August 27, 2014, 07:09:31 AM

Author Topic: Does Canon really have a Flagship Stills Camera?  (Read 27968 times)

ewg963

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Does Canon really have a Flagship Stills Camera?
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2013, 08:37:27 AM »
What a ridiculous thread.

I've had many Canon bodies starting with the 30D and presently the 1Dx. Anyone moaning about the poor sad 1Dx has never used one... it is simply spectacular. I find it hard to believe that people whining for ridiculous megapixel counts either need them (for what exactly, how many images of theirs have suffered) or prefer the tradeoffs involved.

So technology keeps moving on and there will be a next great thing but, personally, I have 0 interest in more megapixels, don't need more fps, and am quite delighted with the recent new capabilities in exposure and tracking.
+100
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-105mm 70-200mm 2.8 Non IS, 100-400mm 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2013, 02:58:03 PM »
Both images are full size files.

I used the very cool MultiExposure method (as I learned here on CR). It's ONE raw file on both images, shadowpushed to +100 in LR, and +40-something with shadows in the tone curve. I was out to really push the shadows as a test, not to create a HDR-image, and this is why the whites are a bit over here and there. I specifically chose a VERY high contrast scene I didn't expect any camera to perform any good at all. And the light is nowhere near as crazy with the things I normally shoot, or care about if the subject looks good.

Those who say the 1d X is dissapointing need to figure out how to use it...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:16:31 PM by Viggo »
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2013, 03:45:14 PM »
***Is the 1DX really the Flagship Stills Camera?***

I ask this question because, as I sit here typing, I am thinking ... is there a camera which is uncompromising in image quality, features, and performance?  When I read in the forums and search online I find TONS of critisizm about Canon bodies, Canon lenses, and the company.  Yet, I have Canon, I've always had Canon.  Ever since Andre Agessi said I should.

So, I throw this question out there.  Does Canon make a body that is just flat out great?  IQ is NASA good?  Features like Voltron.  Performs like a river dancer?  I ask because it seems like every body has some level of compromise.  I mean if I look at every option (except for sensor) just on paper, their lineup should go 1DX, 7D, 5D3, 6D.  But if I look just at sensor it seems like it should be 5D3, 6D, 1Dx, 7D.  If I look at build then 1DX, 5D3, 7D, (everything else).

There just doesnt seem to be one camera in Canon's lineup which is 'The Best Camera Ever'.

Maybe that is the point, because ambiguity = moola for Canon. 

Agessi said the Rebel was best.  Then his hair fell out.  Karma???

The 7D is Canon's flagship still camera.
What is truth?

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2013, 04:29:44 PM »
When I was a kid, and my Mom would cut cake for us, my brother would always scream that he wanted the biggest piece of cake with the most frosting and sprinkles.  My Mom would make sure a smaller piece had more frosting just to drive him nuts.

But it's the 1DX bro, give it up.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2013, 04:38:36 PM »

I ask this question because, as I sit here typing, I am thinking ... is there a camera which is uncompromising in image quality, features, and performance?  When I read in the forums and search online I find TONS of critisizm about Canon bodies, Canon lenses, and the company.  Yet, I have Canon, I've always had Canon.  Ever since Andre Agessi said I should.

So, I throw this question out there.  Does Canon make a body that is just flat out great?  IQ is NASA good?  Features like Voltron.  Performs like a river dancer?  I ask because it seems like every body has some level of compromise.  I mean if I look at every option (except for sensor) just on paper, their lineup should go 1DX, 7D, 5D3, 6D.  But if I look just at sensor it seems like it should be 5D3, 6D, 1Dx, 7D.  If I look at build then 1DX, 5D3, 7D, (everything else).

There just doesnt seem to be one camera in Canon's lineup which is 'The Best Camera Ever'.

Maybe that is the point, because ambiguity = moola for Canon. 

Agessi said the Rebel was best.  Then his hair fell out.  Karma???

I really don't get this...seems like a no brainer..  1dx is the flagship, and when the big mp beast comes out it will be a shared throne between the 1dx and whatever they call the big mp beast. 

I also don't get your lineups and say top to bottom that the 7d beats out the 5d3?   The one thing the 7d has that the 5d3 doesn't is FPS, in every other respect the 5d3 beats the 7d in a landslide. 
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

davidson

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2013, 04:52:59 PM »
taken from us.canon.com

The Ultimate EOS.
Canon has brought the best of the EOS-1D Series of digital cameras into one phenomenal model: the new flagship of the EOS line, the EOS-1D X

seems pretty definitive to me

barton springs

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2013, 07:13:24 PM »

So, I throw this question out there.  Does Canon make a body that is just flat out great?

Dude:

So now we know you know a celebrity. He tells you to go Canon. WTF. Go take some pictures
with your flagship camera, one of the finest bodies on the planet. I stopped reading once I got
past what is above. Isn't anyone happy with their cameras. Nikon Canon whatever, etc etc.

Ladies and Gents once you master the art of picture taking down to the finest spec of any
detail ... if you have a pro body with the finest lenses I don't think it matters which brand
you have... or 1DX or Mark lV or 1Ds Mark lll. Can you operate that body up to it's maximum
potential? Really? Honestly?

Have these discussions once you are a master but until then be the best you can be with
that kick ass 1DX. I have one and a couple Mark lV's still. The Nikon guys have equally
good stuff too.

Master the art bro.

Rick
Austin

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2013, 07:48:45 PM »
a flagship camera does not help you to get a nice image... instead, your knowledge about arts/photography in general... eyes, color, gears, composition, etc does...

there is one wedding photographer currently bases in orange county, ca.  he claims that he has been receiving number of awards about photography and always shoot full manual.  well, he is shooting "full manual" with:

1. manual mode
2. auto iso, and
3. matrix/evaluative metering
4. auto white balance
5. any others, i do not know... but all of the above i know exactly that is his shooting style

question:  is it really full manual?  i personally think NOT.  below is an example of getting nice images without flagship...

example:  http://blog.zhangjingna.com/2010/10/equipment-and-where-money-comes-from.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:50:28 PM by ishdakuteb »

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2013, 05:09:12 PM »
According to Calumet's latest email blast... The t5i with all those HUGE upgrades since the T3i, is now considered a "FLAGSHIP"!!!!!!
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2013, 05:57:45 PM »
If Flagship = top camera that I aspire to, it would have to be the 1D-C. All the yummy goodness of the 1D-X and then some.

Top camera you aspire to?  Flagship is just top of the line, it has nothing to do with what your dream camera is.  For stills the 1DX is their flagship camera, but the 1DC is part of the Cinema EOS line, and is second from the bottom with the C500 being the flagship.  And after playing with the 1DC the video quality nowhere close to good enough to justify paying $5000 over a 1DX, you're not missing out on much.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2013, 05:58:16 PM »
below is an example of getting nice images without flagship...

example:  http://blog.zhangjingna.com/2010/10/equipment-and-where-money-comes-from.html

Thanks for this post. Great reality check.

I am so tired of these constant threads that repeat the same arguments over and over again. People constantly bragging about the size of their sensors. Others complaining about how when they underexpose a black shirt in the shadows they get noise if they blow it up 300 times. Still others wanting to shoot at 2 million ISO. Others point their lens straight into the Sun. It goes on and on.

If the picture is interesting, nothing else matters.  Nothing.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »
Honestly it sounds like OP just got into photography last week and is looking at # of megapixels as the sole factor in determining which camera is best. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »
There can only be one flagship in a fleet and it's the 1DX
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L / 300 4L / 100-400L

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »
There can only be one flagship in a fleet and it's the 1DX
I call that camera a fast sport camera with 18Mp resolution.

So do I. No disputes.

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
surely - a 'flagship camera' is the model almost every one aspires to own?

Having tried the 1DsIII - i was glad i opted for 2x 5D2. Twice the kit for the bucks (and the 5D2 did not lose much to the 1DsIII except maybe build quality and robustness). In fact that very argument is the reason the 1DsIII died an early death for most wedding and landscape photographers!

The same would apply to the 1DX - having tried, i make no apologies in saying i would love to own one - soooo many benefits over a 5D3, but the simple fact is, were i to get out today with £5k for a new body, i would come home with 2x 5D3's & a battery grip for one of the bodies.

What i find really interesting is how ALL manufacturers seem to be creating blurred lines between 'flagship model' and what most people consider more than acceptable - Nikon D4 and Nikon D800? Which would you call the 'flagship model'?
Having used and owned both a 5d II and 1 ds markIII it's fair to say all they really share is similar resolution. Metering, IQ , shadow detail, midtone color, skin tones all go hands down to the 1ds
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:17:27 PM by cpsico »