October 21, 2014, 09:36:42 AM

Author Topic: What's the normal battery drain for a 5D3 that's off?  (Read 7335 times)

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
Re: What's the normal battery drain for a 5D3 that's off?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 06:27:24 PM »
I don't notice battery drain while my 5D3 is off, I just notice it while I'm shooting.  Mine only gets 300-500 shots per battery, and I'm using genuine batteries.   :-[
+1  I notice my batteries shoot down quickly in my 5d3 compared to my 7d.  I have similar results as you, averaging about 575 images per battery!  I can more than double that in my 7d with one battery.  Excellent results with the 7d being gripped of course but I'm not comparing that.  My 5d3 is not gripped.

I've been disapointed with the battery life in my 5d3 since the first install.  I've traded out the batteries with the 7d and still get the same performance with them switched, in either camera... I just figured it had something to do with the 5d3 capturing larger files?

I shoot most often in AI Servo with IS on...
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-105L, 16-35L IS, 17-40L, 85mm 1.8, Samy 14mm 2.8,  600 EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 1.4X III, 2.0X III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 06:27:24 PM »

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 06:45:15 PM »
+1  I notice my batteries shoot down quickly in my 5d3 compared to my 7d.  I have similar results as you, averaging about 575 images per battery!  I can more than double that in my 7d with one battery.  Excellent results with the 7d being gripped of course but I'm not comparing that.  My 5d3 is not gripped.

I've been disapointed with the battery life in my 5d3 since the first install.  I've traded out the batteries with the 7d and still get the same performance with them switched, in either camera... I just figured it had something to do with the 5d3 capturing larger files?

There are a couple things I'm going to try before mailing my 5D3 in for service...  in April, Canon is supposed to be releasing a new firmware update.  I'll try updating to that and see if helps.  If it doesn't, I was thinking about trying a hard reset technique like the one posted here: http://ilucato.com.br/lucatowp/lang/en-us/como-fazer-o-reset-de-fabrica-na-canon-rebel300d-xti400dhow-to-hard-reset-canon-rebel300d-xti400d/

Maybe I'll just try the hard reset first...  need to write down my AFMA settings first though!

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »

There are a couple things I'm going to try before mailing my 5D3 in for service...  in April, Canon is supposed to be releasing a new firmware update.  I'll try updating to that and see if helps.  If it doesn't, I was thinking about trying a hard reset technique like the one posted here: http://ilucato.com.br/lucatowp/lang/en-us/como-fazer-o-reset-de-fabrica-na-canon-rebel300d-xti400dhow-to-hard-reset-canon-rebel300d-xti400d/

Maybe I'll just try the hard reset first...  need to write down my AFMA settings first though!
Ha!  Yes, definitely write them down first!!  Let us know how that works out, I'm very interested!  Thanks!
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-105L, 16-35L IS, 17-40L, 85mm 1.8, Samy 14mm 2.8,  600 EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 1.4X III, 2.0X III

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 07:48:59 PM »
I don't notice battery drain while my 5D3 is off, I just notice it while I'm shooting.  Mine only gets 300-500 shots per battery, and I'm using genuine batteries.   :-[

I have taken over 900 shots with mine and the battery is still about 40+ percent charged.  Wonder what causes the difference?  I guess we don't have to consider flash usage since the 5D family has none. LOL

I almost never use live view, do you use it a lot?  I'm using non-stabilized lenses and no Eye-Fi card.
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

jm977

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 08:31:09 PM »
Thank you everyone for the information.  I didn't realize that the issue of batteries could generate so much interest. 
I'm hoping that my issue is simply of one of neglect.  As I mentioned I went an unusually long period of time where I didn't even touch my camera and I never realized how poorly these batteries hold a charge.  I knew it was bad but didn't think it was that bad.  It would seem I lose approximately 1% a day.  I'm going to try my best not to touch it for a week or two and see how it goes.  That seems like a lot of loss (dead in 90 days -ish) to me but again, I've never gone more than a week without charging and shooting so for all I know it is. 

Anyway, to clear up a little regarding some other points brought up....
I do not have a wifi card.  I have gotten what I consider very good shooting capability from the battery/5D3 which if I remember correctly gave me in the area of 900 shots with some battery to spare on my last shoot 3 months ago with I would think around 20%+ to spare.  I hate to drain it below 20% on a shoot ( so that's how I know I had at least that in reserve ) and I think 900-1k with IS lenses, AF but no live view and some chimping is pretty good.  And of course (no offense to third party manufacturers ) my batteries are all Canon. 

So thanks for all the input.  I'm glad I signed up to the forum.  Nice bunch of people here.  And that's some cool investigative work there  Garfield.

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 12:11:38 AM »
I have taken over 900 shots with mine and the battery is still about 40+ percent charged.  Wonder what causes the difference?  I guess we don't have to consider flash usage since the 5D family has none. LOL

I almost never use live view, do you use it a lot?  I'm using non-stabilized lenses and no Eye-Fi card.
I rarely use Live View...  I also rarely use stabilized lenses, and don't use an Eye-Fi card.  I chimp but not excessively.  It's puzzling.  At first I thought it was because I spent a lot of time in the menus configuring the camera, but then the high battery drain behavior continued well after that.  If the firmware update and hard reset don't help, I'll just send the camera into Canon as it's still under warranty for the next few months.  From what I've read online, there are some folks who get great battery life from their 5D3 (some of which exceed 1,000 shots per charge) and others who only get mediocre battery life (300-600 shots per charge).  I didn't realize until I wrote to Canon that the battery charger itself may be to blame.  I may also try borrowing a friend's charger to see if it charges the batteries more.

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 12:21:15 AM »
By the way, I found a Flickr discussion forum where a lot of people have had similar issues:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157628002945669/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 12:21:15 AM »

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »

I rarely use Live View...  I also rarely use stabilized lenses, and don't use an Eye-Fi card.  I chimp but not excessively.  It's puzzling.  At first I thought it was because I spent a lot of time in the menus configuring the camera, but then the high battery drain behavior continued well after that.  If the firmware update and hard reset don't help, I'll just send the camera into Canon as it's still under warranty for the next few months.  From what I've read online, there are some folks who get great battery life from their 5D3 (some of which exceed 1,000 shots per charge) and others who only get mediocre battery life (300-600 shots per charge).  I didn't realize until I wrote to Canon that the battery charger itself may be to blame.  I may also try borrowing a friend's charger to see if it charges the batteries more.
Is it possible that AI Servo could drain them more quickly?  I do notice that often times I'm holding that back button down for a while at times, waiting for certain images... I do it with my 7d though too, it's also configured for back af-on button focusing on mine...
Ken

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »
Is it possible that AI Servo could drain them more quickly?  I do notice that often times I'm holding that back button down for a while at times, waiting for certain images... I do it with my 7d though too, it's also configured for back af-on button focusing on mine...
I would think that AF Servo would consume a lot more battery power than One Shot AF.  Garfield are you still there?  :D  To follow up to my previous posts, I did some shooting with the 5D3 this weekend for Easter and ended up with much better battery life, but I was shooting much more than usual rather than taking an occasional shot and letting the camera idle.  I noticed this effect as well with my T2i - I was once able to get 2,000 shots on one battery, but I was doing rapid fire shots nearly constantly for a rock concert.  I wish the 5D3 had a smaller time period setting for auto power off, such as 5 seconds instead of a minute.  For now I just shut off the camera after each shot when I'm shooting periodically.

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 06:02:14 PM »
I wish the 5D3 had a smaller time period setting for auto power off, such as 5 seconds instead of a minute.  For now I just shut off the camera after each shot when I'm shooting periodically.

Per the measurements made by Garfield, you aren't really gaining anything by switching the camera off, rather than just letting it idle. In fact -- particularly if you have sensor cleaning set to engage each time you switch the camera on and off -- you may be discharging your battery more than you would by just letting the idle timer do its job after each 1 minute period of no activity.
Photographic equipment

jm977

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 06:45:58 PM »
I would think that over the years, for the most part discussion about batteries has been pretty much covered.  However, I appreciate all who took a few minutes to talk about them here.  If it hadn't been for my unexpected long time where I did not do any shooting, I probably would have gone on without a care about battery life but in case anyone's interested, I did hear from Canon regarding the matter.
So, according to Canon, they don't have any specific data on how long a battery will go until dead while it sits in your camera on your shelf unused.  They do of course recommend you don't store your camera for long with the battery in it and I wouldn't but unexpected circumstances struck me.  Anyway, with six days of leaving my 7D and 5D3 unused with fully charged batteries (difficult to do now that I'm back in the game), the 7D reports 98% charged and the 5D3 97% charged.  Canon agrees (though they don't have "data" on normal) that this appears normal as any time they've seen real problems, it's because the battery has gone down drastically in far less time. 
While it's only a matter of a few percentages, it's just another reason to charge em before you use em I guess.  Now, on to using the darn cameras instead of wasting time looking at battery percentages :) !

Hugo Fisher

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Honza Jezdik | Photography
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 06:52:41 PM »
I do simply over 2500 pictures per single charge of an original 5D3 battery. The record which I had was over 2700 pictures..

I think that 5D3 battery is just amazing. I am not switching the camera off between shots or something. I just do not look at every picture which I had taken. Because I do not need to. :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:54:58 PM by Hugo Fisher »
Canon 5D mk III + 1100D | 17-40/4L | 24-70/2.8L | Sigma 35/1,4 Art | 50/1,4 | 85/1,8 | 70-200/2,8L IS II | 580 EX II |  | Wedding and studio photography | www.honzajezdik.cz | www.facebook.com/jezdik.photo

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 10:33:56 AM »
I would think that AF Servo would consume a lot more battery power than One Shot AF.  Garfield are you still there?  :D  To follow up to my previous posts, I did some shooting with the 5D3 this weekend for Easter and ended up with much better battery life, but I was shooting much more than usual rather than taking an occasional shot and letting the camera idle.  I noticed this effect as well with my T2i - I was once able to get 2,000 shots on one battery, but I was doing rapid fire shots nearly constantly for a rock concert.  I wish the 5D3 had a smaller time period setting for auto power off, such as 5 seconds instead of a minute.  For now I just shut off the camera after each shot when I'm shooting periodically.
I think that's it in my situation.  I think the AI servo combined with the more powerful AF system must be draining my system quicker.  The 7d AF is good but not nearly as powerful as the one on my 5d3, based on my keeper rate.  I'm doing a lot of sports and bif, so I'm pressing that back button AF a lot... combined with the IS, I suppose thats the answer...  I went out this last weekend and tried to let go of the AF button more and noticed a difference in the number of images I was able to take on the one battery... Enjoyed the post.  ;D
Ken

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 10:33:56 AM »

Skirball

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 12:56:51 PM »
For the record I noticed the same thing on my 6D.  My 400D with old generic batteries last longer.  But the camera is new so I've been playing with live view and wifi and whatnot and just fiddling with setups, so I attributed it to that.

One thing that could explain the large variance people are getting is how much people chimp and if you turn off the screen or keep it on the info screen when you shoot.

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »
I have the same problem, battery drains within 4 or 5 days without any use ... But this only happens if I charge the battery with the charger that came with 5D MK III which is meant for USA switches (I bought my 5D MK III from USA but I love in Middle East) ... but when I use the old 60D charger to charge the battery than there is no problem.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »