July 22, 2014, 05:24:39 AM

Author Topic: Microsoft Releases RAW Codec Pack for Windows 7 & Vista  (Read 13660 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Releases RAW Codec Pack for Windows 7 & Vista
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 12:23:49 PM »

It seems like the only thing this new download is good for is being able to preview RAW files without opening a heavyweight program like Photoshop or Digital Photo Professional.

I'm curious as to what people will do with this.

well if you read the provided info you will see that VIEWING IS the ONLY thing this codecs are good for.

what else do you expect?

M$ will not give you a free raw converter....
M$ will not add support in Adobe programs.

I have the same error.  I tried the X86 version first, then the AMD64.  I am wondering if my registery got messed up doing that. 

i don´t think so.... i tried the 64 bit version first on my win7 64 bit system.

I've Win 7 64 bit on all 6 of my Dell machines as well, Let me know if you solve it.  I haven't been able to install service pack 1 either, so I may have to start new.  I was waiting for the new generation of SSD drives to arrive this fall, I'd like the 500 - 750 Mbps ones rather than the current slower models.  And I want Intel, or Kingston, not one of the junk brands that are dropping like flies.

I have a SSD now, but really did not want to srase it and start over, I prefer to start with a new drive, keeping the old one in reserve and then moving it to a different machine when I'm sure the new drive is reliable.

I guess I'll create a image and then redo it this weekend.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 12:23:49 PM »

ions

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • ions' flickr
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »
So all this does is allow you to look at raw files in explorer? I've been looking at raw files in my file manager in Linux since I got the camera and simply added raw support.
Gear: Canon EOS 5DIII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70 ƒ2.8L | Canon 100 ƒ2.8L | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC, 804RC2 head.
flickr

mattbru

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 01:31:22 PM »
What? No support for the 60D? Or T3i?  Sheesh.  Microsoft, only a year behind the times.

Worked fine with my 60D

neverhood311

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 06:31:50 PM »
well if you read the provided info you will see that VIEWING IS the ONLY thing this codecs are good for.

what else do you expect?

Sorry, just wishful thinking. I don't really feel liking buying Photoshop CS5 or Adobe Lightroom 3 at the moment. I'll have to deal with Digital Photo Professional for now.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 09:33:25 PM »
[Sorry, just wishful thinking. I don't really feel liking buying Photoshop CS5 or Adobe Lightroom 3 at the moment. I'll have to deal with Digital Photo Professional for now.

While in DPP, highlight them all click send to Photoshop[, and they will be converted to tiff images and can be edited in photoshop.  Raw images are actually tiff images plus propriatary add-ons and other info from the camera, so you are not losing anything this way.

You can also get the free adobe converter and batch convert to dng, as dng images they can be edited in photoshop cs2 as well.

Velo Steve

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Photos on Flickr (mostly removed when the changed the site)
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 01:25:07 PM »
For what it's worth, here's my experience.  I have an Intel 64-bit processor, and Windows 7 64 bit.  My files are .CR2 files from a 40D, and they display fine in Photoshop.

Installed the _x86 file.  The preview pane doesn't show a raw image.  No error messages.
Uninstalled.
Installed the _amd64 file.  The preview pane doesn't show raw image.  No error messages.

The Microsoft site mentions Windows Live, but I don't use that (at least not in any way I'm aware of).  Either this software doesn't work or it has some obscure use that doesn't apply to anything I do.  I'm uninstalling it.

WarStreet

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 01:58:38 PM »
Raw images are actually tiff images plus propriatary add-ons and other info from the camera, so you are not losing anything this way.

As far as I know although TIFF are loss-less when saved compared to JPG, they are 'cooked', burned in settings in them, and you lose the flexibility of the true RAW file, such as DR. Check the diagrams here : http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/raw.html

would like some clarification about this.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 02:01:27 PM by WarStreet »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 01:58:38 PM »

DockNorth

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 02:10:32 PM »
For what it's worth, here's my experience.  I have an Intel 64-bit processor, and Windows 7 64 bit.  My files are .CR2 files from a 40D, and they display fine in Photoshop.

Installed the _x86 file.  The preview pane doesn't show a raw image.  No error messages.
Uninstalled.
Installed the _amd64 file.  The preview pane doesn't show raw image.  No error messages.

The Microsoft site mentions Windows Live, but I don't use that (at least not in any way I'm aware of).  Either this software doesn't work or it has some obscure use that doesn't apply to anything I do.  I'm uninstalling it.

I have AMD 64 bit processor and Windows 7 Proffessional 64 bit and I can see CR2 images in preview pane after first install of amd64 file.  Either MS really only meant it for AMD 64 bit processors or installing the x86 file first causes an error when installing the correct amd64 file subsequently.

Canihaspicture

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 02:39:13 PM »
By AMD 64 they probably meant the x86-64 AMD architecture (aka AMD64) which is used by all the new Intel chips. Not for the IA64 architecture for servers.

But Intel did make some minor changes and called it Intel 64 so who knows... I'd like to hear from someone else with an Intel x64 chip.

I'm too poor to upgrade myself and the new chips with native USB 3 and thunderbolt don't come out until next year so I will wait.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 05:25:56 PM »
Raw images are actually tiff images plus propriatary add-ons and other info from the camera, so you are not losing anything this way.

As far as I know although TIFF are loss-less when saved compared to JPG, they are 'cooked', burned in settings in them, and you lose the flexibility of the true RAW file, such as DR. Check the diagrams here : http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/raw.html

would like some clarification about this.

Tagged-Image File Format (TIFF, TIF) is used to exchange files between applications and computer platforms. TIFF is a flexible bitmap image format supported by virtually all paint, image-editing, and page-layout applications. Also, virtually all desktop scanners can produce TIFF images. TIFF documents have a maximum file size of 4 GB. Photoshop CS and later supports large documents saved in TIFF format. However, most other applications and older versions of Photoshop do not support documents with file sizes greater than 2 GB.

TIFF format supports CMYK, RGB, Lab, Indexed Color, and Grayscale images with alpha channels and Bitmap mode images without alpha channels. Photoshop can save layers in a TIFF file; however, if you open the file in another application, only the flattened image is visible. Photoshop can also save notes, transparency, and multiresolution pyramid data in TIFF format.

In Photoshop, TIFF image files have a bit depth of 8, 16, or 32 bits per channel. You can save high dynamic range images as 32‑bits-per-channel TIFF files.

Image Translation from CR2 to TIFF:
CR2 format: Canon digital camera RAW image format abbreviated as CR2 is an image file format written by the popular Canon digital cameras. Raw format is he data that is directly written to the memory from the CCD or CMOS chip without any alteration, processing and compression. CR2 files contain lot of information and these files are stored as per the TIFF Standards with some modification to the file and are also inclusive of the EXIF details. 

TIFF: Tagged image file format abbreviated as TIFF is a tag based file format which is projected to promote the interchange the digital imaging data. TIFF is a globally standardized graphics format that is used virtually by all graphic programs running in the world. TIFF is the only format that has a pro with an equivalent con to itself: there is no compression technique used, no loss of data associated, thus the file size increases to enormous proportions.

All Digital cameras normally save images in either JPEG or RAW format. Most individuals save the files in JPEG format; however it is better to save in CR2 rather in the JPEG format. JPEG deteriorates the quality of the images while CR2 camera raw format keeps the quality intact without losing on the image details. A CR2 format is a camera raw format that can also contain information on text along with the image details and other relevant conditions in the camera that gets captured when a picture is taken. All the images in a CR2 format are based on the basic TIFF Standard. Accordingly, the final output delivered to client is in the TIF format with the Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP) format. On client's request, we also provide output in JPEG format commuted from the camera raw file format (CR2). On the other hand, TIFF is a very flexible format that can handle multiple images and data in a single file itself. The TIFF format is also widely backed up by the image-manipulation applications, thus improvising the final image output through quality driven services.

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 01:03:58 AM »
By AMD 64 they probably meant the x86-64 AMD architecture (aka AMD64) which is used by all the new Intel chips. Not for the IA64 architecture for servers.

But Intel did make some minor changes and called it Intel 64 so who knows... I'd like to hear from someone else with an Intel x64 chip.

I'm too poor to upgrade myself and the new chips with native USB 3 and thunderbolt don't come out until next year so I will wait.

I am using Intel core i7 920 and Windows 7 64 bit. Installed AMD64 version and it worked without a hitch.
It's handy to have this .

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 03:07:44 AM »
Interesting!  I would've loved to have this months ago.  However, I'm doing just fine using Irfanview instead.  I'll forego installing this for now since it'd just be another thing to load into memory.  It's a step in the right direction, though.  Too bad the native Windows 7 viewers are so bad (what, no AniGIF support at all?  Even the broken old support was better than nothing...)

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 07:17:24 AM »

It seems like the only thing this new download is good for is being able to preview RAW files without opening a heavyweight program like Photoshop or Digital Photo Professional.

I'm curious as to what people will do with this.

what else do you expect?

I have the same error.  I tried the X86 version first, then the AMD64.  I am wondering if my registery got messed up doing that. 

i don´t think so.... i tried the 64 bit version first on my win7 64 bit system.

I've Win 7 64 bit on all 6 of my Dell machines as well, Let me know if you solve it.  I haven't been able to install service pack 1 either, so I may have to start new.  I was waiting for the new generation of SSD drives to arrive this fall, I'd like the 500 - 750 Mbps ones rather than the current slower models.  And I want Intel, or Kingston, not one of the junk brands that are dropping like flies.

I have a SSD now, but really did not want to srase it and start over, I prefer to start with a new drive, keeping the old one in reserve and then moving it to a different machine when I'm sure the new drive is reliable.

I guess I'll create a image and then redo it this weekend.

Unless you have Sata 6Gbps interfaces, then you will end up with new machines as well  :D
Take a look at the OCZ Vertex 3E range - available now with the new Sanforce controllers - currently the king of the hill, likely to be around for quite a while.
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 07:17:24 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 10:43:58 AM »
Unless you have Sata 6Gbps interfaces, then you will end up with new machines as well  :D
Take a look at the OCZ Vertex 3E range - available now with the new Sanforce controllers - currently the king of the hill, likely to be around for quite a while.

I would not use OCZ if they were free, they are well known for failing, and in a business, failures cost more to fix than you save by their low cost.  OCZ is for gamers and those who like to play with their pc's, not for serious high reliability use.

I'll wait until Intel gets their new controller working.  Its not the controller thats the issue its the memory itself that fails.

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 11:51:05 AM »
Um, intel have had problems with their SSD and firmware as well. Also their Sata 3Gbps motherboard controllers in the Sandybridge support chips.

It is of course your choice, but a) I'm not a gamer, and b) I've not had problems with OCZ, Crucial or others over the past 3 years, plus it was only a suggestion ;-)

Memory for SSDs is only sourced from a handful of manufacturers e.g. Micron, Toshiba, Samsung. The OCZ controllers (until recently are not theirs), just the firmware etc.

If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 11:51:05 AM »