it while I'm shooting.  Mine only gets 300-500 shots per battery, and I'm using genuine batteries.   :-[

Really?  Are you shooting raw + jpg, or are you using a large lens with a big motor?    I have easily gotten over 1000 shots on a single charge using a 28-70L, RAW only.

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 04:18:38 PM »
jm977:  The absolute accuracy of the cameras battery reading isn't that good.  If it dropped from 100% to 90% in a day, I would be concerned.  100% to 99% is well within measurement error.

Garfield - Thank you very much for that data!

Based on Garfield's data, the "OFF" power drain is little more than the self discharge rate for the Li batteries.  So even with the battery sitting in your camera bag by itself, it's going to discharge eventually.  Unless you plan on putting the camera away for a year, I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally, I charge both my batteries before a shoot, and when things are quiet (usually meaning the day job is too busy to enjoy much photography, although there is always a photo or two during a normal day with my cats...), I swap the battery in the camera once a month or so (charging the one that has been in the camera).  I've not found the in camera battery down more than 20% or so.

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 04:36:02 PM »
Garfield's data all sound very reasonable. I I picked up a 5D3 at the end of last year, and haven't found its battery performance to be noticeably different from the 5D I've owned for more than 5 years.

I've also had a 20D for 8+ years, and after I use any of these bodies, I remove the battery at the same time I remove the CF card, before putting the camera away. (I usually leave what ever lens was mounted attached, to minimize the introduction of dust into the mirror / sensor chambers.) I've never had to replace any of the button cell backup batteries.
Photographic equipment

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »

Mt Spokane...I notice you mention it will discharge faster than previous models and you say with it "on".  I always turn mine off with the switch when done with a shoot rather than letting it go to sleep.  Did you mean "on" for months or were you saying "don't not use it" for months? 

Many people leave the switch on, the camera uses very little power when it sleeps.  I thought that was what you were referring to.
Li-on batteries also self discharge over time, you are not supposed to store them with a full charge, but most of us do.  Its likely that you are seeing normal self discharge, but if the power switch is off, and it loses a lot of power in a week or two, there is a problem either with the battery or with camera drain.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 06:21:21 PM »
Really?  Are you shooting raw + jpg, or are you using a large lens with a big motor?    I have easily gotten over 1000 shots on a single charge using a 28-70L, RAW only.
Yes really, unfortunately.  I primarily shoot RAW only, with non-IS or a couple 70-200 IS lenses.  The lens I use doesn't seem to make a difference.  I also tend to use one shot AF, have it set to sleep after the minimum time, use only one CF or SD card, etc.  Now that Garfield has posted some numbers (thanks!!) I'll compare.  Garfield, were you able to run the LP-E6 outside of the camera for your measurements and if so, did you have to fool the camera into thinking the battery was inside with the door closed?

I wrote to Canon about the low shot per battery issue and they said I should mail the 5D3 in for service.  I'd like to figure out where the problem resides first, as it could just be a faulty charger.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:25:05 PM by jabbott »

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 06:21:46 PM »
I don't use very often my 5dmk3 because i don't need it, only in special situations when i need the high iso. My main camera is 550d.

:o :o :o seriously?
I don't think I could do that!  If I had the 550d and the 5d3, the 550d would be collecting cobwebs!  :D
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-105L, 16-35L IS, 17-40L, 85mm 1.8, Samy 14mm 2.8,  600 EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 1.4X III, 2.0X III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 06:21:46 PM »