October 21, 2014, 11:45:59 PM

Author Topic: So...what am I doing wrong with this scan?  (Read 726 times)

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
So...what am I doing wrong with this scan?
« on: March 30, 2013, 02:46:23 PM »
So I just got the Epson v600 scanner to scan some of my 120 film negatives that I have started to take. Then decided to get ViewScan rather than the Epson software, and so far I like VueScan better. However, I seem to be having an issue with some digital noise as part of my scan. Top image is my scan, bottom is the scan I received from Samy's when I got the film developed. Anyway have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

So...what am I doing wrong with this scan?
« on: March 30, 2013, 02:46:23 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
Re: So...what am I doing wrong with this scan?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »
Slide or negative?   Have you calibrated the scanner?   How do specify the film type to vuescan?

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 04:09:42 PM »
Negative, not calibrated yet, but if you look at the guy in the black shirt you'll see a ton of digital noise in my scan.

For the VueScan settings:

Mode: Transparency
Media: Color Negative
Scan Resolution: 3200dpi
No multi-exposure, single pass
Filter: Light Infrared Clean, Light Grain Reduction

Color:
Color Balance: Auto Levels
Negative Vendor: Kodak
Negative Brand: Porta
Negative Type: 160NC
Film Color Space: Built-In
Ouput color space: Adobe RGB
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »
You've got the black point set up too high, just like pushing shadows from a raw-file, you'll end up with noise.
Here's some screenshots of what I do, different equipment probably, but this illustrates what I do using my Epson v750 on ImageScan! for Linux under GIMP with the epkowa driver (ymmv).

Set the gamma to max (5, lowest contrast), White point to min (brightest), set the blackpoint to the lowest where it looks 'black' enough, but doesn't muddy everything else:

Set the gamma to min (0, highest contrast), set the whitepoint to just above where it clips highlights:

Then set the gamma until it looks good:

Once it's scanned, check the curves and do a final tweak:

You can see here that the white-point was maybe set a bit high when scanning, so i've pushed the whites up a bit in the curves. If i was particular about this shot, i'd go back and re-scan with the whitepoint down a bit to get more info and stretch the info a bit more.

Here's a 100% crop at 1600dpi, absolutely no noise in the black (in the shadows or film border):

(I only scan 120 film at 1600dpi initially, keeps the filesize down to 10MP or so. Once i've decided what's "good" I'll do a proper wet-mount scan at 3200dpi for a 40MP file, sharpen and whatnot on that one).

OK, so no points for artistic merit, first on the roll to check the light-reading. Also, I have 'Unsharp mask' in the scanning software turned definitively OFF. I'll sharpen my own stuff using this method (or a similar variant). auto-software sharpening increases grain and noise, and dust-redustion and everything fancy is also off.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »