September 15, 2014, 11:07:55 PM

Author Topic: Callibrating lenses  (Read 1270 times)

Apop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Apophoto
Callibrating lenses
« on: March 30, 2013, 02:29:52 PM »
Hey,

Have any of you ever sent a lens to canon?, to callibrate / clean it ?
Did you also send your body to them with the lens?

I am interested in this because i have a lens that is several years old, and also purchased a second hand body.
Everything seems to be working fine, but i wonder if i can send or bring the equipment to a service center to have it checked out?

I have tried to google it in my native language but didn't find any specific steps,
Any of you know what to do? ( I am from the Netherlands btw).

Thanks in advance for help/advice on this subject

canon rumors FORUM

Callibrating lenses
« on: March 30, 2013, 02:29:52 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Callibrating lenses
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »
Yes, I send lenses to be calibrated if they are way off.  No, I do not include my camera.

What Canon does is to mount the lens on a standard camera body of the same type that you report.  They adjust it to that body.

You do not really want Canon to adjust a lens to your body.  They can adjust each to spec and then verify that it focuses accurately. 

Jean

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 06:04:59 PM »
I had my body and lenses calibrated at DSP (Digital Service Point) in Nederweert (Netherlands) after focussing problems with three new lenses.
I brought my body with the lenses.
First the body was calibrated with a dedicated calibration lens in a service setup.
Then the lenses one by one were adjusted to the calibrated body.
This calibration was carried out in warranty of the new lenses (50mm f1.4, 100mm f2.8L macro and 70-200 f4L).
Front or backfocussing is a well known issue and can be corrected at a Canon service point.
I am very happy with the results.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 06:53:13 PM »
I had my body and lenses calibrated at DSP (Digital Service Point) in Nederweert (Netherlands) after focussing problems with three new lenses.
I brought my body with the lenses.
First the body was calibrated with a dedicated calibration lens in a service setup.
Then the lenses one by one were adjusted to the calibrated body.
This calibration was carried out in warranty of the new lenses (50mm f1.4, 100mm f2.8L macro and 70-200 f4L).
Front or backfocussing is a well known issue and can be corrected at a Canon service point.
I am very happy with the results.

That is exactly how they do it, they calibrate each separately.  If you have multiple lenses and all but one focus accurately, don't send the camera in, if its adjusted, then the rest of your lenses may be off.  I have 15 or 16 lenses, virtually all of them are close to perfect, so if I get a lens that isn't, it goes in for a fix.

amarelux

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 06:58:47 PM »
Last year I took a virtually new 24-70L to Canon in Irvine, California, to be electronically recalibrated because it was back-focusing. I was assured by Canon that the lens would not be dismantled.  However, when I returned to pickup the lens, I was told that three collars were replaced (on a brand news lens, go figure).  I was upset because I had specifically instructed the service center to not open the lens because it was new and I was going to return it if it could not be electronically recalibrated. Also, after the "service" the barrel was slightly loose and the focusing inconsistent, so I called and complained to Canon corporate in NY.  A really nice lady at Canon confirmed that my request was not honored and authorized a free replacement lens, which I received  and was very pleased with because the AF is accurate on the new lens.
5D Mark lll, 24-70L, 70-200L, TC 2X lll, 580EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 06:58:47 PM »