December 18, 2014, 10:24:30 PM

Author Topic: Does Canon really have a Flagship Stills Camera?  (Read 32137 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Does Canon really have a Flagship Stills Camera?
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »
Hmmmm, nothing about  higher resolution and a large DR, two parameters Canon seems to have forgotten the last years.

Forgotten?  Hmmmm, so Canon are stupid and/or foolish?  That seems to be the Troll Party platform these days.  Could it possibly be that they've chosen to focus their R&D efforts in other areas?  Naaah.  Can't be.  DR is the most important aspect for a camera, for the vast majority of users, and Canon's forgetting about DR and resolution for the past several years has led to the erosion of their dSLR market share. 

Oh, wait...it hasn't. They've gained market share for the past several years, and is seems the 'low resolution, low DR' 5DIII is soundly thrashing the 'high resolution/wide DR' D800 in the marketplace.

Hmmmm, indeed.  It could be, just might possibly maybe, that Canon knows more about the needs of their customer base than the typical DRooling trolls here on CR.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »
To answer the 1DX vs. 5D3 files, I at least appreciate that someone thinks the 5D3 is a good camera and doesn't spout off D800 specs.  So that's a nice change.

However, push, pull, stretch, crop 1Dx files and 5D3 files and the 1Dx files win everytime.  Everytime.  This could only be due to the sensor.  Don't believe me?  I don't care.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2013, 10:07:16 AM »
The amount of misinformation in this thread is well ... staggering

Not information, but opinions

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2013, 10:10:40 AM »
I think what is confusing is that a casual observer could not pick out the best Canon on stats alone.

The first thing your 'casual observer' would notice is the 2x higher price of the 1D X, and then assume (correctly) that the 1D X is the superior camera.  But how relevant is that?  Is your average 'casual observer' going to plunk down $7K, or even $3K, on a camera?  Generally, such a decision involves some research. Such research might turn up a list like this:

Quote from: TDP
Canon EOS 1D X Feature Advantages Over the EOS 5D Mark III
More advanced metering system (100k pixel, 252 zone RGB vs 63 zone iFCL)
EOS iTR AF (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition AF including facial recognition)
Frame rate is 2x faster (12 fps vs. 6 fps)
Higher frame burst rating (RAW: 38 vs. 18 rated / 54 vs. 33 tested)
AF point-linked spot metering and Multi-spot metering
Faster AF driven by more powerful battery pack (with select Canon L lenses)
EV 0-20 Metering range (vs. EV 1-20)
Higher native ISO settings available (51200 vs. 25600)
Higher expanded ISO settings available (204800 vs. 102400)
Less high ISO noise
Faster X-sync speed (1/250 vs. 1/200)
Dual DIGIC 5+ processors plus DIGIC 4 processor dedicated to AE functions
(5D III has a single DIGIC 5+ processor and a non-specified AF-dedicated processor)
Higher battery life rating (1,120 vs. 950 shots)
Higher shutter durability rating (400,000 vs. 150,000 cycles)
Higher viewfinder magnification (.76x vs .71x)
Shorter viewfinder blackout time
Viewfinder provides more nose relief from LCD (less nose spots on LCD)
Has a viewfinder shutter
Built-in Ethernet Port
More advanced self-cleaning sensor
Better Weather Sealing
Built in vertical grip
Accepts optional focus screens
7 LCD brightness levels (vs. 3)
More custom functions (31 vs. 13)

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Feature Advantages Over the Canon EOS 1D X
Price (a big advantage for most of us)
Higher resolution (22.3 mp vs 18.1 mp)
In-camera HDR mode
Headphone jack
Lighter weight with lighter battery
Compatible with Canon wireless infrared remotes such as the RC-6
Much quieter silent mode

Hmmmm, nothing about  higher resolution and a large DR, two parameters Canon seems to have forgotten the last years.

Is the D800 Nikon's flagship camera due to higher resolution or is it the D4 due to build quality, higher ISO, more FPS?

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2013, 10:18:56 AM »
If Flagship = top camera that I aspire to, it would have to be the 1D-C. All the yummy goodness of the 1D-X and then some.
5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2013, 11:13:13 AM »
To answer the 1DX vs. 5D3 files, I at least appreciate that someone thinks the 5D3 is a good camera and doesn't spout off D800 specs.  So that's a nice change.

However, push, pull, stretch, crop 1Dx files and 5D3 files and the 1Dx files win everytime.  Everytime.  This could only be due to the sensor.  Don't believe me?  I don't care.

THey do handle much better, which is nice. While the sensor is a big part I feel the other internals contribute to it as well. I would be interested in the difference in the firmware which may be more robust and better at processing in the 1Dx due to the dual processors.

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2013, 11:25:44 AM »

Not information, but opinions

Not really, because people at CR tend to cite their opinions as "facts".

5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2013, 11:25:44 AM »

gary

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2013, 11:42:08 AM »
The notion of a 'Flagship' is ridiculous and is the problem when we look for something to be everything for everyone when we all want something different albeit slightly. Why not ask the question what is the Flagship lens, as each of our requirements are different we are likely to disagree. Can anyone tell me what BMW's flagship is, or Mercedes, Porsche, we may well all have our own idea's. Perhaps a better way to view it would be to say, 'Which of canons camera's leads the way with cutting edge technology and how does it compete with the competition'.
It seems to me that we spend way too much time being critical when a newly released camera doesn't meet our individual needs. It seems to me that Canon made the first steps towards improving low light resolution with their recent camera's 1DX, 5D3, something that people had been critical of for some years. This is a journey and not everything will be resolved in one camera.
So if we are to have a flagship, then for me its the 5D3 as it meets my requirements at this time.
5D Mkiii -  16-35L mkii, 24-70L mkii, 70-200L IS mkii, 85 1.8

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2013, 11:42:56 AM »

You might want to save this to your clipboard and just re-post it periodically. It pretty much summarizes the majority of threads on this site.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2013, 03:58:03 AM »
Does the competition also seem to offer better lenses for the same or less money?
there's give and take between canon and nikon, each have a bit of something the other doesn't, much of it being quite comparable otherwise.
Pentax is certainly weak on modern glass.
MFT/FT is coming along fairly well.

Do they give you free software to process their RAW images? You need to compare system cost, not just camera cost.
Nikon's free ViewNX processes raw files
Pentax supplies SilkyPix (for free) and can also save DNG files directly as its native raw format on many bodies.

baddaboom ;)

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2013, 04:43:24 AM »

You might want to save this to your clipboard and just re-post it periodically. It pretty much summarizes the majority of threads on this site.

+1

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2013, 05:35:53 AM »
Hilarious stuff, I love Canon Rumours, great way to finish off the day down here in Asia Land, having a good laugh. it would be even more Hilarious to find out that the chap that started this Post, uses a D800 or a D4, or a Box Brownie.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

tomscott

• 5D Mark III
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2013, 07:30:38 AM »
The 1Dx is better than the 5DMKIII in terms of IQ but your talking minute differences. Make a print and you would be very hard pressed to find a difference.

Both are flagship cameras in my mind, both are incredible and I think possibly for the marketplace for professional photography the best ever produced.

I don't like the 1D cameras simply for their size and weight rather have a smaller body.

The whole argument is like handbags at 10 paces.
5D MKIII 40D 17-55mm F2.8 IS 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 IS L 100mm F2.8 IS L 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS L 50mm F1.8 2x Ex 580EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2013, 07:30:38 AM »

mikemilton

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2013, 07:42:34 AM »
What a ridiculous thread.

I've had many Canon bodies starting with the 30D and presently the 1Dx. Anyone moaning about the poor sad 1Dx has never used one... it is simply spectacular. I find it hard to believe that people whining for ridiculous megapixel counts either need them (for what exactly, how many images of theirs have suffered) or prefer the tradeoffs involved.

So technology keeps moving on and there will be a next great thing but, personally, I have 0 interest in more megapixels, don't need more fps, and am quite delighted with the recent new capabilities in exposure and tracking.

RickSpringfield

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2013, 08:17:33 AM »
Hilarious stuff, I love Canon Rumours, great way to finish off the day down here in Asia Land, having a good laugh. it would be even more Hilarious to find out that the chap that started this Post, uses a D800 or a D4, or a Box Brownie.

No such luck ... I shoot Canon :)

The first thing your 'casual observer' would notice is the 2x higher price of the 1D X, and then assume (correctly) that the 1D X is the superior camera.  But how relevant is that?  Is your average 'casual observer' going to plunk down $7K, or even $3K, on a camera?  Generally, such a decision involves some research. Such research might turn up a list like this:
Quote from: TDP

I think what's hard to grasp is why the 5D&6D have a bigger sensor than a 1DX; and the 7D is faster than a 5D; and the 6D has more connectivity features than a 5D or 1DX.

Maybe its just my quirky way of thinking ... but it would make more sense to me if the 7D was as it is today; the 6D (yes FPS too) was the 7D + FF sensor and connectivity; the 5D was the 6D + better/bigger sensor and low light; 1DX was the 5D + grip, processors, better sensor, FPS etc.

And of course those aren't all the bells and whistles that you could improve from one to the next, but you get the idea.  You start with a model and each model gets all the features of the prior + better stuff.

Thats what I meant by casual observer ... because to me you just sorta expect a natural flow.  I'm certain that isn't unique to Canon or really camera's at all and lots of brands dont exactly stair step up the line.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2013, 08:17:33 AM »